Ellalouise788
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi! I’m currently in year 13 and am planning to apply for medicine at Oxford next year (my gap year). I didn’t do brilliantly in my GCSEs compared to the Oxford average - 999988877 but am predicted 42 - 44 out of 45 points in the IB and am not from a very high achieving secondary school. Would they still consider me for applications because of my high predicted grades or immediately reject me as I didn’t get many 8/9s at GCSE?Thank you 😊
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ellalouise788)
Hi! I’m currently in year 13 and am planning to apply for medicine at Oxford next year (my gap year). I didn’t do brilliantly in my GCSEs compared to the Oxford average - 999988877 but am predicted 42 - 44 out of 45 points in the IB and am not from a very high achieving secondary school. Would they still consider me for applications because of my high predicted grades or immediately reject me as I didn’t get many 8/9s at GCSE?Thank you 😊
Moved your post to the medicine forum.

I would advise against applying to Oxford as it is one of the most GCSE heavy med school and the mean average number of A*s an average applicant had last year was 10.7 A*s.

If you were thinking of applying to Oxford just for the prestige then I would also strongly advise against applying there as prestige and ranking do not matter for medicine what so ever. It is much better to apply strategically and have a better chance of getting an offer than wasting a choice.
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
The "prestige" of your medical school does not matter. It's better to apply strategically to medcial schools. You need an average of 10.7 A*'s at GCSE to get interviewed at Oxford so it is very risky.
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Reject due to not enough Grade 8 / 9s.

In addition to what SyedN has rightly said above, there is a specific thread for "Am I good enough for Medicine" and also a thread for you to post and ask "Which med school should I apply to".
Ellalouise788
Rep:
Thank you for the replies and changing forums I haven’t done this before.
I thought that might be the case about GCSEs after looking at the stats which is a shame. Would performing well in the BMAT balance it out at all?
It’s less any prestige of applying to oxford than the college system and course that appeal to me as well as some of my family/ friends coming from oxford (that’s why I was considering oxford over Cambridge) but I agree that it would be better for me to apply to places I have a better chance of getting into, it would have been an ambitious application
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
...Would performing well in the BMAT balance it out at all?
No.

It’s less any prestige of applying to oxford than the college system and course that appeal to me as well as some of my family/ friends coming from oxford (that’s why I was considering oxford over Cambridge) but I agree that it would be better for me to apply to places I have a better chance of getting into, it would have been an ambitious application
In the world of medical admissions, ambitious = waste of a valuable, valuable choice.
lunariumxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
oxford are too gcse heavy
appeal to me as well as some of my family/ friends coming from oxford (that’s why I was considering oxford over Cambridge)
this is not nepotism :/ if you really just care about prestigness its a really unhealthy mindset you can go ahead and apply to wherever you want but its better to be realistic then to go through rejection ......
Ellalouise788
Rep:
(Original post by lunariumxo)
oxford are too gcse heavy

this is not nepotism :/ if you really just care about prestigness its a really unhealthy mindset you can go ahead and apply to wherever you want but its better to be realistic then to go through rejection ......
I agree it’s important to be realistic that’s why I’m doing research into whether or not I would realistically be able to get in and looking into medical schools around the country.
I’m not sure what you mean here though as I explained previously about what appeals to me at the uni, also I never said my family went to oxford uni so I wouldn’t say it’s nepotism. My grandparents live in Oxford but have no links with the university I’ve just spent more time in oxford city than Cambridge and like the idea of being closer to them
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree it’s important to be realistic that’s why I’m doing research into whether or not I would realistically be able to get in and looking into medical schools around the country.
I’m not sure what you mean here though as I explained previously about what appeals to me at the uni, also I never said my family went to oxford uni so I wouldn’t say it’s nepotism. My grandparents live in Oxford but have no links with the university I’ve just spent more time in oxford city than Cambridge and like the idea of being closer to them
It's unlikely between your own social life and the course you would spend much time seeing your grandparents anyway. It might be easier to justify that if you weren't living in the same city, too.

In any case as above, Oxford isn't a realistic option so you should focus on other medical schools which you can make a much stronger application to (which may include other collegiate universities e.g. Cambridge, St Andrews, York etc). Your GCSEs are very good, I would note, but Oxford medicine as above really requires extraordinary GCSE performance because of how oversubscribed it is and the fact it's one of the only two factors they consider pre-interview.
Ellalouise788
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
It's unlikely between your own social life and the course you would spend much time seeing your grandparents anyway. It might be easier to justify that if you weren't living in the same city, too.

In any case as above, Oxford isn't a realistic option so you should focus on other medical schools which you can make a much stronger application to (which may include other collegiate universities e.g. Cambridge, St Andrews, York etc). Your GCSEs are very good, I would note, but Oxford medicine as above really requires extraordinary GCSE performance because of how oversubscribed it is and the fact it's one of the only two factors they consider pre-interview.
Thank you, I agree with you that it would be better for me to apply to other universities which I have a better chance of getting into, that’s also true about being busy it would be unlikely that I’d see much of my grandparents.
I don’t live in Oxford, I’m from Devon and have only spent time in the city during holidays etc to see my grandparents, but I understand what you mean
Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Ellalouise788; 2 weeks ago
kk15405
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you, I agree with you that it would be better for me to apply to other universities which I have a better chance of getting into, that’s also true about being busy it would be unlikely that I’d see much of my grandparents.
I don’t live in Oxford, I’m from Devon and have only spent time in the city during holidays etc to see my grandparents, but I understand what you mean
Thanks for the help!
If you really are bothered about prestige, you still may have a shot at Cambridge. They too look at GCSEs however aren't as obsessed with them as Oxford have, and I'm pretty sure they look at them in context with your school performance. If your school isn't doing great and you are getting these grades then it's looking good on you. I don't know about IB but I'm pretty sure Cambridge has higher entry requirements compared to Oxford for medicine for A Levels, could be a similar case for IB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (4)
8.33%
Okay (17)
35.42%
A bit lacking (14)
29.17%
Not good at all (13)
27.08%

Watched Threads