The Student Room Group

Cash-in code help (asap)

Hey guys. I'm very confused at the moment & I was wondering if any of you could help me out. Please respond before 11th as that is the deadline for registration.

I'm registering myself for 2 units of edexcel IAL further maths in Jan 2022 (M1 & FP1) without entering any cash-in code. I'll do 4 units later on in summer 2022 (M2, FP2, D1 & S3) with the following cash-in code YFM01.

I've 2 questions. How do you think will they distribute the units across AS & A2? Will they do FP1 & two other units with the least UMS for AS? And FP2 along the other 2 units with the highest UMS for A2?

Also, the other question is if I should enter AS cash-in code when registering for M1 & FP1 in Jan 2022? I mean I'm only doing 2 units in jan instead of the required 3 for AS so I'm not sure.

Please respond as soon as possible.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
A cash-in code is just a request to add up your marks and give you an overall grade. You only submit a cash-in code when you have completed a qualification - so if you are entered for only 2 units they you can't. There also isn't a cash-in for A2, only for AS and A level. As all the AS units fall within the A level which ones they use for it are irrelevant. In fact, if you're taking A level FM then there's little point cashing-in the AS at all, but if you do they will calculate it using FP1 and the highest 2 other possible units.

Cash-in doesn't exist in England any more and I'm not that up to date with international qualifications, but it used to be the case that you also needed to (re-)cash-in your Maths AS and A levels when you cashed in FM to allow movement between qualifications to maximise your grades - e.g. you might be able to get better grades by swapping around some of M1, M2, D1, S1 and S2 between Maths and FM (Maths can contain 2 from D1, M1 and S1 or a pair of 1 and 2, e.g. M1 & M2.)
Reply 3
Original post by EOData
A cash-in code is just a request to add up your marks and give you an overall grade. You only submit a cash-in code when you have completed a qualification - so if you are entered for only 2 units they you can't. There also isn't a cash-in for A2, only for AS and A level. As all the AS units fall within the A level which ones they use for it are irrelevant. In fact, if you're taking A level FM then there's little point cashing-in the AS at all, but if you do they will calculate it using FP1 and the highest 2 other possible units.

Cash-in doesn't exist in England any more and I'm not that up to date with international qualifications, but it used to be the case that you also needed to (re-)cash-in your Maths AS and A levels when you cashed in FM to allow movement between qualifications to maximise your grades - e.g. you might be able to get better grades by swapping around some of M1, M2, D1, S1 and S2 between Maths and FM (Maths can contain 2 from D1, M1 and S1 or a pair of 1 and 2, e.g. M1 & M2.)

Hey thank you so much for your help! It means a lot to me.

At first, I was confused if I should re-cash-in my Maths A levels too when I cash in for FM in June 2022. On the document that I've linked below, it mentions on page 66 "Re-entering A level Mathematics ensures that all units are available for re-use and that the grades for both titles are based on the optimum combination of units." but I am not sure if I should re-cash in just for AS Maths or for both AS & A level Maths.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Information-manual/4-International-A-Level.pdf

I got an A in Maths with a score of 568/600. I got 99 & 100 in S1 and S2 respectively but they've already used my UMS in S1 & S2 to generate the grade of A in Maths.
I'm not so good in mechanics & I am expecting around 75 each in M1 & M2. I would like them to use my M1 & M2 UMS for A level Mathematics. If they do, then my grade in A level Maths will stay an A.
Basically, I guess what I am trying to say is that I want them to use my UMS of 99 in S1 & 100 in S2 for Further Mathematics instead of Mathematics but I am not sure if they will even if I cash in for AS & A level Mathematics.
Reply 4
Original post by Pistas
Hey thank you so much for your help! It means a lot to me.

At first, I was confused if I should re-cash-in my Maths A levels too when I cash in for FM in June 2022. On the document that I've linked below, it mentions on page 66 "Re-entering A level Mathematics ensures that all units are available for re-use and that the grades for both titles are based on the optimum combination of units." but I am not sure if I should re-cash in just for AS Maths or for both AS & A level Maths.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Information-manual/4-International-A-Level.pdf

I got an A in Maths with a score of 568/600. I got 99 & 100 in S1 and S2 respectively but they've already used my UMS in S1 & S2 to generate the grade of A in Maths.
I'm not so good in mechanics & I am expecting around 75 each in M1 & M2. I would like them to use my M1 & M2 UMS for A level Mathematics. If they do, then my grade in A level Maths will stay an A.
Basically, I guess what I am trying to say is that I want them to use my UMS of 99 in S1 & 100 in S2 for Further Mathematics instead of Mathematics but I am not sure if they will even if I cash in for AS & A level Mathematics.

Re-cash-in all your Maths qualifications - AS and A level Maths and AS FM if you've previously cashed that in. At the moment you have 88 more UMS in Maths than you need for an A, by re-cashing in it will free this up to be used in FM (by swapping in lower scoring applied units to Maths) if it would improve your grade there. The S2 score could be used as part of the UMS needed for an A* at FM as well (which needs at least 270 UMS from your best 3 A2 units in FM, where an A2 unit is any unit ending with a 2 or more).

You can't ask what units go where, they are allocated automatically (If you have re-cashed in everything) to prioritise (in this order):

Your Maths grade

Your FM grade

Your Maths UMS

Your FMS UMS

Quick Reply

Latest