Is a creative writing degree worth it

Watch this thread
Sadgirl23311
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I want to be a writer ish should i consider studying writing
squirrelmonkey12
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
If it's something you really love, then go for it
But if there's a subject you also like and think might better work-wise, then you can always do writing for fun alongside it
GatoMessi
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
If you wish to become a creative writer, then go for it. But you could at least think about taking up English / English Literature - to see where they will go, or Screenwriter for movies.

So what do you want to write about?
Thisismyunitsr
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
No degree is worth it. At least financially
nnth
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Thisismyunitsr)
No degree is worth it. At least financially
apart from ones that get you jobs which earn you s**t loads of money after.

(Original post by Sadgirl23311)
doing a broad English degree may be better for you if you're not entirely sure if whether creative writing is your thing, as an English degree would provide you with more opportunities. I'd recommend to practise your creative writing skills on a daily / weekly basis. One way of doing this is by entering weekly / monthly creative writing competitions, e.g. https://creativewritingink.co.uk/writing-competitions/, or by joining the creative writing club at your school (or starting one if it doesn't exist!). You could also start a creative writing vlog / blog. If it were a blog, it could be here on TSR. Hope this helps
Last edited by nnth; 6 months ago
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Sadgirl23311 Hiya, if you want to become a writer then a Creative Writing course could be a great option for you. I wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do before I applied to university myself, but I knew that I had a passion for writing. Over my first year on a Creative Writing course, I realised that I truly wanted to write narratives for video games, and that's what I plan to use my degree for. There's actually plenty you can go into with a degree in this area, much more than people realise. There's no harm in doing a bit of research to see what kind of opportunities await with a degree in the humanities area, so I'd definitely at least consider it.

If you have any further questions about creative writing courses, please do ask!
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hi there, how are you?

My name is Konnie and I’m a postgraduate Creative Writing student at De Montfort University. 😊

I think it’s great that you want to become a writer! If this is your true passion, then I think a Creative Writing degree would be worth seriously considering. There are lots of different modules that help you not only become a better writer, but also teach you how to access the industry, and make money from your writing.

Take a look at the Creative Writing course structure at some different universities. Each do slightly different modules, so it is important to do your research to make sure that a course would be best suited to you, and your writing.

What do you like to write?

Konnie 😊
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Do you know, I personally wouldn't do a Creative Writing degree. I do a bit of writing and get paid a little bit for some of it and I know that it is very hard to earn a living doing writing.
If you love this area you could do a degree like English or some sort of humanities degree that will open up your options more.
You can still do creative writing and do courses on it as a separate thing.
Last edited by Cote1; 5 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads