Please critique my writing!!!

Watch
beeurll
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m in year 9 and interested in creative language,
I wrote a short piece, please tell me ways to improve and what you think about it. Thank you x

I stroked my colours against my paper, tearing past the orderly sketch I had made, my palms dented an abyss, swollen rose within the hours I drew. Slightly grasping the frayed edges of my “art” , I braced myself for the horror to come forth as I pry into my drawing; my eyes were painted bloodshot and crazed.

You’ve got the skills of an idiot who got too much praise.

Bronfenbrennerzy
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
is tht last sentence for urself or?
beeurll
Rep:
It’s based on the person the piece is about, it’s sort of an inner monologue?
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by beeurll)
I wrote a short piece, please tell me ways to improve and what you think about it. Thank you x

I stroked my colours against my paper, tearing past the orderly sketch I had made, my palms dented an abyss, swollen rose within the hours I drew. Slightly grasping the frayed edges of my “art” , I braced myself for the horror to come forth as I pry into my drawing; my eyes were painted bloodshot and crazed.

The last paragraph/sentence was so unnecessary.
beeurll
Rep:
Elaborate?
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago

Show not tell, don’t say I stroked my colours onto the page, a different way of phrasing would be the colours caressed the page. Delete the last sentence it adds no value. I’d suggest talking about the painting as a whole and then zooming into one specific point of the painting, try to refrain from the sentence beginning slightly grasping, as this is quite cliche imo. But it’s a good start, nice language and somewhat paints a picture in the readers mind, let me know if you have anymore questions
ashvinsingh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago

The way I would approach this piece about a painting would be - Caressing the page, the vibrant colours provided solace (shelter) to the innocent canvas that shivered before gazing eyes. (In normal English the colours covered the canvas and were looked at by people)
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Elaborate?
Insulting
beeurll
Rep:
That was the intent
da_nolo
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago

try have periods instead of commas, getting rid of the run on sentence (s). short sentences can add to insanity that is felt.

take out "my." already understood that things are my colours and my palms. also makes "art" more inclusive where as you can take out the quotes. maybe change that to italics.

then since we know we are talking about self, give first person view as the person saying these things talk to themselves. within the mind.

so second to last semtence can be.
braced for the horror to come (or emerge - use thesaurus for come [forth]). I pry into the drawing. eyes painted bloodshot. crazed from compression of praize

or something like that. ending part is diffocult because it is insulting. so can express the praise is overwhelming.
Wired_1800
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
That was the intent
Ok
beeurll
Rep:
Thank you so much for the reply x I will continue to work on my piece and take what you’ve said into consideration.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.62%
Okay (106)
29.12%
A bit lacking (135)
37.09%
Not good at all (88)
24.18%

Watched Threads