Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Definitely Chelsea. All the have to do is avoid defeat. Liverpool can do it, but they'd have to play extremely well and Chelsea would have to play poorly. I can't see it happening.
    Last Wednesday, Liverpool overplayed Chelsea for 90minutes. Other than the sitter Lampard missed I cannot remeber any other good Chelsea chances. Drogba was in Carragher's back pocket and Biscan and Gerrard (with the help of Alonso) controlled to midfield. I can see the same thing transpiring again on Tuesday. Mourinho's trump card is Robben but, if newspaper reports are to be believed he might not be playing on Tuesday.

Liverpool need to play with Cisse up front and instruct him to stay deep and then try and run at Carvalho. Carvalho is a great defender but his pace is not the greatest (as Collins John's goal for Fulham displayed) and is also prone to the odd dirty foul. If Liverpool can wind him up and their is a strong ref then it could be a successful strategy. Of course, then there is Cech in goal. He is too good.

A Liverpool win is more likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevinqian)
    Dudies,

Also, who knows the general price of it in Britain? I'm thinking whether I should take mine with me or buy one here.

:confused:
    What quality/type of bike are you looking for? You can get a decent enough alloy-framed mountain bike for under £200 (when Halfords have their summer sale anyways )

ReputationRep:
    I sit in the dark at night, rock backwards and forwards and hope its Chelsea that will win. Seriously though I think it could go either way because after winning the league Chelsea may relax too much and not have the same hunger for the final that Liverpool obviously have. Yes I support Chelsea but Liverpool played excellently at Stamford Bridge and put us to shame that night.

ReputationRep:
    I've fancied trying fencing for a while, a club near me runs courses in Feb, May and September so I was thinking of going along this Sept. This may be stupid but the thing that I keep thinking of is being too old to start, not that I am old.. 17/18 it's just that people always seem to start when they're younger than that. Its just me being silly.

ReputationRep:
    Hey - start now while you are in your teens and you will go far. I have seen people starting when they are 24/25 and getting well up in the UK rankings. Also seen mid-aged people starting it for a new hobby and turning into quite good fencers. A lot of people start fencing when they go to uni here as that is often the first club they have seen. Go for it shazzam!!!

ReputationRep:
    i fence epee for my high school team. i've been doing it for two years.

ReputationRep:
    Last year at uni I lived with a girl who'd fenced for GB and knew the guy Peter on Born To Win!! She was fit

ReputationRep:
    I got coached by an ex olympic coach, I'm useless though, I quit cos I didn't have the time anymore, shame really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessymonster)
    Hey - start now while you are in your teens and you will go far. I have seen people starting when they are 24/25 and getting well up in the UK rankings. Also seen mid-aged people starting it for a new hobby and turning into quite good fencers. A lot of people start fencing when they go to uni here as that is often the first club they have seen. Go for it shazzam!!!
    thanks its definatley something I'd like to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    At uni I'm gonna start to fence My solicitor boss guy used to fence at a high standard, and he always tells me about it.

He says my personality is very well-balanced for a good combination of defensive and offensive styles Yeah he looks behind the action and into the mental side of it quite a lot... he compares it to a game of chess!
    if you do fence....play with your fake arm on...then when your opponent prods it and it falls off, they'll be so startled that you'll get an easy point

fencing is great, although sometimes i did wish i had worn a box, ouch!

ReputationRep:
    has Gerrard ever actually mentioned (on purpose/by accident) which clubs he's interested in or does he just say Liverpool?

ReputationRep:
    If Gerrard went to Man U or Chelsea, i'd never forgive him..in fact i think i'd only be ok if he went to madrid/milan someone like that...i hate it when players just want to offload themselves onto the bandwagon of the most successful domestic club, its an indication of the negative impact money's had on the game, as are the huge divides at the head of the table right now...I mean, imagine if for example, Ashley Cole, Ferdinand and Gerrard went to Chelsea--how tedious would the season be? Every game would be inevitable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shazzam)
    has Gerrard ever actually mentioned (on purpose/by accident) which clubs he's interested in or does he just say Liverpool?
    He just says definitely not Man U

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    He just says definitely not Man U
    well that's fair enough really

ReputationRep:
    are there alot of mind games (for want of a better word) in fencing?

ReputationRep:
    When you attack you know that your opponent will defend, you gotta second guess what they will do and do something about it, but they know that you are trying to second guess what they will do and will avoid it.... you get the drift there.
    You can also feint - ie attack with no real intention of going for the hit, just to get your opponent to defend... etc.

It has often been compaired with a game of chess played at high speed (I personally don't see it like that, but you hear it so often other people must).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessymonster)
    When you attack you know that your opponent will defend, you gotta second guess what they will do and do something about it, but they know that you are trying to second guess what they will do and will avoid it.... you get the drift there.
    You can also feint - ie attack with no real intention of going for the hit, just to get your opponent to defend... etc.

It has often been compaired with a game of chess played at high speed (I personally don't see it like that, but you hear it so often other people must).
    its sound really interesting, I'm looking forward to getting started allbeit probably not until September time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pirate Roberts)
    What quality/type of bike are you looking for? You can get a decent enough alloy-framed mountain bike for under £200 (when Halfords have their summer sale anyways )
    I prefer mountain bike. It can be used in all conditions. I have one which is 100 Pounds and stays with me for thousands of kilometres. I don't wanna abandon it.

Halfords? Would you please tell me more about it?Is there any shop in around York?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Still forget one thing. Is the Mud Guards necessary for the condition of Britain? I sound it's full of rain, so am wondering whether I should buy a set if I take my bike there.

ReputationRep:
    Im praying that Chelsea win, I can't stop worrying about it!! However I have this awful feeling that liverpool are going to do it! As much as I will be devastated if Chelsea lose, I will be happy to see an English club in the final, especially Liverpool who are without a doubt my second favs!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.