Pashtunmonster
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I want to get onto medicine but am unsure of how much work experience that I really need to get in like in my personal statement and stuff.I’ve managed to get a weeeks experience at a GP and am wondering if I should do some more somewhere else? Thanks
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
It's not about the quantity of work experience, reflecting on it is more important
PAR2MED
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
There is a thread for this, however the best way to think about work experience is not "I want to be a doctor, so I need to get work experience so I can get a place"
Instead, think of it as "I think I want to be a doctor, but it's a bit commitment so I'll get some relevant health experience to make sure that's really what I want to do." The amount of work experience you have should be ideally, at a minimum, enough that you can reflect on what you've experienced and say "yes, I do want to be a doctor" (or vice versa).

The only university that I know off the top of my head that specifies a certain number of hours of experience is Warwick, and that's graduate entry only.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (3)
7.69%
Okay (15)
38.46%
A bit lacking (11)
28.21%
Not good at all (10)
25.64%

Watched Threads