Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    at first i fancied sri lanka as an outisde bet but i simply cant see them doing it. theyve played all their cricket at home this year on some shockingly slow pitches, they wont have time to adjust to the bounce, england should beat them comfortably

sri lanka are a very very poor odi and test side away from home, they barely put up a fight. pakistan and india have enjoyed more odi and test successes recently away from home
    i don't think that's a fair assessment to make, since (as you have also mentioned) they haven't played an away ODI series for a while (excluding zimbabwe).....they're last one was in the west indies in the summer of 2003 (which they won incidentally)....although they have not played on 'english' type pitches recently, they are a much better side now

ReputationRep:
    well lets look at when they played in the vb series and the natwest series. they won one game in the natwest series and i think 1-2 games in the vb series, and the side is pretty much the same, it hasnt changed much. lanka have only won 10 in a row or so cos 5 of those were against the village xi zimbabwean side.

ReputationRep:
    ICC Awards 2004

ReputationRep:
    are these being televised? cos ive searched sky and cant find a thing, also theres been no advertisements on sky sports about them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    are these being televised? cos ive searched sky and cant find a thing, also theres been no advertisements on sky sports about them
    i dont think they wil be televised live..may be a recorded version in a week..

ReputationRep:
    who would be ur pics for the awards, heres mine:

Cricketer of the Year -flintoff, best all round cricketer in the world atm
    Test Player of the Year -dravid DEFINITELY, after those stats that i mentioned, highest average of any batter since 2000, averaging over 80 since june 2002
    ODI Player of the Year -ponting might just get it, although sachin could be in with a shout
    Emerging Player of the Year - pathan definitely! highest odi wicket taker in this calendar year, and also has done well against some great batting attacks like pak and aus, its between him and michael clarke.
    Umpire of the Year -simon taufel
    Test Team of the Year - aus, duh!
    ODI Team of the Year - aus- duh !
    Spirit of Cricket Award -gilchrist, walking in the semi final of the wc

ReputationRep:
    emerging cricketer of the year - irfan pathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    well lets look at when they played in the vb series and the natwest series. they won one game in the natwest series and i think 1-2 games in the vb series, and the side is pretty much the same, it hasnt changed much. lanka have only won 10 in a row or so cos 5 of those were against the village xi zimbabwean side.
    well they have brought in a couple of promising medium-fast paced bowlers who troubled the south africans on sri lankan pitches, and so could prove challenging over here.....and although the team is roughly the same, they are performing a lot better

ReputationRep:
    their batsmen cannot play the seaming ball, look at atapattu, for a guy with 6 double tons his average is horribly low, and has had limited success againt the better sides like aus and south africa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    their batsmen cannot play the seaming ball, look at atapattu, for a guy with 6 double tons his average is horribly low, and has had limited success againt the better sides like aus and south africa
    okay, well, we'll see how they do....obviously england will be the real test

ReputationRep:
    i think sangakarra is their best batsman personally. is very good against quality pace and he is the best player of spin in their side i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    i think sangakarra is their best batsman personally. is very good against quality pace and he is the best player of spin in their side i think
    yeah, i think so too

ReputationRep:
    sadly hes got one of the biggest mouths in the game and rarely knows when to shut up, hes had alot of run ins with alot of players

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    sadly hes got one of the biggest mouths in the game and rarely knows when to shut up, hes had alot of run ins with alot of players
    yeah, although i love his style of batting, he really needs to sort out his attitude, otherwise he'll get more of those fines

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i was chatting to moh'd kaif at Trent Bridge a few days before the opening game of the NW challenge and he called him a f*cking idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kokopops)
    just easier than having a few little threads...everything cricket in here...!!
    Woohoo! Great idea kooky!

Great knock by Irani today, 158*. But I don't get why bowlers can't carry on bowling those balls that are hard to score from in one-dayers.

Come on England!

ReputationRep:
    do u mean yorkers?
    they are extremely hard to perfect, bowling 3 yorkers in a row isnt easy, and more often than not they turn into full tosses or half volleys, such is the fine line.

i watched tht game and irani was awesome, 57 runs in the last 3 overs, superb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    do u mean yorkers?
    they are extremely hard to perfect, bowling 3 yorkers in a row isnt easy, and more often than not they turn into full tosses or half volleys, such is the fine line.

i watched tht game and irani was awesome, 57 runs in the last 3 overs, superb
    Not just yorkers. It just seems to me that batsmen smacking balls all over the place is partly down to bowlers becoming slack. It's certainly not so common in tests to have a zillion boundaries at a time, I just think bowlers could do better.

ReputationRep:
    the standard of bowling hasnt gone down its just due to technology. take spinners, batters now have technology in order to analyse every one of the bowlers deliveries, batsmen have many more shos than a bowler does have types of deliveries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    the standard of bowling hasnt gone down its just due to technology. take spinners, batters now have technology in order to analyse every one of the bowlers deliveries, batsmen have many more shos than a bowler does have types of deliveries.
    Fair point. I'll remember that when I'm trying everything and being hit for four all the time

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.