Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairey87)
    My younger bro races in the elite british karting championships so that's my fave followed by F1
    Woh quality!

ReputationRep:
    My younger bro races in the elite british karting championships so that's my fave followed by F1....yeah right Kimi Raikkonnen is going to beat Fernando!!!! Anyone feeling sorry for Takuma Sato? Two-race ban for something he didn't do!
    wheehoo! i raced in the british gearbox championship in 02 :eek: going to world championship at laguna in july :cool: karting is very cool, but i'll happiliy watch any motorsport, especially formula 1.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's great! Hopefully he's going to get into F1.....although at 15 he's already 6 foot tall! Although wasn't Justin Wilson like 6"3? P.S....Gearbox? CRAZY! From what I've seen of those things (well 250s anyways) they're lethal! lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's great! Hopefully he's going to get into F1.....although at 15 he's already 6 foot tall!
    fantastic! his height wont be too much of an issue - if he's good enough teams wont discriminate his height...

P.S....Gearbox? CRAZY! From what I've seen of those things (well 250s anyways) they're lethal! lol
    hehe. they can be lethal - but they're so much more fun to drive :rolleyes: class 1's are great for short circuit, but if like me your never gonna be a pro, gearbox is defnitely the way to go. 250 twins all the way!

ReputationRep:
    I used to go round the track in a pro-kart (lawn mower) during "pre-ARKS novice" session. I had a mate who drove 250 gearbox and he could never get it to go anywhere....it was always "the carb has gone bust" or "the piston rings are stuck" etc

ReputationRep:
    I used to go round the track in a pro-kart (lawn mower) during "pre-ARKS novice" session. I had a mate who drove 250 gearbox and he could never get it to go anywhere....it was always "the carb has gone bust" or "the piston rings are stuck" etc
    hehe. i never drove a lawn mower :rolleyes:, even pre-ARKS. aye, 250's can be fickle beasts sometimes. wasn't a slowtax was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    No. But if anyone can, it's us. We'll give them a tough game, and to do that is a huge achievment.
    if any can its england???
    no chance..
    if u take a look at records for the past few years, there is only 1 side that has come remotely close 2 beating the aussies and infact they did beat them in a test series few yrs back...its the indians

ReputationRep:
    A slow-tax? nooo a pro-kart. Rotaxs are for pot-hunters who cannot keep up with the pace of TKM!

ReputationRep:
    A slow-tax? nooo a pro-kart. Rotaxs are for pot-hunters who cannot keep up with the pace of TKM!
    i didnt mean a slowtax max : i meant was your mates 250 a rotax (as opposed to a honda). lol - i raced TKM (only at club level) in 99,00, and fatboy tkms in 01. with inters we often got lumbered with the junior slowtax maxes (and beat them, but thats more due to the drivers in slowtax being bad than us being anything special) so your brother in JTKM then?

ReputationRep:
    He's in JTKM Inters purley down to his height. He's skinny as a rake. But most of his Super 1 chums have had to move into Inters with him cos they are all so tall. At clubbies we had the same problem of having weirdy classes (ever heard of Junior Blue or Green) put on the back/front of the grid but in Supers they wouldn't dare! lol. Ummm I think his was a slowtax actually yeah. I was his blimmin starter and nearly died from shortage of breath every race!

ReputationRep:
    Any motorsports people out there? x x x
    no - nobody here likes motorsport :rolleyes: - we hide away so we cant get slated by everyone for it :mad: :p:

ReputationRep:
    He's in JTKM Inters purley down to his height. He's skinny as a rake. But most of his Super 1 chums have had to move into Inters with him cos they are all so tall. At clubbies we had the same problem of having weirdy classes (ever heard of Junior Blue or Green) put on the back/front of the grid but in Supers they wouldn't dare! lol. Ummm I think his was a slowtax actually yeah. I was his blimmin starter and nearly died from shortage of breath every race!
    The 125 minimum for Juniors is a bit low - tall or well-built drivers have no choice but to go Inter. i played a lot of rugby so was always heavy - not fat but heavy, so even when i started racing (at 13) i never needed any lead. then when i grew i had to go into inters because i was giving 10 kilos away. indeed, at the end of my year in inters i was back to 10 kilos over simply because i was getting big. i never did the Super Series - not enough money and not really good enough, but some of the clubs did have some wierd mixes of classes. i remember at Rowrah one time it was juniors, inters, yamaha's and jicas to make a grid of 20 or so. ahh, the good old days...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Stevo)
    fantastic! his height wont be too much of an issue - if he's good enough teams wont discriminate his height...

hehe. they can be lethal - but they're so much more fun to drive :rolleyes: class 1's are great for short circuit, but if like me your never gonna be a pro, gearbox is defnitely the way to go. 250 twins all the way!
    erm... Wurz?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    erm... Wurz?? :confused:
    doesnt set everybodys torch on fire i'm afraid... but i suppose...

ReputationRep:
    doesnt set everybodys torch on fire i'm afraid...
    I meant he is (unintentionally maybe) descriminated against. Because he is heavier mainly. Mclaren took 3 months to fit him in the car after all!! They could have made 1 that fitted him :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I like to let them rip too.
    Errr whoops.

ReputationRep:
    Luckily we have a sponser and my dad is self employed which helps a lot although we still struggle. Have never been to Rowrah myself but I did enjoy the clubby days.....I can't go anymore what with A-levels and I have my boyfriend now anyways. Which clubs did you visit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F1 fanatic)
    I meant he is (unintentionally maybe) descriminated against. Because he is heavier mainly. Mclaren took 3 months to fit him in the car after all!! They could have made 1 that fitted him :rolleyes:
    i'd not actually over thought about tall drivers or the lack of them, but upon a bit of googlage it seems wilson and wurz are seriously hurt by their height... then again, if they can be test drivers, what stops them racing?

ReputationRep:
    i'd not actually over thought about tall drivers or the lack of them, but upon a bit of googlage it seems wilson and wurz are seriously hurt by their height... then again, if they can be test drivers, what stops them racing?
    Yeah - I think the thing is its a) more painful for them (& more difficult to get out the car in the 10 secs or whatever it is) and b) its the weight that plays the main role. Driver weight is not where you ideally want it so you want as little as possible.

I mean Im not being negative. A driver is chosen primarily for their driving ability rather than their physique. But given the choice between an equall fast tall & short driver they will go for the small driver every time. But if hes good enough then there is every chance of getting there

ReputationRep:
    Wilson did race a couple of seasons ago and I thought they were going to do the usual thing by putting the rookie in for a season, taking him out for a season and then putting him back in. A shame really cos Justin was talented. Maybe he cannot afford it anymore,,,,if you drive for Minardi you have to pay them!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.