Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
edmundo
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Quoted from Guillem Balague (Spanish football expert and Sky sports pundit for those who dont know who he is):

"When you hear about the importance of Raul, that tends to be followed by a bunch of impressive statistics. But he is something else: the cleverest football brain in Spain.

In the last month(October) he has assisted Owen, playing behind him, sometimes on the right but mainly on the left, in two-and-a-half matches (the second-half against Betis, Dinamo Kiev and Valencia). He was the main reason why the most offensive team in history (with Zidane, Raul, Ronaldo, Owen, Guti, Roberto Carlos and Figo, I bet you cannot find another one to match it) managed to get two one-nils in a row. He has balanced the squad by working hard like a midfielder would do and also had the time to look upfront and see Owen run into space (against Valencia). He is a great, nobody should doubt him ever"

And I totally agree. Ive see him play pretty my every week and can tell u he brings so much to the game and whenever hes not playing real madrid arent the same. The reason they havent been successful lately is more to do with matters off the pitch then on the pitch.

And the reason many of you think he is overrated is that the higher you rise the bigger the fall which happens with most quality footballers.
edmundo
Report 13 years ago
Just wanted to add more of Guillem's wise words about world player of year award:

"Those awards tend to be given to someone who appears at the right time - a World Cup or a European final. They are not very football-like because they do not appreciate the work put up in a whole year (that is why Raul has never won it). In fact, what an unfootballing thing it is giving an individual prize: the game is collective and the season is only halfway through. If I had to choose I would pick Ronaldinho and Wayne Rooney. Although their level has been irregular to say the least, especially in the case of Rooney, these are the two footballers that have reinstated my faith in the game - they add magic, surprise, cheekiness. They are playing in the street even when they are in the biggest football situations."
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Il accept Raul is a world class player when i see him perform like he does for Real for a club which isnt flooded with the worlds best or powers Spain to international glory. Most people could look fairly decent playing alongisde figo,ronaldo,beckham,zidane etc.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You think *you've* got it bad? Pfft. Imagine supporting Cambridge or Wrexham.
Lil' Miss Smiley
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Heres the solution! LOL
Mortoman
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mobb_theprequel)
Oh how depressing it's become, all of a sudden, to support Manchester United. No longer can I (justifiably) be derided as a "glory lander/hunter/seeker" and such, because nowadays glory tends to reside in trophy cabinets on Merseyside, in the capital and further afield - anywhere, seemingly, other than at Old Trafford. The future looks bleak. Whilst our longtime subordinates are in rude financial health - as a result of the windfalls of European, domestic and oleaginous successes; we can look look forward to nothing but debt regimes, spending caps and further demotion in status. Nike don't want us. Our once prolific Dutchman is misfiring, and our teenagers tantrum like never before. It has been remarked that "twentieth century architects should be building adventures". And yet the Govan architect of the most succesful footballing movement in (my) living memory, can no longer provide the creative impetus to match the feats of yesteryear - Arsenal play the most adventurous football. The domestic balance of power has been turned on its head: and we're now the fourth best team, on merit (or should that be in the absence of it?). Even in jest, we couldn't possibly entertain the idea of buying Adriano - and yet a London club looks poised to attract his signature. Essien will surely opt for the band of Young Turks on the King's Road, over the former Kings of the Premiership, too. Liverpool are in the ascendany once more. And whilst Sir Alex labours in the trappings of woe; a rival, more photogenic, manager fronts the Amex advertising campaign - having recently sold his winning jacket for £22,000...

Where from here?

I think you take too much notice of what is said in the papers. Sure all of these things have been said and undoubtedly things aren't as good as they have been especially now Glazer turned up, but I think we are still justifiably one of the best teams in Europe. Remember form is temporary but United have a lot of permanently class players. We cannot really complain too much about finances as £20million a season is something that most clubs would kill for and I seem to remember that the board wasn't going to give us anything this summer after we bought Rooney for so much. Beisdes, look at Arsenal's debts. They took on £360 million of debt just to finance their stadium. Don't get me wrong, I cannot stand Glazer and what he threatens to do to the club but things could be a hell of a lot worse right now.
Mortoman
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Avi)
too bad coria got knocked out..he's just not up to the same lethal level he was last year.
What on earth is Coria doing losing to Davydenko of all people on clay??? That really should have been a given. I suppose it at least makes things a little more interesting. Just think, this time last year we were all getting a little carried away (perhaps justifiably) about Henman winning his Quarter Final. Funny how much less coverage the French Open gets now.
mobb_theprequel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Rebecca/Becca)
I have no sympathy.
Why, you cold so and so. :p:
Anne Auraque
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Who else supports a team outside the Premiership?

I support Plymouth Argyle! Well we all have our little problems!

First Post! WOO!
edmundo
Report 13 years ago
Spot on! Kick out Arsenal and put in Liverpool. Arsene Wenger seems to think the Champions League is second rate now so why not let another team that wants to be init take your place. You hardly every seem to make it past the first round anyway!
Lil' Miss Smiley
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am all for Arsenal giving their place to Liverpool.
EPD
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah, I support Lincoln, and there's a few others knocking about here - Kingslaw supports Stockport and Expression's a Mansfield fan.
mobb_theprequel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by silent p......?)
rooney, ronaldo, rio? they mean nothing to you?

And you obviously are a glory hunter if youre depressed if you haven't won something.
Unashamedly. :cool:

(Original post by silent p......?)
(I support Leeds, so no need to insult me)
Nuff said.
mobb_theprequel
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Pollo Diablo)
You think *you've* got it bad? Pfft. Imagine supporting Cambridge or Wrexham.
But to be fair, like everybody else, you had the choice to support a decent club when you were little. You obviously wasted that choice. Twice.
Anne Auraque
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ahkay, well unlucky on the play-offs, if you can keep Simon Yeo, then you should do alright next season. As for us, well Brighton got the £250,000 for a new player from Coca-Cola today so that makes our job next season that bit harder, especially with our manager! But thats what being a football supporter is all about I suppose and that's why I already have my new season ticket ordered!
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Janealams)
Robredo won the 1st set
Wat a game! :eek:

Robredo probably jus about deserved the win... phenomenal stuff tho!
Janealams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Damn it Safin is out after a nail biter he lost to Robredo
7-6, 1-6, 6-1, 4-6, 8-6.
Now whos gonna challenge Federer
Janealams
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
Wat a game! :eek:

Robredo probably jus about deserved the win... phenomenal stuff tho!
ya he really played well but i wanted Safin to win coz he might have witness a tough match between him n federer
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Janealams)
Damn it Safin is out after a nail biter he lost to Robredo
7-6, 1-6, 6-1, 4-6, 8-6.
Now whos gonna challenge Federer
Crazy game! :eek:

Both players deserved to win it! :cool:

Nadal was quality today, I still reckon he's got a good chance against Federer!
m:)ckel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yah. Nadal all the way!

Can't wait for his (potential) match with Federer! =)
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (90)
20%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (181)
40.22%
Nope, not that interesting (179)
39.78%

Watched Threads