Questions about joining the fire service

Watch
Alfiesjushshshs
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi - so I am considering possibly joining the fire service. I am 18 years old and not at university. I did uniformed public services at college (D*D*) and A-level criminology (B).

I just have a few questions though - will the current qualifications I have be enough to get into the fire service, or would it be better if I got a degree? I am aware that every fire service in the country says you don’t NEED a degree, but would having one seriously improve my chances of getting in, or would it just be a waste of money and 3 years of my life?

Also - how fit do you have to be? Like, do you have to be super fit or is there only a reasonable level of fitness required. Because don’t get me wrong I’m willing to change my body completely and become the rock Johnson if needed, I’d just rather not as I want to join the fire service soon and not in years time when I’ve finished my bodybuilding training.

Any current/previous firefighter or just anyone who knows about the fire service - I’d really appreciate your answers! Thank you 👍
JohnB1
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Alfiesjushshshs)
Hi - so I am considering possibly joining the fire service. I am 18 years old and not at university. I did uniformed public services at college (D*D*) and A-level criminology (B).

I just have a few questions though - will the current qualifications I have be enough to get into the fire service, or would it be better if I got a degree? I am aware that every fire service in the country says you don’t NEED a degree, but would having one seriously improve my chances of getting in, or would it just be a waste of money and 3 years of my life?

Also - how fit do you have to be? Like, do you have to be super fit or is there only a reasonable level of fitness required. Because don’t get me wrong I’m willing to change my body completely and become the rock Johnson if needed, I’d just rather not as I want to join the fire service soon and not in years time when I’ve finished my bodybuilding training.

Any current/previous firefighter or just anyone who knows about the fire service - I’d really appreciate your answers! Thank you 👍
Hi there. Entry qualifications are set by each fire and rescue service, but generally the requirement is for 5 GCSEs, including maths, english and a science. Therefore there is no requirement for a degree. The qualifications will get you through that element of the shortlisting. With regards fitness levels, the expectation is that you are reasonably fit rather than super fit! Have a look at the following site which explains what fitness tests are carried out. Some fire services run 'have a go days' ahead of their recruitment campaigns so that you can assess your own standards before applying. Otherwise many of the tests can be conducted in a standard gym. https://www.fireservice.co.uk/recruitment/physical/# You will also need to complete the Chester Treadmill Test (google it for information). Good luck with the application.
Last edited by JohnB1; 3 weeks ago
tinyperson
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads