rebecca788
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I have a practice essay due for biology about the importance of ions in living organisms. Does anyone have any ideas on what ions I can talk about and which topics to relate them to?
Thanks
Anholm
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
There are 4 main ones you need to know for the AQA exam (but it is probably the same for the others too)
▪Iron ions are found mostly in haemoglobin on red blood cells and are used for transporting oxygen around the body each red blood cell contains several hundered thousand haemoglobin proteins.
▪Hydrogen ions determine the pH (power of hydrogen) of everything in the body and therefore functioning of enzymes. A higher pH is more basic and a lower pH is more acidic. The higher the concentration of hydrogen ions, the lower the pH.
▪Phosphate ions form a structural role in DNA, RNA and 'store energy' in ATP which has three phosphate groups attached to the pentose sugar (ribose) which is in turn attached to an adenine nitrogenous base. Phosphate is also found in the polar head of phospholipids which form the phospholipid bilayer of cell membranes
▪Sodium ions are important for lots of things such as the co-transport of glucose and amino acids across plasma membranes (phospholipid bilayer) usually from the lumen of the ileum into the epithelial cells. This is called active transport and requires ATP to function.
I hope this helped!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (69)
69%
In the post (4)
4%
Text (13)
13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (14)
14%

Watched Threads