Archive SPTM/0002/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren concedes he has been indebted to the club's Academy for keeping the club afloat this season.

Injuries forced the England assistant coach to include eight Academy graduates in the squad for Saturday's win over Blackburn.

Stewart Downing and Tony McMahon in particular have emerged as important first-team contributors this season and McClaren has been glad of the steady flow of talent from the youth ranks.

"When I look, I thank God for our Academy," said McClaren.

"The players it has produced and that are coming through shows how good our Academy is and how much we have needed them.

"They are there on merit and can do a job for us, which they have proved before. If the UEFA regulations do come in, at least we qualify for them!"

McClaren admits he would not have used so many of the young players as he has if he had the choice.

However, the bonus is that he now has early indications of just how far they can go after throwing them in at the deep end amid a disappointing run of form which had brought just one victory in seven attempts before the win over Blackburn.

"I can't say it's an ideal situation for either us or them," he said.

"Ideally, they would like to go into a winning side, but this is where you test the character of the young players, can they cope with the first team, can they cope with the Premier League?

"You find out about them very, very quickly instead of waiting two or three years to make a decision because you don't quite know if they can cope with that level.

"At least we're finding out when they're 17 or 18."

The process of producing future first-team players is one which has been given a priority at the Riverside Stadium in recent seasons, and Downing's elevation to the England squad for Wednesday night's friendly clash with Holland is an indication of its success to date.

Boro tied up promising full-back McMahon on an extended deal last week and today moved to ensure that two more of their blossoming youngsters remain on Teesside.

Talented 18-year-olds Jason Kennedy and David Knight have become the fifth and sixth members of the club's FA Youth Cup-winning side to sign professional contracts, following in the footsteps of James Morrison, McMahon, Matthew Bates and Gary Liddle.

"We are determined to hang on to and develop our best young players," said McClaren.

"Both Jason and David have earned their first professional contracts and deserve much credit for getting this far.

"Now they must strive to take the next steps. They must continue to develop and improve if they want to fulfil their ambitions of making a career in the professional game."

"It's vitally important to keep all our youngsters."
chandni
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Mclaren have for for a seriously strange concept on the engine cover today in testing. Was just looking at pictures of it... they have managed to make it look uglier than the front end of the ferrari!!!
Makavelli_07
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
"Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren concedes he has been indebted to the club's Academy for keeping the club afloat this season.

Injuries forced the England assistant coach to include eight Academy graduates in the squad for Saturday's win over Blackburn.

Stewart Downing and Tony McMahon in particular have emerged as important first-team contributors this season and McClaren has been glad of the steady flow of talent from the youth ranks.

"When I look, I thank God for our Academy," said McClaren.

"The players it has produced and that are coming through shows how good our Academy is and how much we have needed them.

"They are there on merit and can do a job for us, which they have proved before. If the UEFA regulations do come in, at least we qualify for them!"

McClaren admits he would not have used so many of the young players as he has if he had the choice.

However, the bonus is that he now has early indications of just how far they can go after throwing them in at the deep end amid a disappointing run of form which had brought just one victory in seven attempts before the win over Blackburn.

"I can't say it's an ideal situation for either us or them," he said.

"Ideally, they would like to go into a winning side, but this is where you test the character of the young players, can they cope with the first team, can they cope with the Premier League?

"You find out about them very, very quickly instead of waiting two or three years to make a decision because you don't quite know if they can cope with that level.

"At least we're finding out when they're 17 or 18."

The process of producing future first-team players is one which has been given a priority at the Riverside Stadium in recent seasons, and Downing's elevation to the England squad for Wednesday night's friendly clash with Holland is an indication of its success to date.

Boro tied up promising full-back McMahon on an extended deal last week and today moved to ensure that two more of their blossoming youngsters remain on Teesside.

Talented 18-year-olds Jason Kennedy and David Knight have become the fifth and sixth members of the club's FA Youth Cup-winning side to sign professional contracts, following in the footsteps of James Morrison, McMahon, Matthew Bates and Gary Liddle.

"We are determined to hang on to and develop our best young players," said McClaren.

"Both Jason and David have earned their first professional contracts and deserve much credit for getting this far.

"Now they must strive to take the next steps. They must continue to develop and improve if they want to fulfil their ambitions of making a career in the professional game."

"It's vitally important to keep all our youngsters."

I was having a discussion with my dad the other day about the importance of Youth Academies and we both agreed that the current group of youngsters at Boro were very impressive. You've done a good job.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the exhaust housing or wheel covers?
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by El Stevo)
for some strange reason i think they may have taken that into consideration mr fanatic... notice how vanes are nearly compare to the late 90's... also, the shaping of the cars has been pretty constant, just the sculpting has improved. winglets appearing on what was previously nothingness etc....
No need to be sarky . It wasnt that stupid a question given that ferrari hashed their cooling on the GA hence the stupid/ aerodynamically inefficient shark gills and the cars major weakness. The cooling already runs at a higher temp than it is supposed to. and cooling is actually of lesser concern cos it works bareably ok at 200mph so doesnt normally matter. However stationary is a different matter. Hence the comment about starts.
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
By the way are we the worlds only 3 F1 fans left? We do seem to be the only ones that post on here
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the exhaust housing or wheel covers?
Out of interest - what have they done to the rims or manifold housing?

Look more like aero tricks to me - take a look:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Home.aspx
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by F1 fanatic)
Out of interest - what have they done to the rims or manifold housing?

Look more like aero tricks to me - take a look:

http://www.itv-f1.com/Home.aspx
looks like it has twin fuel flaps and they got stuck open however, i'd assume its an advanced version of the awful mid-wing they used with little success in 95. that wing did not actually prove to be beneficial, so unless its a major advancement, it could well be a red herring. the only purpose it looks like it could serve is to direct air flow around the air intake tight to the airbox and so get a more uniform (directionally stable) airflow over the rear wing.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
By the way are we the worlds only 3 F1 fans left? We do seem to be the only ones that post on here
i'm surpised there's three
F1 fanatic
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
looks like it has twin fuel flaps and they got stuck open however, i'd assume its an advanced version of the awful mid-wing they used with little success in 95. that wing did not actually prove to be beneficial, so unless its a major advancement, it could well be a red herring. the only purpose it looks like it could serve is to direct air flow around the air intake tight to the airbox and so get a more uniform (directionally stable) airflow over the rear wing.
Jeez man, I mean I know qutie a bit about the technical side & Id have guessed a similar purpose but do you do some sort of engineering degree or something?

As for the mid-wing has it not been used more recently by Jordan etc? And to be honest did ferrari not use a non-aerodynamic air cleansing thing most of the year? (and everyone copied them). As for only 3 fans - should make the ticket prices cheaper (yeah right). Its nice to talk to other fans that know what they are talking about as opposed to having to explain it all to everyone. I fear both of us are finding old habits die-hard & stating the obvious

I agree about the wings by the way, even if they were gonna be used Im sure Charlie Whiting would find some reason to ban them. Danger to mechanics or summit :rolleyes:
Economist
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hazza_CPFC)
Wright, Cygan, Almunia, Grimandi, Jeffers, Wiltord, etc...

Mourihno can't be judged yet but I do agree that Ferguson has bought some donlkeys over the years - then again he's won the treble as well as a whole load of titles and FA cups with a squad largely home grown (and yes I do know this has a hell of a lot to do with Brian Kidd).

Wenger has failed to bring in players to cover the weak points in his team - that to me means he has a poor transfer record. Man Utd had a weakness at the back, they bought in Ferdinand. Granted, Arsenal don't have that kind of money, but they see not to have even seriously tried to plug the gap.
I mentioned Jeffers and Wiltord. Cygan, Almunia, Grimandi didnt exactly break the bank and they were purchased as back up
Mad_Monkey59
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
You really think so?

Don't get me wrong he was an excellent defender, and still is a fairly good one, but he is no where near the level he was. He's past his peak i think, and is getting worse by the month.
I think the guy is solid, and has been the Arsenal defensive corner stone since he joined.

Terrys an excellent defender, maybe in a few seasons but at the moment I feel Campbell has the edge over him.
Makavelli_07
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad_Monkey59)
I think the guy is solid, and has been the Arsenal defensive corner stone since he joined.

Terrys an excellent defender, maybe in a few seasons but at the moment I feel Campbell has the edge over him.
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Makavelli_07)
I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree.
I agree. I don't know what Terry has to do to be chosen alongside with Rio. He's part of the best defence that the Premiership has not seen for ages, and it looks like Chelsea may well beat the lowest goals conceded per game ratio set by Liverpool many years ago.
El Stevo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Jeez man, I mean I know qutie a bit about the technical side & Id have guessed a similar purpose but do you do some sort of engineering degree or something?
no... i'm in college but f1 has been in my life since i can remember.

As for the mid-wing has it not been used more recently by Jordan etc? And to be honest did ferrari not use a non-aerodynamic air cleansing thing most of the year?
the mid-wing used by jordan and mclaren was primarily to increase downforce. long and short was it wasn't that successful, posible due to the dodgy airflow. if it is allowed, and airflow is improved, expect to see a lip just behind the horns (to create the midwing again)

As for only 3 fans - should make the ticket prices cheaper (yeah right). Its nice to talk to other fans that know what they are talking about as opposed to having to explain it all to everyone. I fear both of us are finding old habits die-hard & stating the obvious
i'll ditto that
claireflower
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went to Charlton last nite to watch England uner 20 play Russia in a Friendly did any one else go?
HistoryStudent
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
who won?
leedsblade
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
England won 2-0.
How did Simon Francis(defender)do when he came on at h/t do you know?

Gemx
goldenbarnes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I just know about the Boro players, sorry. Danny Graham had quite a good game and played the whole 90 minutes. In the second half he had a one-on-one with the Russian goalkeeper and, instead of firing at the 'keeper like he did on Saturday, this time he pushed it wide of the far post. Ross Turnbull was a huge improvement on the 'keeper in the first half and what a big bloke he is. Made two good saves but was otherwise untroubled.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lost to Holland for the U21.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (34)
17%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42%
Nope, not that interesting (82)
41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise