Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ''Arsenal in the final!''

(After Arsenal and Blackburn were paired in the FA Cup semi final draw)
    LOL! True, true..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ''Arsenal in the final!''

(After Arsenal and Blackburn were paired in the FA Cup semi final draw)
    lol, so true

ReputationRep:
    "Liverpools season in tatters"
    (After Blackburn stuff them at Analfield on Wednesday)

ReputationRep:
    "Liverpoo stink at Anfield"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afireinside©)
    Smooth :cool:

ReputationRep:
    "Toffees stuck with Uefa."
    ...after Liverpool win the Champions League, and hence deny Evertonians of their coveted European spot :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    "Toffees stuck with Uefa."
    ...after Liverpool win the Champions League, and hence deny Evertonians of their coveted European spot :p:
    "Moyes wins Manager of the Year"
    (After Moyes guides Everton to the coverted 4th spot :p: )

ReputationRep:
    probably chelsea - he nearly moved last season according to reports and it could happen again - any bid made by another team can be easily outbidded by the blues so liverpool will hold out for the best bid possible from them

ReputationRep:
    Probably for Scarborough, he's so overrated it's unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    If he moves it will be abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Probably for Scarborough, he's so overrated it's unbelievable.
    :eek: No he's not!

ReputationRep:
    Chelski.

Lampard and Makele are a better partnership.

However Jose and Roman will probably want to get their chequebooks out again.

ReputationRep:
    We don't want Gerrard! We want Adirano :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    :eek: No he's not!
    You won't be saying that if he leaves.

ReputationRep:
    The greatest event in sports

More popular than rugby, cricket, and the World Cup combined (**in the United States that is), the NCAA mens basketball tournament begins this week. Anyone here keep up with college basketball? Who are you pulling for?

For those of you who don’t know what it is. The NCAA men’s tournament is the month long, single elimination, championship for college basketball. The top 64 teams (including all conference winners) participate in this tournament, held at the end of the basketball season. The best teams in the country who do not play each other during the regular season all battle it out for the National Championship. The tournament is very intense and fans travel all over the country to watch their teams play in every game.

Its a lot of fun to fill out a bracket with your predictions among friends each putting in a few dollars and the winner taking the pot. It is a very big deal in the states, growing up, they let us watch these games in school.

Here is a link to the bracket.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...rney/brackets/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    The greatest event in sports

More popular than rugby, cricket, and the World Cup combined (**in the United States that is), the NCAA mens basketball tournament begins this week. Anyone here keep up with college basketball? Who are you pulling for?

For those of you who don’t know what it is. The NCAA men’s tournament is the month long, single elimination, championship for college basketball. The top 64 teams (including all conference winners) participate in this tournament, held at the end of the basketball season. The best teams in the country who do not play each other during the regular season all battle it out for the National Championship. The tournament is very intense and fans travel all over the country to watch their teams play in every game.

Its a lot of fun to fill out a bracket with your predictions among friends each putting in a few dollars and the winner taking the pot. It is a very big deal in the states, growing up, they let us watch these games in school.

Here is a link to the bracket.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...rney/brackets/
    I KNEW you were going to start a thread on this!

ReputationRep:
    It's never been that big in the north, though. Of course, with no hockey this season, it might gain a greater footing. Here, it's really only popular with people who are involved in pools. No one else cares...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    It's never been that big in the north, though. Of course, with no hockey this season, it might gain a greater footing. Here, it's really only popular with people who are involved in pools. No one else cares...
    It is definately a big deal in the south- the bars are packed, it dominates the sports coverage. The NCAA television revenues are greater than the NBA playoffs, the NFL playoffs, and the MLB playoffs. I think its the most popular sporting even in the states (besides something like the olympics). I also think its the sporting event that people are most passionate about.

So you are not a college basketball fan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    It is definately a big deal in the south- the bars are packed, it dominates the sports coverage. The NCAA television revenues are greater than the NBA playoffs, the NFL playoffs, and the MLB playoffs. I think its the most popular sporting even in the states (besides something like the olympics). I also think its the sporting event that people are most passionate about.
    I think it all depends on what teams advance. I mean, only certain teams have very passionate followings.

So you are not a college basketball fan?
    No, it's not something we get into north of the mason-dixon line. Part of it, for me, might be because Pittsburgh has never had a major league basketball team, so the influence is insignificant. I'm a hockey and football person--with a focus on hockey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    I think it all depends on what teams advance. I mean, only certain teams have very passionate followings.
    Not really, the great thing about the tournament is that it is a very real possibility for small schools to advance. Because they allow in conference winners, very small private schools will get to participate. You have schools that with no big players, who normally play in a tiny gym getting to go play in some huge auditorium on national television. Anything can happen. There are numerous stories of very small schools playing great against a powerhouse and getting into the final four. Thats what its all about, once you make it to the tournery, ANYONE can win. And dont forget, there are 64 teams- thats a lot of games. There is nothing more exciting than the first couple of days when you are watching four games at once, waiting for your team to play, watching some big powerful school lose to some cinderalla team.. knowing your team is coming up.. being scared that they might get knocked off, but still hopefull that THIS could be thier year. Its great.

As for the fans, college fans are much more loyal and dedicated than fans of proffesional teams. Pro teams play for money, most college players will never make into the NBA and this is their only chance to shine. They play with heart, the fans love it. The more popular the team, the more 'bandwagon' trendy fans they have. Sometimes its the smaller schools that have the best fans.
    No, it's not something we get into north of the mason-dixon line. Part of it, for me, might be because Pittsburgh has never had a major league basketball team, so the influence is insignificant. I'm a hockey and football person--with a focus on hockey...
    I have tons of friends from the north that are huge NCAA fans and root for their teams. One of my very best freinds is a die hard Syracuse fan, I have lots of Uconn friends too. Look at one of the greatest teams in NCAA history- the Indiana Hoosiers- they are from the north.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.