Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Technique is important and you concentrate on it so that when you forget about the technique and just go for it, some of what you learnt stays... because in a 2k race you don't really think about whether your back is in the right position. You just go for it. You can see photos of Pinsent or Redgrave in positions that would be considered terrible technically.
3' is still a really good time for a woman so she must have been doing something right.
I'm sorry but do you really mean that!? 3 mins for 500m is utter crap, even for a girl. I would expect most reasonably fit girls to at least break 2 mins....and 500m is such a quick sprint that the fastest times are obtained by monster rugby players with nearly zero technique.

And I can't speak for hoofbeat, but the technique I'm talking about when I watch the people next to me erg is basically an incredibly arched back, rating 38, they slide forwards, without leaning over at all, bending their legs and crashing their hands into their knees, then they get to the front of the their slide, slam forward their arched back then pull horribly awkwardly with their arms flinging their body backwards, doing nearly nothing with their legs. It looks absoutely horrific....the bending the knees before hands are over them is what gets me the most though. And I do honestly feel like saying something to these people, not for their health, but because if they row properly they can go so much faster...

...some of them think it's just about causing as much pain as possible as quickly as possible (at least that's what it looks like). One guy jumped on an erg next to me the other day (I was pulling a steady 2:03ish at rate 21) and gave me a look like "ha...I'll show you". Then he strapped himself in and set it up for 1000m. Off he goes, horrific technique....rating 40 or something, but admittabley pulling 1:40. 30 seconds later he's died to rate 35 and his split is plunging. With 250m to go he's struggling to keep his split under 2mins, frantically trying to keep his rate above 28. And he finishes his row at a slower split time than me (cant remember what exactly) and sits their panting, while I just keep going at my 2:03 rate 21 with a slight smile on my face.

What I hate to think is that I might have rowed like that before though! I only think that because before rowing at uni I never used to look at other people using the ergs like that. I just dont dare say anything, no adult would want a swotty 18 year old telling them how it's done anyway (actions speak louder than words in this case )
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
I just dont dare say anything, no adult would want a swotty 18 year old telling them how it's done anyway (actions speak louder than words in this case )
It wouldnt actually make any difference anyway! Just think how much coaching and how many training sessions it took for you to get your technique on the erg as good as it is now!

Sam - you really should be thinking about technique on a 2k, for a start itll make you go faster, you cant just get to a race and think 'lets forget about rowing properly and just munt it' - there is more to a 2k than just 'going for it'
chilipop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jose Mourinho's absence from Stamford Bridge is being tipped to motivate Chelsea on their Champions League mission against Bayern Munich.

Blues defender Robert Huth believes that Mourinho's touchline ban, and subsequent decision to watch the game elsewhere, will spur the players to perform at their highest level for the former Porto boss.

Huth said: "It will be a blow not to have him in the dressing room but it could also be a boost for us to show everyone else in Europe what we can do without him.

"Obviously it would be better if we had the manager in the dressing room but we've got some good leaders in the team. If we have problems, I think we can sort them out amongst ourselves."

Mourinho, given a two-game suspension by UEFA for bringing the game into disrepute for the controversial comments he made during and after their previous Champions League clash with Barcelona, has decided to stay away from the ground.

His assistant, Baltemar Brito revealed the outspoken coach will watch the quarter-final first leg elsewhere on television and there will be no contact with the bench via mobile phone or any other form of communication.

It has been suggested that Mourinho's Chelsea future was in doubt because he was angry as the the club's failure to launch an appeal against his two-match ban.

Brito did nothing to silence the persistent rumours when asked about the matter at Tuesday's pre-match press conference.

Brito said: "When Jose comes to a club or starts a new job, he gives 100% and expects 100% back.

"It is something you would have to ask Jose directly but I acknowledge that Jose felt he did not get 100% back.

"Jose is feeling really good right now but in respect of him not being there, he's not too happy because he feels slightly hard done around the ban situation and so for that reason, he is not too happy.

"It was just his decision to stay away. He will watch the match on television. Jose will be in a private place on his own - a very peaceful place.

"There will be no contact with his members of staff. He will be away from the stadium."
chilipop
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The moment has arrived. AC Milan will face their city rivals Inter in the UEFA Champions’ League for the second time in three years. This time it is for a place in the semi-finals rather than the final but given the circumstances it will be just as tense and nervy an occasion for both clubs.

BACKGROUND

As everyone waits for this Euro derby to commence memories of the 2002/03 final come flooding back. Both legs back then were very tense and tight with AC Milan eventually going through to the final on the away goals rule. That year they went on to life the trophy. AC Milan have also gotten the better of their city rivals domestically this season. Inter were unbeaten until a Kaka’ goal handed AC Milan a 1-0 win and Inter their first loss of the season.

Inter are out of the race for ‘Lo Scudetto’ and both manager and president have stated that the Champions League has become top priority. For some players failure to help their team win the competition could see them being shown the door come the end of the season. Milan on the other hand are still fighting with Juventus for top spot in Serie A, a battle that looks as though it will go right down to the wire.

Many in the fashion capital of Milan are preparing themselves for the first leg of this tie. Those who will be watching the match on their TV sets at home will surely be packing away any items likely to be thrown in a moment of rage. I for one will make sure I have nothing in my hands for the full 90 minutes.

On paper the match promises to be an entertaining one and will no doubt be just that for those of us who know the ins and outs of Italian football. For the neutral who doesn’t always understand the pressure and emotions involved in Italian derby matches it may not be as exciting to watch as nerves tend to get the better of most players in these type of games.

TEAM NEWS:

Milan: Carlo Ancelotti has near as much a full squad to chose from for this tie. Shevchenko is back from injury and set to start alongside Hernan Crespo but probably wont last the full 90 minutes. Paolo Maldini is expected to move across to the left of the defence in order to make room for Jaap Stam in the centre.

Inter: A few days ago Roberto Mancini was facing the prospect of only having two fit strikers in his match squad. However, it is now understood that Christian Vieri is fit enough to be included. Mancini will also have to make do without Recoba, Adriano and Emre.

PLAYERS TO WATCH:

Milan: Andriy Shevchenko has been looking forward, hoping he would be fit to play in this match ever since the draw was announced. Inter may have their hands full if he is in one of those ruthless moods on the night. Also Kaka’ seems to find another gear against Inter and will look to continue this trend.

Inter: It has to be the young Nigerian Obafemi Martins. Generally Italian defenders have problems when it comes to keeping an eye on African players due to their phenomenal pace and Paolo Maldini has stated on more than once occasion how difficult it is to mark this one in particular.

PROBABLE STARTING XI’s:

Milan (4-3-1-2): Dida; Cafu, Nesta, Stam, Maldini; Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf; Kaka’; Shevchenko, Crespo

Inter (4-4-2): Toldo, J.Zanetti, Cordoba, Materazzi, Favalli; Veron, Cambiasso, C.Zanetti, Stankovic; Martins, Cruz

PREDICTION:

This is so tough to predict. I am going to go for a draw as I believe neither team will dare to risk too much going forward and will look the keep balanced at all times. This tie in the 2002/03 competition ended 0-0. I wouldn’t rule out a repeat of this.
sumitk87
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Studentroom was down yestarday, well i couldnt get onto it, but
WELL DONE INDIA, great batting, but the only thing pakistan can take away from this is that they managed to get nearly 300, i kno that was far off indias score but still to get 300 when the pressure is on from the first ball is gd .
(Original post by ravs)
look im happy to admit pak are a better odi side.
Clearly u are mistaken, pluss look at the score 2-0 to india (so far !!!!), India can beat pakistan in pakistan and in india :p: !
ravs
Report 13 years ago
alkaeda, u are once again talking rubbish

you say it was a pak b team, missing gul akhtar and shabbir who would have all made the first xi. so you are telling me your bowling attack would have been sami, akhtar, gul and shabbir, you would have played 4 fast bowlers and no spinner. dont be so stupid.neither gul NOR shabbir would have made any of the test matches because pak only play 3 bowlers cos of razzaq and afridi being able to bowl. if you wanted to play 4 bowlers you would have to drop either razzaq or afridi and pak would have NEVER EVER done that.
so you were missing only akhtar. and how good was he last time india played him in a test? RUBBISH, so u werent really missing anything at all. and ive said before, the team spirit u had in india wouldnt have been there if shoaib was there, hes a selfish player.

which batters were u missing? you had your full strength batting lineup out there!

please try to think about something before u actually post it
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
It wouldnt actually make any difference anyway! Just think how much coaching and how many training sessions it took for you to get your technique on the erg as good as it is now!
I'm not expecting perfect technique....heck I'm far from perfect myself, my back is hardly perfectly straight at frontstops. It's just there are a few simple things that can be corrected almost immediately. For example, the rocking over at the hips FIRST, getting hands over the knees and THEN breaking the knees. That would make a big difference to how people look on the erg. And then there is the back position....ok so you dont have to be perfect, especially when you're tired, but if they just tried to sit up and use their legs a little more things would be so much better!
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
And....?
Socrates
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
India did well, Pakistan's bowling at the end let them down, had India got 320, I'm pretty confident that Pak would have chased it down.

Lets see what happens in the 3rd ODI
chilipop
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
And....?
And isn't that shocking??
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
No.. :p:
chilipop
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
No.. :p:
Ok ,What
just what do you want from me???
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
you're shortish for blokes rowing at a v high standard. At 5 foot 10, I'm classified as a "short" senior rower....I would say that 6foot is bottom average....and i'd take a guess that the average uni rower's height is about 6foot2 ish....but i may be waaaay off
We have a guy in our first boat who is shorter than me :p: but then he's been rowing since he was about 5 at rah rah rah school

Sam - 3 mins for 500m is crap! I could pull 1:58 at the end of the Christmas holidays (so that's after one term's novicing and 4 weeks sat on my arse) - I don't know what I could get now, but I'm assuming it's less than that, and I'm far from good or fit. At Queens' ergs about 4 weeks into Mich term there were girls pulling 1:40ish - admittedly they were the ones who were ridiculously fit and good at all sports, but just shows what times girls can do!

Loads of my old friends from school have asked me about using rowing machines; most of them can't last more than 2 mins on them. The single most useful tip I can give anyone is "It's all about your legs," should work
chilipop
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I hate to be a person that piles on in a situation that does not favour an individual, but my belief is coming to fruition, Raúl Gonzalez Blanco is not the best player in Spain, and can be considered the most overrated player in football history…

‘Babystar’, ‘pichichi’, ‘idol’, wow what a difference a few years of not succeeding make. The Spanish press is calling for his head and the chants are getting to him. Maybe he’s slumping? Maybe he is on his way down? Hey, here’s a concept, what about him not being all that he was hyped up to be. The jury is still out on him outside of Spanish borders (although Raúl is not even liked in certain areas of Spain, Catalunya for starters.). How can a player be one of the top scorers in Champions League history, all-time leader in his respective national team, two-time Pichichi in La Liga, multiple Champions League winner – and yet be the most overrated player in the football world? Well that is exactly it. Raúl is the most overrated footballer in the world, although his present form has made detractors out of some of the most unconditional of fans. As good as Raúl has been for Spanish football, the jury is still out on him throughout the rest of Europe. Some people might have a great resume, but with absolutely nothing won at the National Team level, you have to start questioning him.

What do Peja Mijatovic, Clarence Seedorf, Fernando Hierro, Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo, Ronaldo, Guti, Michael Owen, Steve McManaman, Nicola Anelka, Roberto Carlos, Fernando Redondo, (hold on let me catch my breath), Christian Panucci, Claude Makelele, Fernando Morientes - would you like me to keep going? – have in common? Well, they are the players that did all the work for Raúl to achieve his faux fame. My point is that if superior talent surrounds a player, how can he NOT score?

If a player faces the marking that Raúl did (also consider the defense in La Liga in comparison to other leagues) he has to be somewhat successful. This is true especially now, where he is in a situation where he does not take up the marking that players like Ronaldo and Michael Owen do. Raúl, on his best day, would only be able to carry Ronaldo’s bag into the stadium.

But realize this; his presence is all the more telling of the team’s lack of leadership. He was at his most successful when he played with Fernando Hierro and Claude Makelele. Real Madrid’s true leaders, which is why they are trophy-less since these two players were let go by the Merengue brass. These two brought stability and grit, two intangibles that are desperately needed in order to be successful. These intangibles that Raúl does not have. When they left, he no longer was the poacher that he once was. Enter Ronaldo… further back he had to play and it started to affect his goal scoring totals.

At the national team level, he is all the more insignificant. There is no way that he should even be playing. Luis Aragones finally realized this and benched him in favor of an inspired Ivan de la Peña prior to the game against Serbia and Montenegro. When he did step on to the pitch, he showed energy, but was not able to complement a Fernando Torres playing the point. The whole point to what I am saying is that he excels when the spotlight is not on him and solely him. His spine acquires the firmness of a jellyfish in the big games.

Look, I like the guy, he is the most emblematic player in Spain. For morale he is a good thing, but emblematizing a person will not win you a game. How can the “best” player on your national team be the sixth or even seventh best player on his own club team (I am being kind to David Beckham, but that is another topic I will prod in the future)? As a matter of fact, forget what I just said. Raúl is the third or fourth best striker on his team… even on his best day.

Many of his qualities include his goal scoring knack and dribbling, but his deficiencies are starting to come to the forefront because of his slump for over the past year and change.

Hey I admire the fact that he is the all time leading scorer in Spanish National Team history, but hey, having a monstrous paternity against the Faroe Islands (the team he has scored most against at the national team level with 8). In qualifiers and friendlies (just ask Germany), he is deadly. But, ladies and gentlemen, in reality he is not a player I would want in a big game. What goal is the most memorable one of his in a big game? Probably, Juventus in 1998? What was Raúl’s most meaningful goal at the national team level? What about the ones he scored against Germany and Ireland? Well, those were friendlies. Other than that, there is nothing to show for his alleged greatness. He did score against France (actually Gaizka Mendieta scored, Raúl missed the chance to tie the game… can you say choke). In World Cup 2002, injury did not help him perform, but he would not have made a big difference in the grand scheme of things for La Furia in Korea. Even this year, the stakes were high in the Champions League he faded away just like the rest of his team, allowing a wounded Vecchia Signora to move on to the next round. After that, there is nothing that will back him up. All I can tell you is that Michael Owen has taken his spot. If this season’s performance does not prove it, based on the goals scored and minutes played, then Florentino Perez, Arrigo Sacchi and Vanderlei Luxemburgo are all as myopic as the most rabid of Madrid fans.
chilipop
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Deportivo are ready to offload Walter Pandiani for around €4.5million only months after saying that he would only be allowed to leave for nearly treble that amount.

The Galician club have been stunned by the Uruguayan’s constant attacks through the media, where he claimed that players turn up training drunk, if they turn up at all.

Last summer Depor said that they would only listen to offers of around €12million, but after his public criticism both president Augusto Lendoiro and coach Javier Irureta are keen to offload him quickly.

Birmingham City are in the driving seat to and the frontman as he is currently enjoying a loan spell at the Premiership side.

But the Blues believe that the €500,000 they paid to take him on loan should be taken into account when they make their offer to make the move permanent.

Depor are holding out for €4.5million and have already had interest from Newcastle United and Fiorentina.

Reports linking Barcelona with a move for his services have died down because Pandiani would not relish joining a club only to be used as a subsitute.
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hmm, not sure I can agree with the overal sentiment. On his day he is a fantastic strikers, if he plays to his potential he is up there with Shevchenko as the best striker in the world.But for too long now (2-3 years) he's been in the comfort zone and it's interesting to note that his form dipped when Morientes, who had formed the best strike partnership in Europe with Raul, was benched for the latest "galactico", Ronaldo. It's interesting, both Nando and Raul have suffered due to the Perez Galactico policy. Morientes, despite his fantastic link up play and work rate wasn't "galactic" enough for Real Madrid. Raul was the golden boy, undropable and as a result his form suffered.

His time is coming to an end and it's admirable that Michael Owen (continually written off by the English media and fans) has shown him up to not be the player he was say 5 years ago but most over rated player? No way.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
raul maybe past his prime, but the player who has scored the most goals in the champs league can hardly be overrated...
alkaeda
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
he hasnt scored consistently in la liga for past 2-3 years.. but i think beckham is the most overated in the world.. by far
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I don't think that any players are overrated. Beckham is not rated that highly recently though.
Haras Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by alkaeda)
he hasnt scored consistently in la liga for past 2-3 years.. but i think beckham is the most overated in the world.. by far
I TOTALLY agree..he is v.good and does ace crosses, and tries MOST of the time, but he is over-rated..being Eng Captain has made him more restrained and responsible though! Gerrard, Keane, Murphy, Zidane, Lampard, Rolandiho PLUS many others are players I would much rather have in my team!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1064)
78.99%
Leave (283)
21.01%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise