The Student Room Group

any ideas on this question? anyone?

how does cardiovascular disease event involve inflammotroy response?
That's the whole atherosclerosis process. I don't remember it off the top of my head rn but It'll be in your textbook/revision guide and there are some good videos for it on youtube.
Original post by kaorimiyazono
That's the whole atherosclerosis process. I don't remember it off the top of my head rn but It'll be in your textbook/revision guide and there are some good videos for it on youtube.

I know the blood clotting cascade very well but when this question is asking about cardiovascular disease is just explaining the cascade enough?
Original post by cherryhitchkins
I know the blood clotting cascade very well but when this question is asking about cardiovascular disease is just explaining the cascade enough?

No, as the user above explained, you need to discuss the atherosclerosis process.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
No, as the user above explained, you need to discuss the atherosclerosis process.

just describing the clotting cascade is enough?
just describing the clotting cascade is enough?

The blood clotting cascade is a different thing to atherosclerosis. It's this: https://alevelbiology.co.uk/notes/atherosclerosis/
Idk how good these notes are but they should hopefully help you a bit :smile:
Reply 6
how does cardiovascular disease event involve inflammotroy response?

As others have said, atherosclerosis is the process that causes most cardiovascular disease. It is not simply a deposition of lipids (fat) in the arterial walls, it’s a lot more complex, it is actually an inflammatory process involving wide range of immune cells.
There is a new research paper on a well-designed study in the latest edition of Nature Reviews Cardiology that shows that saturated fatty acids have a pro-inflammatory effect on T lymphocytes [promote the inflammation that is part of the atherosclerotic process] and unsaturated fatty acids are anti-inflammatory. This supports the older view, which has been contested more recently, but oc needs to be corroborated by other workers.

[For A level, it is useful to know that T cells have a role to play in the inflammatory aspect of atherosclerosis - as pointed out by @Jpw1097 it is a complex process]

Quick Reply

Latest