How to find no. of bonds in an alkene.

Watch this thread
Aleksander Krol
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
there' a question from jan 2021 edexcel unit 1 asking us to calculate the no. of C=C bonds in 1 molecule of squalene (alkene) .
my question is, in orded to work this out, do we like always have to divide the moles of hydrogen needed to convert the alkene into an alkane by the no. of moles of alkene?
basically, how do i find the no. of C=C in an alkene? is there a formula for it?
Last edited by Aleksander Krol; 7 months ago
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Aleksander Krol)
there' a question from jan 2021 edexcel unit 1 asking us to calculate the no. of C=C bonds in 1 molecule of squalene (alkene) .
my question is, in orded to work this out, do we like always have to divide the moles of hydrogen needed to convert the alkene into an alkane by the no. of moles of alkene?
basically, how do i find the no. of C=C in an alkene? is there a formula for it?
Look up the index of hydrogen deficiency.

The general formula of an alkane (totally saturated) is CnH(2n+2)

You can use this to find the number of hydrogen atoms in a saturated molecule. The number "missing", divided by 2 gives you the number of double bonds (for polyalkenes)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads