The Student Room Group

Part of the non-specific immune response involves the inflammatory response. Detail t

Part of the non-specific immune response involves the inflammatory response. Describe the cardiovascular disease event that also involves an inflammatory response??
(edited 2 years ago)
'detail'? Do you mean describe? Or explain?
Original post by agnos987

It's usually describe with some explanation, in my experience :smile:

I think the question is saying describe
what sort of things do i need to include
Original post by CatInTheCorner
It's usually describe with some explanation, in my experience :smile:

What do I describe?
Inflammatory response
Cardiovascular disease
Blood clotting process ?
Well I think you'd explain the atherosclerosis process right??? Like inflammatory response, plaque formation, narrowing of artery.
Well I think you'd explain the atherosclerosis process right??? Like inflammatory response, plaque formation, narrowing of artery.

I was going to write about the blood clotting cascade but then i was confused when it was saying things about cardiovascular disease
Original post by zuzannasendor18
I was going to write about the blood clotting cascade but then i was confused when it was saying things about cardiovascular disease

yeah the process of atherosclerosis is caused by damage to the endothelium, causing an inflammatory response and results in the narrowing of the artery. Narrowing of artery = high blood pressure as not much blood is able to pass through a small artery meaning the heart needs to pump more blood. This results in damage to endothelium - the process repeats due to negative feedback. Over time, this process repeating will lead to cardiovascular disease.

There are a few stages in atherosclerosis but I don't quite remember them so you'll have to look them up but I hope you got the general idea. How much detail you write your answer in depends on how many marks the question is worth.
yeah the process of atherosclerosis is caused by damage to the endothelium, causing an inflammatory response and results in the narrowing of the artery. Narrowing of artery = high blood pressure as not much blood is able to pass through a small artery meaning the heart needs to pump more blood. This results in damage to endothelium - the process repeats due to negative feedback. Over time, this process repeating will lead to cardiovascular disease.

There are a few stages in atherosclerosis but I don't quite remember them so you'll have to look them up but I hope you got the general idea. How much detail you write your answer in depends on how many marks the question is worth.

ooh that process
I was going to put this:
Blood vessel becomes damaged and collagen fibres get exposed
Platelets which are activated releaseThromboplastin
Thromboplastin + calcium combine to form Thrombin.
Thrombin turns fibrinogen into fibrin
Fibrin forms a mesh to trap red + white blood cells.
Forms a blood clot
ooh that process
I was going to put this:
Blood vessel becomes damaged and collagen fibres get exposed
Platelets which are activated releaseThromboplastin
Thromboplastin + calcium combine to form Thrombin.
Thrombin turns fibrinogen into fibrin
Fibrin forms a mesh to trap red + white blood cells.
Forms a blood clot

mmm I don't think that really explains how atherosclerosis is formed though.
mmm I don't think that really explains how atherosclerosis is formed though.

I asked someone in my class and they said to do the blood clotting cascade and i was so confused because that process doesnt have the inflammatry response
I asked someone in my class and they said to do the blood clotting cascade and i was so confused because that process doesnt have the inflammatry response

yeah I'm confused too lol. Have you asked your teacher? When is the question due?
yeah I'm confused too lol. Have you asked your teacher? When is the question due?

Its due tomorrow
I think u are right because the blood clotting cascade doesn't have the inflammatory response
Its due tomorrow
I think u are right because the blood clotting cascade doesn't have the inflammatory response

yeah and if it's not the atherosclerosis process then I'm sorry.
But hopefully it's right
yeah and if it's not the atherosclerosis process then I'm sorry.
But hopefully it's right

Small help: White blood cells called phagocytes are involved in the non-specific immune response. Explain these white blood cells are able to identify pathogenic cells

I put this: pathogenic cells will have non-self antigens on their cell surface membrane (so they have antigens that the body will recognise as not meant to be there). idk if this is correct or if i need to add anything further
Small help: White blood cells called phagocytes are involved in the non-specific immune response. Explain these white blood cells are able to identify pathogenic cells

I put this: pathogenic cells will have non-self antigens on their cell surface membrane (so they have antigens that the body will recognise as not meant to be there). idk if this is correct or if i need to add anything further

Ah I sent you a message about that :h:

This is sort of half-right. You're right to mention the concept of 'non-self' (which is essentially how the immune system works), but you could perhaps be more specific and talk about PAMPS and how TLRs and PRRs on immune cells such as macrophages recognize these patterns and trigger several cascades. Have you done Opsonisation and the Complement system? If you have, it would be good to mention these too :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
This is sort of half-right. You're right to mention the concept of 'non-self' (which is essentially how the immune system works), but you could perhaps be more specific and talk about PAMPS and how TLRs and PRRs on immune cells such as macrophages recognize these patterns and trigger several cascades. Have you done Opsonisation and the Complement system? If you have, it would be good to mention these too :smile:

We haven't been taught about PAMPS , TLR, PRR
This is like preparatory work so we get a slight understanding if what we are learning next lesson
We haven't been taught about PAMPS , TLR, PRR
This is like preparatory work so we get a slight understanding if what we are learning next lesson

That's fine then - you'll come across it in due course :smile:
Original post by Reality Check
That's fine then - you'll come across it in due course :smile:

tyy :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest