Markussssss
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Any interior design or architecture students… which laptop did you buy for uni? The specs show that I may need a gaming laptop.
normaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
My son did buy a gaming laptop (ASUS TUF F15 i7 16GB RTX3070) before starting his course this year, but he does use it for gaming. His uni (Lancaster) gave all new starters a tablet with architecture software installed, so he has not yet used his laptop for his course. At some uni open days we attended, I recall that we were told that high-spec laptops wouldn't be needed as students would be able to use the department's resources. I am assuming you will start your course in 2022? I would recommend that you wait until you join and see what is required for your course and what is available in-house.

Here are some thoughts on laptops taken from the Oxford Brookes architecture equipment list:

"The hardware landscape changes almost daily so it is impossible to give a definitive specification for future hardware
purchases but here is some general advice when specifying a computer to run the software we currently use in the
school and that will remain useful for several years:
You should specify at least 16Gb of RAM, the computer's working memory. It is possible to get away with 8Gb in a
laptop, but you will feel the difference when working with large images or 3D models. In laptops you are often stuck with
what you originally specified but on a desktop PC it is usually very easy and cheap to upgrade your RAM at a later date.
The processor on most modern laptops is able to run the majority of software you will encounter in an architecture
course - Intel and AMD make excellent processors and anything from the last few generations is likely to be just fine
(intel i7 or greater and AMD Ryzen) With processors, the most expensive is usually only 20% faster than the midrange
so try to find a balance between all out power and price.
The graphics card is probably the most important element when it comes to architectural software - it can speed up the
Adobe Suite, and you can use it to render animation and images from 3D software. Avoid laptops with "integrated"
graphics - this means the graphics are part of the main processor and use system RAM. This sharing of resources is fine
for browsing the web or editing a word doc, but not ideal for resource consuming applications like 3D.
The landscape shifts constantly, and much like processors the most expensive option is generally only 20% more
powerful than the median, so do a little research to decide what suits your budget best. Any discreet (the opposite of
integrated in graphics card speak) will be just fine for 3D modelling; extra power means you'll get smoother movement
when you are editing 3D models. Nvidia and AMD make competitive graphics models included in laptops or desktops.
Bear in mind you can upgrade a graphics card in a desktop easily - it's almost always impossible to upgrade the GPU
(another name for the graphics card) in a laptop."
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
32%
Take a gap year (6)
24%
Resit my exams (6)
24%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12%
I don't know yet (1)
4%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4%

Watched Threads