The Student Room Group

MSc Child Nursing- No prior medical knowledge.

For the Msc nursing programme I can see that many universities accept students from a range of different undergrad degrees. I am currently studying social work which is listed as health/ social science as it focussed heavily on patient care and meeting their needs however I am looking to do a Masters in Child nursing once I graduate. I took Biology at National 5 level and the universities typically require a C which I have. Will the masters course teach the foundations of biology or is this an area that I will work to build up independently?

For someone will limited knowledge of human biology is it best to apply to the BSc Course so I can learn the basics or will this also be covered in the MSc.
Biology isn't likely to be heavily covered in the child nursing MsC
I don't see this hindering your ability as a nurse though - they will teach the things you need to know, basic anatomy, basic biology etc.
I know someone who done a masters course in nursing who had an undergrad degree in Law! (no idea how she ever managed to get onto the course - she had no idea how to communicate with the patients)
But with you having a degree in social work i'd imagine you're more than capable of doing your nursing masters!
I have a place on a MSc nursing precreg course and my degree had nothing to do with health or science but I do have a lot of healthcare experience - if it’s graduate entry nursing it’s more about being able to study at this level combined with experience in care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending