marxkate
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone

Really excited to start my SCITT course next year! Does anyone know when we get our timetable?
Also, is there any flexibility with regards starting and finishing times? For instance, I take my children to school for 8:45am. If my training school starts at 9am will I be okay arriving just on time?
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by marxkate)
Hi everyone

Really excited to start my SCITT course next year! Does anyone know when we get our timetable?
Also, is there any flexibility with regards starting and finishing times? For instance, I take my children to school for 8:45am. If my training school starts at 9am will I be okay arriving just on time?
It will vary based on the course somewhat when you receive your timetable. For my SCITT, we were told where our first placement would be in late July, so we could find out then when the school day starts. However, we did not get a timetable of lessons or anything like that until the first day of the course - which is pretty much the norm, as this is something you will set up with your mentor. We also knew in advance what days would be uni days, and the start time of those - your provider probably will be able to tell you this information now if you ask them, if there is a university element to the course.

As for arriving on time, that's a bit of a tricky issue. A lot of schools will have morning briefings that you are expected to attend - so for example, my current school has form time starting at 9AM, but briefings two days a week that are at 8:40AM, so I couldn't be in any later than that. There is also the issue of potentially being late - if you are cutting it very close every morning, you will probably be late some mornings, and that is a much bigger issue in teaching than in some other professions. If you don't have an alternative available (e.g. breakfast club at your children's school / a partner who can take them to school) then I would contact your SCITT now and tell them about this, as hopefully they can then try to secure you a placement somewhere that will work for you.

Something else to consider is that you will also be expected to stay for after-school meetings. The frequency of these depends on the school, but when I trained, I had 2 - 3 after school meetings most weeks that ran til 4:30pm. You will also most likely be expected to attend a few parents evenings, which can run relatively late.
marxkate
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thanks for that. Yes, it's not every day that would be an issue as my husband works from home most of the time - it's generally only one day a week that it would prove tricky. Thanks so much for all your advice.
ThursdaysChild22
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
We are expected to arrive at least 30 minutes before the start of the school day, and that has been the norm at most schools I’ve worked in. Having said that, most schools I’ve worked in have been flexible when staff have a childcare issue on one particular day of the week and are happy to work around that.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone

If you are full-time then you'll need to be there for briefing ie by 8.30am in many schools. Everyone is contractually required to stay for 10 minutes after the end of the day. There is usually at least one ater school meeting and other commitments you'll be expected to work around.

Does your children's school not offer a breakfast club or wrap around care? If not you'll need to arrange care for them.

I do timetable part-timers for early finishes if I can if they have young children.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone

You usually won't get your timetable until just before placement, as each school is different. You will know ahead of time which days you're in uni and which days you will be in school, which helps, and you will probably know term dates in advance.

Realistically, I don't think dropping your children off at 8.45 will be doable, unfortunately. I'm not aware of any schools that start their day later than 9am, and even excluding morning briefing etc, you will be lucky to get a placement school that's within 15 minutes of your children's school in rush hour traffic- maybe in a large city, but you will be starting every day stressed, and that isn't great when you are training. When I was training, one placement school required us on site 8-4 every day, and it's not always easy to work round these things!

Can you place them in breakfast club or some kind of wrap around care? I know it's not ideal but I think for your training year at least, needs must.

I'm not a parent so feel free to take this with a pinch of salt, but I don't think teaching is a family friendly job IN TERM TIME unless you can work part time. The trade off is that you get all the holidays (pretty much) with your kids. But there's no taking time off during term time to go to special events, teaching is very much not a 9-3 job in term time. You will have to work hard, especially during the SCITT year- there will be things you need to do during evenings and weekends. There will also be some late evening events which are unavoidable (e.g. parents evenings, presentation evenings, school productions etc).

I do think teaching can work well for parents, particularly if you can afford to work part time, but in terms of day to day child care, it's not always the easiest.

Sorry this isn't what you want to hear- I do think if you can make the SCITT year work, there are benefits to teaching for family life, but the training year will be tough.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads