Belleb101
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Just thought I would share on here if anyone has been in a similar situation and would like to share their thoughts. I started my course on the 1st of September and I know I haven't been on it long but it is already impacting me in a negative way. I have to be honest, the University aspect of it all has been awful. Every single lecture is online, which I know is due to 'Covid' but for those who learn through face-to-face interaction, it is such a struggle. I genuinely feel I have not learnt a thing through these lectures, I don't get anything out of a lecturer reading from a slide. I also find that the university is feeding me all this information, however are not actually showing me how to teach. I get some people have been TA's for years, but there is some of us that have never stepped foot in a classroom before. I just feel that they are not organised and I am so unprepared. My personal academic tutor rarely replies to my emails and if I do get a response, they aren't very helpful. I am currently in my first placement which isn't going how I wanted it to go. My mentor doesn't really know what they are supposed to be doing with me, I did not feel welcome when I went into their classroom and I just feel like a spare part and that they don't want me there. I feel as if I have to force a conversation out of them. It doesn't help that there are other PG's in my school who tell me how great their mentors are and they are receiving all this help, which I am not getting. The school is also an hour away and I have to drive on a motorway where on most occasions there is traffic, so the travelling just exhausts me and I don't want to do anything when I get home. I know I sound like I am complaining, but I just feel it has all been negative from the get-go. I'm just not happy and have already had a breakdown. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know if this is something I want to continue with.
k1tsun3
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
It's so difficult when your placement isn't going well. I did a secondary PGCE and felt that the lectures did very little to prepare me for the classroom and teaching. It's more theoretical and then you have to learn to apply it. I was lucky and had an amazing first placement. That made all the difference as my second placement was overcrowded with no real support. I mostly worked with a long-term supply teacher. She was fab, but she has only been at the school 2 months and all of my classes were challenging as she taught classes full of EAL learners or students with social emotional and behavioural difficulties. Try and reach out to your advisor at your university to discuss.

It really sounds like a rough situtation. You have to step back and ask yourself if you really want to teach. If the answer is yes, then try and get the support from you uni in smoothing things over at your placement school. Do you get 2 placement like secondary? If so, then maybe your next one will be better. I know it's so hard when starting to try and ride through this, but if it is what you really want, dropping out will make it more difficult to get onto a course again.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Just thought I would share on here if anyone has been in a similar situation and would like to share their thoughts. I started my course on the 1st of September and I know I haven't been on it long but it is already impacting me in a negative way. I have to be honest, the University aspect of it all has been awful. Every single lecture is online, which I know is due to 'Covid' but for those who learn through face-to-face interaction, it is such a struggle. I genuinely feel I have not learned a thing through these lectures, I don't get anything out of a lecturer reading from a slide. I also find that the university is feeding me all this information, however are not actually showing me how to teach. I get some people have been TA's for years, but there are some of us that have never stepped foot in a classroom before. I just feel that they are not organised and I am so unprepared. My personal academic tutor rarely replies to my emails and if I do get a response, they aren't very helpful. I am currently in my first placement which isn't going how I wanted it to go. My mentor doesn't really know what they are supposed to be doing with me, I did not feel welcome when I went into their classroom and I just feel like a spare part and that they don't want me there. I feel as if I have to force a conversation out of them. It doesn't help that there are other PG's in my school who tell me how great their mentors are and they are receiving all this help, which I am not getting. The school is also an hour away and I have to drive on a motorway where on most occasions there is traffic, so the traveling just exhausts me and I don't want to do anything when I get home. I know I sound like I am complaining, but I just feel it has all been negative from the get-go. I'm just not happy and have already had a breakdown. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I just don't know if this is something I want to continue with.
Belleb101
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by k1tsun3)
It's so difficult when your placement isn't going well. I did a secondary PGCE and felt that the lectures did very little to prepare me for the classroom and teaching. It's more theoretical and then you have to learn to apply it. I was lucky and had an amazing first placement. That made all the difference as my second placement was overcrowded with no real support. I mostly worked with a long-term supply teacher. She was fab, but she has only been at the school 2 months and all of my classes were challenging as she taught classes full of EAL learners or students with social emotional and behavioural difficulties. Try and reach out to your advisor at your university to discuss.

It really sounds like a rough situtation. You have to step back and ask yourself if you really want to teach. If the answer is yes, then try and get the support from you uni in smoothing things over at your placement school. Do you get 2 placement like secondary? If so, then maybe your next one will be better. I know it's so hard when starting to try and ride through this, but if it is what you really want, dropping out will make it more difficult to get onto a course again.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Best of luck!
Thanks so much for your advice. I have always gone back and forth with the idea of teaching and I just decided that the only way I am going to know is if `I give it a shot. I love working with children and before my PGCE I worked in a residential care home for vulnerable children. But I guess I was just expecting much more in terms of the university. I just feel like I haven't been given enough support. Then on top of that my first placement isn't what I thought it would be like and it's put me off. We get 3 placements within primary. I guess my thoughts are just everywhere at the moment and feeling a little lost
Adz2042
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
PGCE is through the uni and then you do the classroom work.

Did you not have the option / research and do the option of a SKITT?
The SCITT enables graduates to undertake their training within a school environment, leading to Qualified Teacher Status.
Basically you learn within the classroom from the first day.

Most people have to drive on the motorway to commute to their workplaces, so traffic is inevitable. Would leaving earlier help you?
Teaching isn't for everybody.
Maybe take a hobby / interest that you really enjoy, and pursue that route with a free course from UDemy or Coursera?
k1tsun3
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Belleb101)
Thanks so much for your advice. I have always gone back and forth with the idea of teaching and I just decided that the only way I am going to know is if `I give it a shot. I love working with children and before my PGCE I worked in a residential care home for vulnerable children. But I guess I was just expecting much more in terms of the university. I just feel like I haven't been given enough support. Then on top of that my first placement isn't what I thought it would be like and it's put me off. We get 3 placements within primary. I guess my thoughts are just everywhere at the moment and feeling a little lost
I feel that. I'm originally from the US and most of my friends at uni were education majors. They go so much more in-depth than the PGCE with an entire semester of observations before they do their semester placement. It's a 4 year degree there, so there is more time, but even the MAT (1-year graduate entry to teaching) spends more time in observations and the prep is more hands on. I definitely felt underprepared. I don't recall one PGCE student from my course or those I met from other courses on placement who wasn't stressed. It's a very hard year. If you stick it out, then make sure you really research every school you apply to. The school environment can make a huge difference and when you interview, ask about who your NQT mentor will be. Again, I really lucked out there. You really need a feel for the school. I have left interviews after just going though the first part because I knew the school wasn't for me.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
You definitely learn more in placement than in lectures.
I think it's quite normal to feel like you're "in the way". I know i felt like that in my first placement. Give it some time, as your responsibilities in the classroom increases, you probably won't feel that way any more.

I did my Primary PGCE last year
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
The nature of the PGCE is very much a "learn by doing"/"hit the ground running" course. It is very much a trial by fire.

I'm not suggesting that is right or wrong, but I think the way you are feeling is very normal.

I'm assuming you have some specific reason for wanting to train in the UK? If not, and you prefer the US system, then perhaps it would be best to drop out and train in the US instead.

I'm sorry that you feel lost, though, and I would suggest talking to your mentor about how you feel. Maybe give it until Christmas, and reasses then if you still feel the same?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.61%
Okay (112)
29.09%
A bit lacking (145)
37.66%
Not good at all (91)
23.64%

Watched Threads