Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ''West Brom Gear Up''

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm desparately in need of some basic swimming technique, I usually go swim for about 40 mins a couple of times a week. I usually do 25 lengths, but I have to stop and take a breather every few, is this because I'm just unfit? Or is it because I'm making myself unnecessarily tired? I'd like to be able to swim continuously at a decent speed, but I just get so tired. And by the time I'm on my last few lengths, I'm barely swimming at all, usually just thrashing around and taking absolutely ages to finish.

Does anybody know how I can improve some?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    i dont see wtf u goons are talking about after one of you infact started it

No, you goon. You started it.

The unjustified neg rep you gave me didn't count for much. It is a shame that you are so cowardly that you don't even sign your rep.

Don't go around pretending to be innocent, because you're not. "Goon".

ReputationRep:
    im watchin the match.. well done to the indian boys.. as i said pakistan wud be unpredictable and this loss after 4 straight wins proves that
    Why do you pakistani fans hide behind the lame excuse of unpredictability? Why can't you just face up to the fact that your team was not good enough?

Being consistent is a skill in itself, so unpredictability is a lack of a skill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I think I'm desparately in need of some basic swimming technique, I usually go swim for about 40 mins a couple of times a week. I usually do 25 lengths, but I have to stop and take a breather every few, is this because I'm just unfit? Or is it because I'm making myself unnecessarily tired? I'd like to be able to swim continuously at a decent speed, but I just get so tired. And by the time I'm on my last few lengths, I'm barely swimming at all, usually just thrashing around and taking absolutely ages to finish.

Swimming is demanding on the body but technique is very important and probably the reason why you get tired out soo easily.

ReputationRep:
    same thing happens to me. but the more u swim the better u get.

however, i can swim 1000m+ but i still cant understand the technique for front crawl. i can only do paddle, backstroke and butterfly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)

um. what strokes do you do, and how much do you exert yourself over the few lengths?it sounds like you are flat out as fast as you can? i think for you the main thing is practice, concentrating on stroke initially rather than speed. the speed will come as your stroke improves, and all the practice will increase your stamina...

ReputationRep:
    lol, if we r chattin bout neg rep, i get it 4 almost every single post i make! some say 'any news is good news' and i believe 'any rep is good rep' as it shows u r having an impact!!!

ReputationRep:
    break your strokes down between legs and feet. Go find one of those floats they have around pools and start with your legs only...on say breasktroke. Work on kicking and then gliding for as long as possible before the next stroke. Legs only sucks for frontcrawl and backstroke so you might want to skip those.
    Then put the float between your legs (this is a bit more tricky and it might well pop out a few times) and do arms only of all the strokes you want...think about efficiency...glide with every stroke....see how low a stroke rate you can manage without going incredibly slow.
    with frontcrawl it's also useful to try and think about being stream lined...dont like your arm slap down onto the water...slip it in in a forward moving motion then pull down. It's all about gliding, it takes much less effort.

But i think a major factor is fitness....but you should be noticing improvement with that!

ReputationRep:
    If you like, I'll come along and teach you one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I think rowing would be fun, but almost impossible for me as I am not terribly fit (am working on my fitness now, on my gap year) and am going to Cambridge
    Oh don't be ridiculous! I spent summer being a lardarse, then noviced in Mich term along with thousands of others, and it kicks you into shape. Nobody expects novices to know what to do, it's all part of the fun of it, and unless you're super-keen you don't have to do lots of crazy fitness training right away.

(Original post by Willa)
    But there is only ONE thing that it's worth doing that all for: Winning! I can tell you, from personal experience, that winning...beating people who have trained hard as well (and expected to beat you) feels so damn amazing! It's far better than winning at any sport i've ever done before.....I row to win, simply that! So I hope that many of you will experience winning as well, and will keep with the rowing, cos if you put in all that effort and get nowhere i can tell you that it can feel pretty crap! It was so crap for me last term that I went and rowed for another college and won a few races...much more fun!
    Well, we haven't won anything yet. And I doubt we will any time soon, but racing is good anyway, though it makes you want to die at the time. Ironic how Will wins his first races by racing for Clare, but I've never won anything (apart from preliminary rounds of regattas) for them! I think our best feeling was when we got onto bumps; for the top flight rowers this is completely unimportant but for us it was the whole point of our term's training - if we didn't get on, we couldn't race bumps, and nobody wants to go through the hell that is lent term training (cold, rain, dark, crap) and not be able to do bumps. That was actually the highlight, because bumps itself was fairly poor considering how well we should have done.

Anyway, I digress - yes, it's perfectly possible to start rowing at uni even if you've never been near a boat or a rowing machine. A lot of people who use rowing machines will have dodgy technique anyway, and I can tell you that being in a boat is just SOOOOO different, it won't necessarily have been an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    i agree with the technique thing....i feel like such a stuck up little cambridge rower when i go to the gym now. When I used to go to the gym a year ago, I never noticed other people's technique on the ergs when I used them....but now when I'm sitting there for the best part of an hour, I find myself analysing the absolutely horrific technique of the people who go on the ergs near me. They do it so terribly wrong, their form is horrific, their pace is simply crazy...and urgh it just makes me want to shout at them

ReputationRep:
    i think 4 straight wins is pretty consistent?
    Why cant you admit you were beaten soundly in the last test by one of the worst pakistan line ups in the past few decades? Forget the ODI, you were evenly matched by a team branded "weak and unfunctioning" and pushed all the way.

ReputationRep:
    i dont wana argue.. so lets get back on topic about the forthcoming ODI's ok

ReputationRep:
    i think 4 straight wins is pretty consistent?
    Why cant you admit you were beaten soundly in the last test by one of the worst pakistan line ups in the past few decades? Forget the ODI, you were evenly matched by a team branded "weak and unfunctioning" and pushed all the way.
    why dont u admit that the 4 straight wins were in meaningless matches......

on one hand u try to defend ur beloved pakistan, on the other u bet 500 on india winning the ODI series on the vbookie thing!

ReputationRep:
    u know what alkaeda? you are talking absolute drivel. the pakistan side in the bangalore test was pretty much your full strength side minus one player in shoaib akhtar,and how well did he do against india in pakistan?

look im happy to admit pak are a better odi side. thats cos i know test matches are far more important and that india are a much better test side than pakistan, a 1-1 draw will not change that fact

(Original post by topdude)
    why dont u admit that the 4 straight wins were in meaningless matches......

on one hand u try to defend ur beloved pakistan, on the other u bet 500 on india winning the ODI series on the vbookie thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)

look im happy to admit pak are a better odi side.
    aap pagal hai bhaiya??

i believe india are the better odi side and test side, and not coz im just being a typical indian, india this, india that, but i honestly think its true, as do most pakistanis. i think we are second only to aussies in both forms of cricket.

ReputationRep:
    yeah why waste your time on something so pointless?

its gona be a very good odi series.although i really feel for the players, the bcci has absolutely no humanity in them whatsoever, making them play 6 odis , all day games in the hottest parts of india at the hottest time of year. i bet they are glad the lanka series has been cancelled else they probably would have been on IV drips by the end of the year.

look at the west indies! giving south africans a real fright, who needs lara ey? and gayle, AND sarwan. i still predict saf to win the series 2 zip but if west indies can bowl like this more regularly theyll be a better force

i dont wana argue.. so lets get back on topic about the forthcoming ODI's ok

ReputationRep:
    and in response to someone earlier, pak were most definitely NOT a class B bowling attack in the tests. they were missing ONE player in akhtar, who was coming back from injury, and has a poor recent test record against india, how well do u honestly think he would have performed? also, one of the reasons pak did so well was their amazing team spirit and attitude, i think akhtar would have seriously hindered that as he is not a team player, he might have even been detrimental to your cause had he played! gul and shabbir have been out for a year now, and they wouldnt have made the starting eleven anyway so why make out your bowling attack is so weak when it obviously isnt?

(Original post by ravs)
    yeah why waste your time on something so pointless?

its gona be a very good odi series.although i really feel for the players, the bcci has absolutely no humanity in them whatsoever, making them play 6 odis , all day games in the hottest parts of india at the hottest time of year. i bet they are glad the lanka series has been cancelled else they probably would have been on IV drips by the end of the year.

look at the west indies! giving south africans a real fright, who needs lara ey? and gayle, AND sarwan. i still predict saf to win the series 2 zip but if west indies can bowl like this more regularly theyll be a better force

ReputationRep:
    no im not a pagal, im a huge patriot and it does pain me to say this but:

india are not the 2nd best side in test cricket. i believe we were after the pak and aus tour but after this poor season, and englands amazing run, they are a better side at the moment. i dont think we can dispute that. yes we didnt get the luxury of playing the worst indies in 8 tests in the space of 6 months, but they beat a good nz team and a saf team that , although not as good as it used to be, is always ALWAYS very good at home and never easy to beat.

in odis, since the world cup final, we have played poor odi cricket apart from glimpses in pakistan and the vb series. pak are a better odi side than us, they have a much more balanced side. india boast better batting but that has really failed this season in odi games. we dont show the same fighting spirit as we did in previous seasons eg natwest final, which i went to.

like i say, im a huge huge fan and nobody follows india more than i do but i think we really need to get out of this bubble of overpraising ouselves when we win. look at the results, we win in port of spain, lose in barbados next test. we win in adelaide, lose at melbourne nxt test. we win in multan, lose in lahore next test. win in rawalpindi, lose againt aus in bangalore, next test. we win in kolkata, lose in bangalore. we need to stop this ridiculous thing about kolkata 2001 and adelaide 2003, they are gone. we can use them for inspiration but we can no longer talk about taming the aussies, after all it was 4 years ago now.

the reason why we overpraise ourselves after one stellar performance is the very cause of us performing so badly in a game so near after this terrific performance as the next one.

(Original post by topdude)
    aap pagal hai bhaiya??

i believe india are the better odi side and test side, and not coz im just being a typical indian, india this, india that, but i honestly think its true, as do most pakistanis. i think we are second only to aussies in both forms of cricket.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.