Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
you're talking gibberish woman! :albertein

*sadly waves at Helenia..lost to the world of boatie...*

important issues - any nice rowing men spotted out on your river?
No, I'm talking boatie. It's tragic. I went to BCD (Boat Club Dinner) and everyone gets their own copy of the menu, with lists of all the crews, and we pass them around and sign each others. The number of comments I got from my 2nd year friends saying "We've got you now...you'll never escape" etc is terrifying! (They were 2nd to the numerous pulling references though :rolleyes: )

I have my eyes in the boat at all times, I do! Actually I haven't spotted too many nice ones out there, although training at the same time as the Lightweights on occasion is quite fun :adore: (one of the other girls in my boat got the comment "Why is it that Bow (her) always takes longer to take a stroke when the lightweight blues are going past?") Our most fun crew social was actually with the Blues lacrosse team...
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Our most fun crew social was actually with the Blues lacrosse team...
oooh..oooh.. we can talk about lacrosse! i know about that.. :elefant:

ah yes, BCDs, somewhat weirdly i've probably been to more (as a +1!) than some of our rowers. i was sent an invite to the exclusive boatie christmas dinner (better than the JCR-Hall one..rowers know how to eat!).. this is all slightly disturbingly couple-d up perhaps..

i may row in the summer maybe.. next term is a right off in terms of EC commitments. a glamorous 'bikini boat' (that will probably fail to row on, but damn we'll look stylish!) may suit me.. in what hopefully will be my term of leisure!

must. pass. exams. first. time. next. term.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
oooh..oooh.. we can talk about lacrosse! i know about that.. :elefant:
Hehe, I don't! I know about the players though :angel: Kept Clareifornication busy for a while, that one did...

ah yes, BCDs, somewhat weirdly i've probably been to more (as a +1!) than some of our rowers. i was sent an invite to the exclusive boatie christmas dinner (better than the JCR-Hall one..rowers know how to eat!).. this is all slightly disturbingly couple-d up perhaps..
We don't have plus 1s at our BCDs, it's 100% pure boaties :eek: but it was great fun, even if I did nearly explode from needing the toilet by the end of the speeches (couldn't sneak out - was at the end of the table farthest from the door, with all the speechifying people in my way :toilet:

i may row in the summer maybe.. next term is a right off in terms of EC commitments. a glamorous 'bikini boat' (that will probably fail to row on, but damn we'll look stylish!) may suit me.. in what hopefully will be my term of leisure!
You mean you have to finish all your 2nd MB work next term and pass your exams in it? Eeeeeek! What do you do in the summer term? Slightly jealous but also not 100% so

I think I'm on for W2 next term, can't hack the commitment for W1 even if I was good enough, and besides I'd probably sink the boat :frown: (they're having some serious crew weight issues, and I wouldn't help matters!)
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Hehe, I don't! I know about the players though :angel: Kept Clareifornication busy for a while, that one did...
ooh..gossip. were this mixed or men's lax players? i'm our college mixed lacrosse co-captain! oh, the position of power... :tee:

We don't have plus 1s at our BCDs, it's 100% pure boaties :eek: but it was great fun, even if I did nearly explode from needing the toilet by the end of the speeches (couldn't sneak out - was at the end of the table farthest from the door, with all the speechifying people in my way :toilet:
well, no, we don't either. but bizaarely i get invited. i don't know, the options: he's scary/VIB (very important boatie..hah) so they invite me to placate; unlike most of the WBC i have a rower's sense of humour - hence i'll stop the women from protesting too much or be a bad influence on them; i'm humorous when i get tipsy?; they assume we're sort of 2 for the price of 1; the key cox & committee people are also medics; they all just assume i row? no idea..

we didn't have speeches at XMas dinner.. lots of sconcing though.. hmm..maybe that's why i get invited, so they find out the truth about him via sconcing me/us both!

You mean you have to finish all your 2nd MB work next term and pass your exams in it? Eeeeeek! What do you do in the summer term? Slightly jealous but also not 100% so
well.. yes. our First BM Part II is Term's 4&5.

so, the summer term we start our BA in BIomedical sciences - decide our option, pick a research project etc. - apparently actually involves a few afternoon 'introduction' lectures & oodles of partying..whoooo!

I think I'm on for W2 next term, can't hack the commitment for W1 even if I was good enough, and besides I'd probably sink the boat :frown: (they're having some serious crew weight issues, and I wouldn't help matters!)
is weight an issue in college rowing..? they're aren't limitations i didn't think? plus more weight = more power! the boyf gleefully remarks on his putting on weight (i.e. muscle...mmm...muscles..)
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
ooh..gossip. were this mixed or men's lax players? i'm our college mixed lacrosse co-captain! oh, the position of power... :tee:
This was some of the men's Blues squad Lots of fun, and ice cubes :eek:

we didn't have speeches at XMas dinner.. lots of sconcing though.. hmm..maybe that's why i get invited, so they find out the truth about him via sconcing me/us both!
I didn't get sconced :angel: I guess that the right people just don't know the right stuff... but the speeches did go on for hours.

is weight an issue in college rowing..? they're aren't limitations i didn't think? plus more weight = more power! the boyf gleefully remarks on his putting on weight (i.e. muscle...mmm...muscles..)
Nah, there shouldn't be, but they have a super-light speedy boat for the women's first VIII. Unfortunately the current crew are about 10kg over its recommended maximum weight limit, and adding me to that to replace (presumably) one of the lighter ones, wouldn't help that. There are some interesting pictures from Fairbairns regatta (race at the end of Mich term) where its stern is nearly underwater!
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Oh, that's what people were saying 6 weeks ago. Anyway, I'm sure one day Eli Manning will make it on the field enough to have enough stats to judge him on.
hes gunna whoop ben's a** saturday :p:
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No, I'm talking boatie. It's tragic. I went to BCD (Boat Club Dinner) and everyone gets their own copy of the menu, with lists of all the crews, and we pass them around and sign each others. The number of comments I got from my 2nd year friends saying "We've got you now...you'll never escape" etc is terrifying! (They were 2nd to the numerous pulling references though :rolleyes: )

I have my eyes in the boat at all times, I do! Actually I haven't spotted too many nice ones out there, although training at the same time as the Lightweights on occasion is quite fun :adore: (one of the other girls in my boat got the comment "Why is it that Bow (her) always takes longer to take a stroke when the lightweight blues are going past?") Our most fun crew social was actually with the Blues lacrosse team...
Oh dear. How tragic.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You girls need to stop complaining, by definition most boat girls(especially the heavyweights) arent the most amazing things to look at
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
Oh dear. How tragic.
We did go out with the U21 rugby boys, but they weren't as much fun :p: There was one guy in a Stonyhurst shirt, but I assume that wasn't you.

Narb, I know I'm not amazing to look at anyway, but we do need to meet the weight limit or we will sink, or at least not move as well!
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Krim)
Why the have you put Newcastle Brown? If its got anything to do with the ale and your trying to be clever your a bit of a ****.
No I was tryiong to be humorous in what can otherwise be a very volatile subject and no I havent got a ****!! :aetsch:
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Sorry to all those that didnt support other teams I really shuld have added an other in the poll. I do apologise and as for the one who mentioned Leeds and up and coming in the same sentence I laugh at thee very loudly. :p:
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by afireinside©)
So, is that the same Man United that is fourth in the league??
Ah, touché

But my dad's from Manchester so there :p:
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeh I know the feeling, the mens novice IV use a wooden boat which was designed for girls, hardly the best idea as 2 of us weigh over 90kg and the other 2 weigh over 85...lets just say it sits "low" in the water
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
well i did my first proper 2k this week.....and despite my pathetic strength and terrible aerobic ability (i could barely finish a 2k 2 weeks ago) I managed to come within inches of death for a time of 7:23.....now you might think that sounds s, but for me I am very pleased, because i didnt think i would be able to go sub 7:30. But obviously my aim is to try and go down to 7mins by next january....so can i just ask what the best thing to do to get that down?

So far I plan to:

Next week go to gym at least twice and do some long ergs (at least 30 mins)

After that I'm skiing which will help loads. But I just want to ask whether long ergs is what I need, keeping in mind I reckon my weakness is my aerobic ability (i pull 500m faster than people stronger than me atm)
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lots of people cant finish a 2k first time round, simply because they go at it the wrong way and blow out/give up. 7:23 isnt a bad first time, and it does sound like aerobic ability is your weakness, so get those long rows in..
matrixman397
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
COME ON ARSENAL!!!
......?
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by cindy)
Sorry to all those that didnt support other teams I really shuld have added an other in the poll. I do apologise and as for the one who mentioned Leeds and up and coming in the same sentence I laugh at thee very loudly. :p:
Thanks, we'll be back don't you worry, were like the terminator, but not as tough, and more northern, wow, I'd love to see the terminator with a leeds accent.

Yeah and its happened before, so heres hoping.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
hes gunna whoop ben's a** saturday :p:
So much for that idea
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You've left out by far the greatest team the world has ever seen!
chats
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
You've left out by far the greatest team the world has ever seen!
Your not even the greatest team in Birmingham!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (53)
98.15%
No (1)
1.85%

Watched Threads