Managing a quality service for HEO level

Watch this thread
Hertron
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, I am applying for an HEO level and I need to write this behaviour within 250 words; any help for ideas.
"Develop, implement, maintain and review systems and services to ensure delivery of professional excellence" this is the start and yeah it would be great to have ideas from you guys

PS I recently passed an EO position and I am strong on few others behaviours so I am happy to exchange ideas and give support
K42
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
I usually break down the behaviour into key elements then write my example to meet each thing in the behaviour.

For non-civil servants, the 'framework for 'Success profiles behaviours' when applying for Civil Service jobs can be found here: https://assets.publishing.service.go...iours_2018.pdf

So for 'Managing a Quality Service' at HEO:

Give brief info on your role and the service - keep it short.

Explain how you led development, your process for implementation, maintain and review. Did you have a roadmap, was it using AGILE, etc.

Cover how you engaged with different stakeholder groups, so the kind of comms you used (emails, workshops) how did you collate their priorities and transform these so the team could use them.

For risks mention your feedback processes and any horizon scanning you did you inform your risk register.

For a diverse range of stakeholders, target expert users, technical, senior management, etc. Some would have just had presentations, others face to face engagement, etc.

For feedback cover your feedback loop, did you use verbal feedback, surveys, were there service metrics that you used to drive your areas for investigation when looking at continuous improvement, etc.

At the end add 1-2 lines on your outcome and give something quantifiable e.g. you improved service effectiveness by x% or saved so much money or customer satisfaction rose x%

Write each area above individually then blend it into one continuous example (as the 250 words are never enough). Make sure throughout your highlight your actions. Use 'I' whenever you can to highlight your actions.

Below is one of my old G7 competencies - I'm afraid I don't have one for managing a quality service but it gives you an idea of how I write them. Don't worry about referencing so many methodologies, etc at HEO level.

When I joined HM Revenue & Customs, customer confidence in data services was low.

I reviewed existing services, liaising with Senior Stakeholders and Subject Matter Experts to understand the gap between current business outputs and expected service.

Existing processes were unstructured and ineffective, resulting in laborious meetings and unnecessary bureaucracy.

I engaged senior leaders across government, establishing cross-government working groups to identify common data standards and long-term strategic objectives. I coordinated this community, integrating it with internal function leads to inform the design of a new Target Operating Model and function Value Chain. This better-communicated vision and aligned function objectives with business needs.

I faced challenges from the wider Senior Leadership Team as historically my predecessors had made similar promises, but failed to deliver. I presented high-level plans in plain English with a clear risks/benefits narrative and supported this with summary performance data, wider-government endorsements and a financial model, which gained unanimous approval.

Facing overwhelming amounts of unstructured and complex business data, I arranged training to upskill staff in common standards and frameworks (MoSCoW prioritisation, process mapping, AGILE, ITIL, etc), this harmonised working approach across teams and resulted in coordinated working and meaningful data.

I consolidated function performance via balanced scorecards, key project presentations, and governance boards. This informed improvements to service strategy e.g. automatic QA scripts to flag issues, introducing incident reporting categorisation and prioritisation processes, etc.

My changes received overwhelmingly positive feedback (Customer satisfaction rose by 20%, prompting creation of a new Business Intelligence function.
Hertron
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you for taking the time and the quality of the info there.There are quite a few names/words I am not familiar with at the moment but it does give me an idea on how to approach it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (112)
40.88%
They're exactly what I expected (65)
23.72%