Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

:itsme:

My footballing trivia is generally atrocious though!?!

ReputationRep:
    Wiked, anything footy related - Im in =)

ReputationRep:
    I'm there!... don't mind if its during exams - will be a welcome distraction.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun, ive only seen one cricket match myself and that was at county level, but with how good england are compared to bangladesh you should find it good to watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas)
    Leyton Orient!!!!
    Up the O's!

ReputationRep:
    Hope the weather is ok, apparantely it could rain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    That's true but could be applied the opposite way, with the likes of George Weah being a huge success despite hailing from Africa. Your arguement would be far more accurate if footballing ability was 100% dependant on nuture but I'm sure most people will agree nature plays a significant part.
    I wrote a big long answer to this originally but then my computer crashed. So you shall have to put up with a slightly blunter answer.

Geroge Weah is Liberian. I dont believe he has any other nationality.
    Thierry Henry is French. He doesnt have any other nationality.
    George Weah plays for Liberia.
    Thierry Henry plays for France.
    Er....What is wrong?

Footballing talent in practice is wholly reliant on nurture. It is curious you should dispute this when later you mention players without great talent who have succeeded, such as Wise and Ince (and indeed Roy Keane). Every country can produce 11 players (actually, make this 11,000 players) who are physically perfect for playing a sport. The chances that they will become good at football then depend on:
    1) how much time they devote to playing football.
    2) How well coached they are.

Brazil is an excellent example of the former.
    Ajax's football system and Claire Fontaine in France are excellent examples of the latter.

England, a country where most of the sporting resources are directed towards football, has done badly. Why? Because coaching is poor (how many english managers are there in the Premier League? Lets not be so harsh. How many BRITISH managers are there in the premier league? How many have won a trophy over the last 2 years? McClaren won the Worthington cup? Congratulations. :rolleyes:).

If it was down to nature, then a country where most of the raw sporting talent plays football at lunchtime, then england would have done better than just the 1 World Cup. All the way back in 1966. If I'm right, which Im not sure I am, they have managed just one final and one semi-final in their history. Nothing in the past 3 WCs.

Notice how France peaked just as Africa begins to emerge as a major world footballing force.
    France's '98 WC win had three players of African origin. Desailly, Thuram and Zidane. All lived in France permanantly by the age of 7. Are you really telling me that these players a) were imported by France because they were such big talents at such a young age b) learnt most of their footballing skills in Africa? :rofl: if you are.

And since when have Africa produced countries which are a "major footballing force"? When was their last semi-fonalist? When last did european and south-american countries quake in their boots at the prospect of facing an African side? Cameroon, Nigeria and South Africa are the only sides worth a second look in the long term. And they all peaked in 1998 didnt they! :rolleyes:

Fascinating. :rolleyes:
    My point was, france are not alone. People envy Holland, and yet they do the same thing as France.

France has more people who are not "typically" French in their society.
    France has more people who are not "typically" French in their football team.
    Woop de doo! :rolleyes:
    Why SO MANY black players? Well black players tend to have a greater physical presence...

It's hard to tell if you watch football but if you do you may of heard of Joe Cole and Paul Scholes...
    You mean Paul Scholes who has retired from international football?
    Wow Joe Cole! One whole flair player.

Players such as Paul Ince, John Terry and Dennis Wise (English) don't rely on convential footballing talent possesed by the likes of Kaka, Ronaldo and Ronaldhino(Brazillian). If you still don't get it I'm sorry.
    Sorry. What relavence does this have? There may be one, I just don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    henry is originally from guadaloupe or one of those island, i'm sure it's that one..as in his parents moved to france from there.

Good argument though, england hasn't really produced many good managers...look at man u, arsenal and chelsea. Man u, their best ever coaches have been scots, and arsenal (george graham aside, is wenger) chelsea (vialli, mourinho)...well they HAD good managers..but not nemore....talent is huge though..english players r worldwide recognised but r either too expensive or prefer their own leagues due to the superior pay packets.

ReputationRep:
    Was down at the ground the other day for business purposes and they were setting everything up, looked like quite a lot is going to be going on, but they have to i suppose, to keep cricket coming back to Chester.

Never been myself but i hope you have fun. Set to rain in afternoon i think

ReputationRep:
    How much do people actually know about this fight? In my opinion it could be one of the best of recent years, certainly the best involving a British boxer since Prince Naseem a few years back. I'm really looking forward to it. Is there anyone out there that acually thinks Hatton can win this? I'm not so sure myself but I've been following him for so long now that I know what he potentially could do to Tszyu.

Incidentally does anyone know of anywhere I can watch the fight in Oxford? I can't see too many pubs being open at 2AM to screen it!

ReputationRep:
    Actually Guadeloupe is a DOM. This is to say that it is a part of France. They vote in presedential elections and have to abide by French laws. It holds the same status as Algeria once had, and Isle de Réunion still has. You cannot hold Guadeloupian nationality. You are French.
    It is a PART of France.
    It is as though Montserret were just another county of the UK...

You may not like France's hold on overseas territories, but you cannot dispute that people from these territories are French.
    To say they are not French borders, on the racist: it is akin to saying someone who is black or has an Indian accent cannot be British.

ReputationRep:
    Who do you think will win the world cup next year?

Do you reckon England have a chance?

ReputationRep:
    I reckon they have a valid chance, yes.
    But whether it'll happen or not, i don't think so. We always seem to muck something up somewhere along the line! :p: (i.e. penalties hehe)

ReputationRep:
    Brazil's squads gonna be awesoma. Robinho + Adriano upfront is gonna pwn pretty much any team's defence

ReputationRep:
    It the right climate for england

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    Well over half the 'french' talent is from players shipped across from colonies in Africa.
    So I definately wouldn't give it to them.

In terms of variety of players I'd say England, as the likes of Brazil and Spain don't produce players like John Terry and Steven Gerrard...

So I guess, Brazil wins for raw talent but I reckon England have the best materials from which to build strong teams.
    What a risible argument - on virtually all counts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love England to win, but we'll probably be unlucky in one game and go out.

I reckon Spain might progress further this year. They've undoubtedly got a decent squad.

ReputationRep:
    we got a decent squad... just need a right combo

ReputationRep:
    Over the last few months I've come to know a lot of you really well. For this reason I'm unsure about signing up to this because I really don't want to whoop all your candy asses and humiliate you all, but, if you insist...

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.