Liverpool
English Players used: Carragher, Gerrard
English Players: Carragher, Gerrard, Carson, Warnock, Welsh
Academy Players: Carragher, Gerrard, Warnock, Welsh

Chelsea
English Players used: Terry, Cole, Lampard
English Players: Terry, Cole, Lampard, Johnson
Academy Players: Terry

You may have had more english players on field (as Finnan, being Irish, doesn't count) but Liverpool included more english players in the squad.
You will also note that in Liverpool's case, 4 out of 5 of such players came up through the academy - compared to Chelsea's 1 in 4.

Altogether, not only had the Liverpool squad a 'better' english-balance, it also shows how the academy is superior to that of Chelsea. Or, Terry vs. Carragher, Gerrard & co (and Owen, if you think about it).
Liverpool's acedemy lives on reputation it has produced great players but consider this what of any substance has it won due in recent time with a major contribution from acdemy players? How can you call it liverpool a superior acdemy? have you had expereience of both? From an outsider it would look harder to get into a chelsea squad than a liverpool squad as chelsea have internationalls that are part time players liverpool well have acedemy players. GO FIGURE!

In Its treble winning year was based on the strength of its defense and Gary McAllister (Long may he live in your memory). The only team in the last 15years that has had success is Manchester United Scholes, Beckham, Butt, Nevilles, Giggs. And now they are even buying to succedd

I'm not a supporter of any of these team I am a Sheffield Wednesday fan! (we were double runner up!) but banana man saying you cant buy success well Liverpool have not yet but if they win the final of the champions league they will have. Today every successful club buys it success! and liverpool is not such exception!
shazzam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I didn't even realise that he was still alive, havn't seen him in an age
DRWallace
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Nooooooo! Afireinside, you are one of the few people in here fighting for the Everton cause. What shall we do now?
MrColin
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
:rolleyes: Even if it wasn't a goal, YOU DIDN'T SCORE. So even if the goal wasn't given, it's not like you would have gone through anyway. I'm amazed at how many Chelsea supporters seem to think they definately would have won if the goal wasn't given
Did i say i was a CHELSEA SUPPORTER or are you making an assumption? Did is say CHELSEA WOULD HAVE WON? I'm sure you have consulted the MLLIONS OF CHELSEA FANS on what they think would have occured?

Plus how do you not know Chelsea would have not gone through? had a consulatation with Uri Gellar?
shazzam
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
On my death bed I will scream "IT WAS NOT A GOAL" then I will die.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
one thing about the academies are that london have loads more clubs than merseyside so liverpool, everton etc have a greater chance of better players coming through on natural talent
Hutz
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I was all set to go, but Chelsea got knocked out
Tednol
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by jamieholmear)
i hope you crash and burn in the final. enjoy the uefa cup next season. you still have the blood of 39 people on your hands
You sick idiot.
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by DRWallace)
Nooooooo! Afireinside, you are one of the few people in here fighting for the Everton cause. What shall we do now?
Smile?
Tednol
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by shazzam)
Its not just Liverpool, I couldn't bring myself to support Manchester United in the final either
Why? Insecurity?
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think the whole of the ball crossed the whole of the line. Definitely not convinced enough to give a goal, and I can't understand how the linesman was either.

That said, it was a penalty anyway and Cech may well have been walking had the goal not been given.
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by MrColin)
Liverpool's acedemy lives on reputation it has produced great players but consider this what of any substance has it won due in recent time with a major contribution from acdemy players?
Yuhuh. Owen, Gerrard and Carragher having not given a major contribution to the club, I wouldn't know? We're yet to win the Championship or CL with the current crop, but they've done everything else on offer.

How can you call it liverpool a superior acdemy? have you had expereience of both? From an outsider it would look harder to get into a chelsea squad than a liverpool squad as chelsea have internationalls that are part time players liverpool well have acedemy players. GO FIGURE!
You can only really measure the overall strength of an academy by the end products. Chelsea have come up with Terry, and he's a fantastic player, but the rest (ironically) come from West Ham's youth acadamy. Of course it's harder for an england player to get into the Chelsea first team. For a start, there's little squad rotation, and Chelsea aren't looking for upcoming England players - just the famous international finished articles. The perfect examples being Glen Johnson and Scott Parker. Johnson can do a very good job, as can Parker - both would walk into many Premiership teams. But the most they'll ever be is squad players. I think it'll be fun to see how Chelsea come out of this new Fifa academy/england players ruling. If they succeed in knocking out a couple of noteworth players, al credit to them. They won't be used.

In Its treble winning year was based on the strength of its defense and Gary McAllister (Long may he live in your memory). The only team in the last 15years that has had success is Manchester United Scholes, Beckham, Butt, Nevilles, Giggs. And now they are even buying to succedd
It pains me to say it, but yes - Manchester United have done very well out of their academy. With these players they managed to dominate the premeirship and won a lot of silverware. I think it's a little unfair to say everything depended on Gary McAllister and the defense - no matter how good they were.

[QUOTE=MrColinI'm not a supporter of any of these team I am a Sheffield Wednesday fan! (we were double runner up!) but banana man saying you cant buy success well Liverpool have not yet but if they win the final of the champions league they will have. Today every successful club buys it success! and liverpool is not such exception![/QUOTE]

Once again. Pretty every Liverpool fan here has agreed that we've spent a lot of money on our team recently, even though it hasn't got us very far. You've taken too much issue with the words 'buy success'. We mean a corporate takeover pumping £550m into a team. To take your train of thought, we could apply that to Sunderland, buying themselves back into the premiership. Or whatever club who has paid a transfer fee on a player. What people don't respect about Chelsea, is the way that Roman comes in with his hundreds of millions of pounds, just to play the real Championship Manager. There's a difference between a team with a board releasing profits for transfers; with a team with a new owner with enough money to buy the rest of the teams in the premiership.

Hopefully Wednesday will get back to where they belong in a couple of seasons! Must be pretty annoying seeing United playing in the division above!
Demolias
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
To be honest, it was either going to be a goal, or:
- Penalty
- Cech sent off
- Chelsea down to 10 players
- Cudicini, an excellent keeper, but hasn't played a match in ages.

I think it did look as if it was over the line. Even if it wasn't given, Chelsea may well have had far more serious problems.
i agree, the tackle he caused was quite bad, but the linesman said wat he thot and thats wat matters, like the rangers vs hearts "Penalty"!!! it was a complete DIVE!!!!!!!! but ne way, there throu, and deserve, but now its MILAN, b'cause of there FLUKE win over PSV
Demolias
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by fernando)
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/...=Football_Home

tech experts from sky sports created the pic - it shows that the ball didnt go completely over the line therefore under the rules it wasnt a goal
But it dont matter if it wasnt a goal. watss done is done!!!
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Dude)
Oh I get it. If we win the championship, then (in annoying voice) they can't play next year :bootyshak: :hahaha:
Or not:hahaha:clicky
Hazza_CPFC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It wasn't even close to a goal; barely any of the ball was over the line, as proved by Andy Gray's computer mock-up of it.

However, it stood and that's all that matters on the night. I just can't understand why we don't have goal line sensors to check if it went in or not, it's pathetic :rolleyes:
Rainy
Report 13 years ago
You'll never get amazing scenes of support like this at the Bridge:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/image...204eurosemi.wmv

Wha can I say about the decision? It's looking likely that it's not going our way. Either way, I suppose Everton do deserve credit for what they've achieved this season. If they do get 4th, good luck to them in the CL. They'll need it. So, best wishes for next season, and needless to say, we all eagerly await the bursting of the bubble.
Hazza_CPFC
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
While I wish Liverpool every success against bloody Milan, I have to say that they're a very mediocre side and they devalue the competition by getting this far. The Champions League should be just that and to have a team closer to the bottom of the table than the top of it contesting the highest honour in Europe is sad.

Yes, it's a cup competition and anything can happen on the night, but Liverpool scraped past Olympiakos, were lucky to face an extremely lacklustre Juve and now have dubiously beaten a weakened Chelsea side. Porto didn't deserve it last year and Liverpool won't either if they win it.

As for buying success, the game revolves around money now whether we like it or not and every single club in the world "buys" success. Houllier spent how much in his time at Liverpool?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Why? Insecurity?
Maybe he just doesnt like them..i don't feel loyalty to any other British club in Europe, i wouldnt mind Arsenal winning something, but i wouldnt really care
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (529)
80.4%
Leave (129)
19.6%

Watched Threads