Thinking that I made a mistake

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Now its been two weeks since I last posted on here and so far during my time at university has been nothing but made me hate myself and depressed more as well as shy and less confident. This time last year I was looking to apply for courses at university . The few ones which I wanted to study were cybersecurity and AI and Robotics. Both of these degrees which I have heard from people to be quite new and hard.

At the time I thought if I was fortunate enough to get into university I would be able to do one of these degrees. Fast forward to the day where I had to make my decision on what university I wanted to attend it came down to my insurance and firm. I was fortunate enough to get accepted into both universities. But mainly my family persuaded me to stay local rather than go out to Manchester. Which I would have loved to go out to as it would have been an experience. So far during my time at uni I don't enjoy any aspect of.

Throughout the summer , I was really happy because after being at college . I was finally free to move onto a new place . At college the only thing that kept me motivated were my tutors who had helped me so , so much through my time there . So far during my time at uni I have been able to speak to the lecturers and they are all so nice and helpful as well as signing up to mental health services to ensure that I can remain okay . But as much as I attend the mental health sessions . I have to try and focus to work on the tasks which I have been assigned but honestly when doing work with the degree I suddenly feel this detest for what I am studying. Also it doesn't help that I cant really talk much about this in person but have to share it verbally online . Sorry for sharing to much information . Hope if anyone reads this has a good day and is good
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 weeks ago
You need to speak to your academic advisor (not the lecturers) and get a perspective on what your options are. It's not really sustainable when you have some mental health stuff going on to stick at a degree you really hate. It sounds as though you like the staff but dislike pretty much every other aspect of the degree - is this a fair assessment of the situation? Are there perhaps other things happening affecting your judgement of the course, i.e. are you struggling and this frustration is bleeding through elsewhere?

Speak to your academic advisor as a priority, and tell them what you have told us. See what they think.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by gjd800)
You need to speak to your academic advisor (not the lecturers) and get a perspective on what your options are. It's not really sustainable when you have some mental health stuff going on to stick at a degree you really hate. It sounds as though you like the staff but dislike pretty much every other aspect of the degree - is this a fair assessment of the situation? Are there perhaps other things happening affecting your judgement of the course, i.e. are you struggling and this frustration is bleeding through elsewhere?

Speak to your academic advisor as a priority, and tell them what you have told us. See what they think.
I appreciate this advice. I think it is also due to the year that I have had . Such as working hard enough to get into university . Also I think its also how tired I feel constantly.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I appreciate this advice. I think it is also due to the year that I have had . Such as working hard enough to get into university . Also I think its also how tired I feel constantly.
This is totally understandable. Part of my current job involves trying to help students through similar issues and I think if you get in touch with your advisor, they might well be able to point you in the direction to get a bit of help.

If after that you still feel the same then maybe it'd be right for you to think about withdrawing or changing course. That's a little way off- give yourself a fighting chance
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Sorry to hear your going through this, what uni are you going to ? I’m in my second year of uni and can’t say I’ve had the best experience unfortunately it’s just not been what I expected I guess. How have things been going like your accommodation ? Do you enjoy where your living and have you made friends on your course and in your accommodation ?. I can’t explain to you how much I relate about the college bit, I had a pretty rubbish time in my second year of college but got through it because of my teacher.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sorry to hear your going through this, what uni are you going to ? I’m in my second year of uni and can’t say I’ve had the best experience unfortunately it’s just not been what I expected I guess. How have things been going like your accommodation ? Do you enjoy where your living and have you made friends on your course and in your accommodation ?. I can’t explain to you how much I relate about the college bit, I had a pretty rubbish time in my second year of college but got through it because of my teacher.
The univerisity I go to is Wolverhampton University. Currently have no friends at university. I live at home due to how close I am to the university
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you find most difficult about revising?

Prioritising what to revise (24)
10.21%
Remembering what was covered in lessons (7)
2.98%
Finding the time to revise (15)
6.38%
Finding the motivation (65)
27.66%
Getting distracted (43)
18.3%
Procrastination (79)
33.62%
Having the tools you need (1)
0.43%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.43%

Watched Threads