The Student Room Group

Please help me decide if I should drop English Literature.

I'm currently in Y12 Studying A level Psychology, History and English Literature

I talked to one of my science teachers today about dropping English Lit and instead taking Biology or Chemistry. I was thinking of doing either Medicine or Neuroscience at University but all the top Russell Group Uni's need you to either have taken Chemistry or Biology to take those subjects. I do love Psychology and History but I feel like they won't be very financially helpful when I get older.

So far I have been doing very well in English Lit and have loved the in-class discussions that come with it. However i feel like that won't help me get to the place i want in University. And the work that my teacher has been setting me is quite uninteresting so far.

Who knows but i am very confused on what i should do right now as i feel like i need to act now or never as i would not like to re-take Y12 and that my school will not let anyone switch their subjects soon.

Am i doing the right choice? Am i just being paranoid for no reason and Psychology and History can take me just as far?

My parents have always been very supportive and told me to just go with what my gut tells me. but this is one of those times I don't know.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.
All life is a risk.

If you are going to change a subject then the risk is will you be worse off by doing so?
If you are not likely to be worse off, say by performing less well in a new subject , then take the chance now.

The biggest obstacle to overcome is how will you catch up with the work you have missed.

Subjects really change at A level from GCSE and you really need to investigate further the work you will be doing with a new subject.

Look into the work you will be doing and check that you will enjoy it. Also check the amount of work you will need to catch up.

Once you have investigated these points and ensured that you can cope with the changes make your decision and do not look back.

Many years ago I was in a similar position. I had done some ALevel English Literature lessons and was not sure it was for me.

I thought about doing another subject instead. The teacher talked me out of leaving the group and changing to another subject.

However my instinct proved correct and it was a disaster. When I realised this it was just too late to change and I got a very disappointing result. This was very upsetting but I learnt a very important lesson. Trust your own instinct.
Hi, so here's what I think :
You said that you've been enjoying English lit and it is classed as a facilitating subject I think so it is a good one for universities!
If you're wanting to go on and do something with medicine psychology with a mix of a science goes well I think but with history added into the mix it may seem misplaced but that's just my opinion, hope that helps 😊
The question you need to address firstly is why you are considering suddenly changing to medicine or neuroscience. If it's "because they have better prospects" then immediately disregard that idea and stick with what you are doing. Fundamentally you could get a degree in e.g. Cuneiform Studies and still do very well for yourself, if you get a good degree classification and a lot of relevant internships/work experience/placements/etc while you are on the degree. Most grad schemes do not care what you studied at uni. You can go into investment banking, accounting, media, business/management, the civil service, law, etc, and many other "lucrative" professions having studied anything at all.

If you have done e.g. medical work experience and realised it's your "calling" then do whatever you need to do in order to meet the requirements; you may be better off sticking with your current subjects then taking biology and/or chemistry in a gap year(s) for example. Only taking one or the other will still leave you very, very few medical schools to choose from when applying to anyway so you may be better off just getting excellent grades initially then applying to medicine with a gateway year (i.e. "subject changer" foundation year medicine courses) and/or Newcastle (which has no required subjects for medicine). So even in this case it may be better to stick your current course though - especially if by changing now you run the risk of either a) getting worse results in one or more subjects (which would likely require you resit and then be doing the gap year anyway) or b) having to take your set of three original A-levels over more than 2 years (which medical schools really don't like).

might have some thoughts on the medicine side of things. My perspective is that if you are enjoying English lit already you should stick with it, then figure out how to connect the dots for medicine if need be. For neuroscience it's even less relevant because neuroscience (and in fact, most STEM degrees) are widely available with foundation years for people who took the "wrong" subjects in uni - some examples include Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, etc...
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
The question you need to address firstly is why you are considering suddenly changing to medicine or neuroscience. If it's "because they have better prospects" then immediately disregard that idea and stick with what you are doing. Fundamentally you could get a degree in e.g. Cuneiform Studies and still do very well for yourself, if you get a good degree classification and a lot of relevant internships/work experience/placements/etc while you are on the degree. Most grad schemes do not care what you studied at uni. You can go into investment banking, accounting, media, business/management, the civil service, law, etc, and many other "lucrative" professions having studied anything at all.

If you have done e.g. medical work experience and realised it's your "calling" then do whatever you need to do in order to meet the requirements; you may be better off sticking with your current subjects then taking biology and/or chemistry in a gap year(s) for example. Only taking one or the other will still leave you very, very few medical schools to choose from when applying to anyway so you may be better off just getting excellent grades initially then applying to medicine with a gateway year (i.e. "subject changer" foundation year medicine courses) and/or Newcastle (which has no required subjects for medicine). So even in this case it may be better to stick your current course though - especially if by changing now you run the risk of either a) getting worse results in one or more subjects (which would likely require you resit and then be doing the gap year anyway) or b) having to take your set of three original A-levels over more than 2 years (which medical schools really don't like).

@ecolier might have some thoughts on the medicine side of things. My perspective is that if you are enjoying English lit already you should stick with it, then figure out how to connect the dots for medicine if need be. For neuroscience it's even less relevant because neuroscience (and in fact, most STEM degrees) are widely available with foundation years for people who took the "wrong" subjects in uni - some examples include Southampton, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, etc...

Thanks so much for this information. the risk of getting worse results is definitely high. Will definitely talk to my teacher tomorrow and try to update you if possible. once again thank you.
Reply 5
Honestly it's my fault for not having done my own research of universities a bit before this but thanks a lot

that link is extremely helpful and gives me a better insight on the universities.

I live very near Newcastle so that's a great plus for me and the additional fact that you do not need any sciences to take medicine, however i imagine due to this factor that it is very competitive? Also have family that live in Oxford and friends that live in Southampton so Southampton might be a good choice, Thank you once again i will definitely examine that link further and try to update you.
Reply 6
Original post by LouiseRu
All life is a risk.

If you are going to change a subject then the risk is will you be worse off by doing so?
If you are not likely to be worse off, say by performing less well in a new subject , then take the chance now.

The biggest obstacle to overcome is how will you catch up with the work you have missed.

Subjects really change at A level from GCSE and you really need to investigate further the work you will be doing with a new subject.

Look into the work you will be doing and check that you will enjoy it. Also check the amount of work you will need to catch up.

Once you have investigated these points and ensured that you can cope with the changes make your decision and do not look back.

Many years ago I was in a similar position. I had done some ALevel English Literature lessons and was not sure it was for me.

I thought about doing another subject instead. The teacher talked me out of leaving the group and changing to another subject.

However my instinct proved correct and it was a disaster. When I realised this it was just too late to change and I got a very disappointing result. This was very upsetting but I learnt a very important lesson. Trust your own instinct.

Thank you for your insight. I will consider this.
Reply 7
Original post by Mastermind1234
Hi, so here's what I think :
You said that you've been enjoying English lit and it is classed as a facilitating subject I think so it is a good one for universities!
If you're wanting to go on and do something with medicine psychology with a mix of a science goes well I think but with history added into the mix it may seem misplaced but that's just my opinion, hope that helps 😊

Thanks very much for this.

Quick Reply

Latest