Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I swear these bureaucratic bodies don't review rules at the end of the season when they have the time.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way;

If Everton finished 3rd, and Man U finished 4th.. and Liverpool won the CL- Would the FA kick Man U out of the CL in favour of Liverpool?

Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afireinside©)
    Put it this way;

If Everton finished 3rd, and Man U finished 4th.. and Liverpool won the CL- Would the FA kick Man U out of the CL in favour of Liverpool?

Exactly.

I would :p:

If you win the CL you should automatically qualify for the competition again. Whats the point in having a competition where the holders arent in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oziris)

If you win the CL you should automatically qualify for the competition again. Whats the point in having a competition where the holders arent in it?
    i dont remember liverpool defending the UEFA Cup in 2002...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oziris)

So if Liverpool go into the UEFA cup next year and win it, but finish 4th in the league.. they defend the UEFA and dont go in the Champions League because it is policy to defend the trophy you have won?

ReputationRep:
    So if Liverpool go into the UEFA cup next year and win it, but finish 4th in the league.. they defend the UEFA and dont go in the Champions League because it is policy to defend the trophy you have won?
    They should be given the choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    As I said in the other thread, that list is so biased, it's ridiculous. Jamie Carragher should be there! He's been excellent all season. But then again, maybe I'm biased too.
    Carragher is on superb form, as proved last night against chelsea...they are going out, bring on AC Milan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    They should be given the choice.
    No! Rules are rules, apparently!
    If you win the trophy you defend it (according to some people) - you can't pick and choose which rules to have, nor can you change them half way through the season!

If you win the CL or UEFA cup IMO you shouldn't automatically be given a free position in the next seasons competition because of it..

Anyway.. seems the Premier League and UEFA are sideing with Everton should this situation arise

ReputationRep:
    Anyway.. seems the Premier League and UEFA are sideing with Everton should this situation arise
    But I'm not, it it's my decision that counts.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous! If a team wins the Champions League then they have to be there to defend it next year. Whether Liverpool are the best team in Europe or not (and we know they're not) winning the Champions League defines you as such and hence they have to be in the competition the next time. What's the point in the competition if the winners don't get the chance to defend it?

Boot Everton out I say, Liverpool have had to beat a host of quality sides to get to where they are, far more impressive than having to beat the West Broms, Crystal Palaces and Southamptons of the world to get into 4th place.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but liverpool havenet been able to beat the west broms and utd's of the world which everton have- as moyes put it 38 games is a greater test. At the end of the day on May 20something we'll all think about the time wasted thinking about this situation ever arising because Chelsea and Milan(and PSV who outplayed them) arent gonna just lie down, Liverpool have done well to come this far- I dont see them winning it though.

ReputationRep:
    even if liverpool don't win the champs league and don't get 4th, they should still qualify for the champions league..why? because we rock!

ReputationRep:
    still think andy johnson shud ahve got it bceause he scored SOOO many goals with a **** team around him....

lampard...is it really that hard to score with joe cole, duff, robben, drogba, gudjohnsen etc etc all amazing players to set you up?

ReputationRep:
    bellamy would kill shearer in a fight, he's absolutely insane you see...

shearer is tough, but does not have a violent mentality..

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool To Go Into The Final!!!! :d

ReputationRep:
    well i can see Liverpool winning the CL (I'm a Liverpool fan, so of course I can!), and i can see Everton coming 4th in the Prem. however, the last i heard off of the UEFA is backwards to what i first heard of UEFA.

If the country of the Champions is allowed the top 4 teams in the CL, and the Champions arent amongst this 4, UEFA suggest giving the top 3 and the Champions the places. I hope they'll make a concrete rule after this year, as opposed to leaving it to the discretion of the National FA of that country and leaving clubs with the fiasco that could potentially arise.

The Champions should be allowed to defend what they won, unless they have qualified for something 'bigger'. ie, UEFA Champs might get CL. But rules are rules. If the FA say one year that the top 4 get the place, as they did at the start of this year, then that year the top 4 should get the place. End of. Unless, UEFA are willing to add an extra place for the Champs, which as we already 4 teams representing us, wont happen. Will be a shame to not see Liverpool defending it should they win it, but its looking like Everton who will have done what was originally expected to be enough to have earned the place, and it would be unfair to take that from them, even if Liverpool have beaten the likes of Juventus, Chelsea and Milan.

As for FA being biased towards the Reds in 85 (afi) - I dont see the relevance of your point. All english teams were banned because of what the Liverpool fans did at Heysel, it wasn't just Everton who missed out. Likewise the Italians should be banned for the next couple of years because of what they have done his year. 85 really doesnt have any bearing on today's situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by veryjammy)
    This is ridiculous! If a team wins the Champions League then they have to be there to defend it next year. Whether Liverpool are the best team in Europe or not (and we know they're not) winning the Champions League defines you as such and hence they have to be in the competition the next time. What's the point in the competition if the winners don't get the chance to defend it?

What a load of rubbish you are talking. The Champions League isn't designed for teams to 'defend' it after they have won it. It is designed for the best teams out of their respective leagues to qualify for it through their league status. So we can now rule our your idea that the winners ought to be there to defend it.

Boot Everton out I say, Liverpool have had to beat a host of quality sides to get to where they are, far more impressive than having to beat the West Broms, Crystal Palaces and Southamptons of the world to get into 4th place.

Obviously most people struggle to believe that Everton are fourth on merit, not by being lucky. Again, obviously people struggle to believe that Liverpool aren't actually one of the top teams in the Premier League, despite the fact that their supporters still claim they are.. Another summer spending spree might fix that.. although, there again.. it's probably won't

(Original post by El Stevo)
    As for FA being biased towards the Reds in 85 (afi) - I dont see the relevance of your point. All english teams were banned because of what the Liverpool fans did at Heysel, it wasn't just Everton who missed out. Likewise the Italians should be banned for the next couple of years because of what they have done his year. 85 really doesnt have any bearing on today's situation.
    You're right; but where was the common sense back then to just ban Liverpool from Europe and allow the other teams to remain in it? The FA have always been baised to one team or another, back then we could argue they didn't want any other teams to benefit from Liverpool not being allowed in Europe and nowadays we could argue that they favour clubs such as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea when their managers are outspoken (often go unpunished etc) bla bla bla..

Edit>>
    Boot Everton out I say, Liverpool have had to beat a host of quality sides to get to where they are, far more impressive than having to beat the West Broms, Crystal Palaces and Southamptons of the world to get into 4th place

Oh yeah, furthermore could we argue that playing your 5th choice team in the FA cup is pissing all over the rules of the FA.. you deserve to be given the CL place because..?
    Another thing, if you can't perform week-in week-out in the Premier League that only goes to show one thing.. just simply aren't good enough to quality for the Champions League. Let's face it, getting beaten by teams such as Crystal Palace really isn't good enough for 'the best team in Europe' now, is it? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You're right; but where was the common sense back then to just ban Liverpool from Europe and allow the other teams to remain in it? The FA have always been baised to one team or another, back then we could argue they didn't want any other teams to benefit from Liverpool not being allowed in Europe and nowadays we could argue that they favour clubs such as Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea when their managers are outspoken (often go unpunished etc) bla bla bla..
    they were making an example, trying to make sure it would never happen again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hossy)
    Chelsea are too good even for AC Milan
    LOL LOL LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas)
    still think andy johnson shud ahve got it bceause he scored SOOO many goals with a **** team around him....

lampard...is it really that hard to score with joe cole, duff, robben, drogba, gudjohnsen etc etc all amazing players to set you up?
    Its lampards all round contribution..his temparament too

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.