How many case studies for Geography A-Level?

Watch
annaolivex
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m doing AQA and I have the Hodder Education textbook. Do I need to learn each case study in there (for the chosen topics) to compare both in the same topic or do I pick one from each? Also what about examples?
frankieshep
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
Realistically you won’t need to learn every single one, you will need probably at least one for each physical geography topic (and two but not in large detail to compare natural hazards) but for human geography I found I could use the same case study for at least four or five topics. It makes it a lot easier to revise if you’ve got a few that you know in detail which you can apply to multiple questions such as the Holderness Coast or the South China Sea. Hope that helps
Last edited by frankieshep; 2 months ago
Ahjjjkkk
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
for hazards if u learn a multi hazardous environment like japan or Philippines you’d cover a lot of the spec within it. For carbon and water I’d say learn Amazon as it links both, and another one you have studied, I did river Exe. Choose case studies you’re confident with and which cover a lot of the content so you can use it for several answers. If you’re doing changing places, use a case study that covers a lot of the spec eg Detroit (as a far place) and a local case study, include factors such as past and present connections, character etc, and one for regeneration rebranding etc, I found that docklands covered all of this including past and present connections. the Hodder textbooks and revision guides have lots of case studies which sometimes cover the same topic and aren’t necessary to memorise.

As for comparing if you can remember stuff in your long term memory, perhaps comparing the response to a hazard for example, it would be useful to compare a hic with Nee or LIC. Even if questions don’t explicitly say to compare you could get more marks. I wouldn’t say stress over memorising everything if you just have a vague idea and can talk about it without intensely memorising then it would be useful. I guess to help with this you could choose case studies from different socio economic countries for both hazards and population and environment.
Last edited by Ahjjjkkk; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (29)
7.11%
October 2021 (189)
46.32%
November 2021 (42)
10.29%
December 2021 (53)
12.99%
January 2021 (44)
10.78%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (38)
9.31%