The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

is Nottingham racist/& islamophobic?

Hi, I'm looking to pursue animal science and I've got my eyes on the University of Nottingham. However, after researching more about it, I realised that there are more articles on racist/Islamophobic attacks in Nottingham vs other cities that I looked into. Furthermore, a few blogs stated that racism is prominent in Nottinghamshire which is where the Sutton Bonington campus is located. As a minority, I'm starting to feel worried about these 'hearsay's/reputations. Could someone help me out to clarify this issue, please? Thank you. It would be great if I could get some insights especially on the Sutton Bonington campus.
I'm a Muslim Person of Colour who studied at the SB campus whilst at UoN. I was also a student activist who campaigned against racism and islamophobia whilst there.

UoN is a horrible place to be a Muslim PoC, and racism and islamophobia is rife within all levels of the institution, including the Students Union (which is there to represent you as a student). I think things have improved a little since I graduated in 2019, but I was heavily harassed and victimised by this uni whilst I was campaigning there, and they were very good at covering up scandals. The SB campus is remote and you I did find some white British students who would stare at me on campus (I wear hijab) but there are lots of Malaysian students at SB who are predominantly Muslim. But no real nightmare experiences with SB campus in particular. UoN is a very white, rich, tory uni with its students representing this demographic so yeah, overall I found being a student at UoN traumatising and exhausting. The academic staff in Biosciences are mostly lovely though, and I did really enjoy my course! Just be prepared for what the students and management are like
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Hi im a current student there and so far so good! i think that theres quite a lot of muslim presence,the staff are considerate and the islamic societ is very active so nice to be there =)
I think in general there will be racist people in every UK university, albeit just a small minority in some of them

Just a sad reality to accept as an international (not only Muslims, also East Asians and others)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending