The Student Room Group

A level choices??

Hi everyone

So I'm thinking about my a level choices but I'm still thinking about what I want to do. We have to take 4 at my school and then we're allowed to drop 1 at Year 13.

The subjects i've decided are:

Maths
Product design
A science (my favourite one rn is chemistry)

I know physics goes well with product design, but I'm not too fond of taking physics for a level.

Does anyone know what i could take as my 3rd and 4th option because I'm actually quite confused on what I could take?

The full list of subjects available is:

Art

Classical Civilisation

Product Design

Economics

English Literature

Geography

Government & Politics

History

Latin

Mathematics

Further Mathematics

Modern Foreign Languages: French, German & Spanish

Music

Biology

Chemistry

Physics
Reply 1
It might be useful to know what you're predicted in your GCSEs (and which ones you enjoy), and any thoughts you have on what you want to do after A levels, but I'll comment on what you've said so far:

For starters, are there any of these that you definitely won't enjoy/be good at? If so, cross them off the list. Based on the options you've said, I'm guessing you're not looking for something essay based, which would cross off a lot of these options.

It seems like you've basically decided your third option, chemistry. You don't want to do physics, so biology is the only other science option (unless you count geography).
For your 4th option, you don't necessarily need to be so invested in it, as you can drop it in a year. So, you could try physics and then drop it if you don't like it. Or, if you're not interested in physics to go with product design, then maybe art? I'm sure that would complement the more creative aspects.
Original post by Zuvio
It might be useful to know what you're predicted in your GCSEs (and which ones you enjoy), and any thoughts you have on what you want to do after A levels, but I'll comment on what you've said so far:

For starters, are there any of these that you definitely won't enjoy/be good at? If so, cross them off the list. Based on the options you've said, I'm guessing you're not looking for something essay based, which would cross off a lot of these options.

It seems like you've basically decided your third option, chemistry. You don't want to do physics, so biology is the only other science option (unless you count geography).
For your 4th option, you don't necessarily need to be so invested in it, as you can drop it in a year. So, you could try physics and then drop it if you don't like it. Or, if you're not interested in physics to go with product design, then maybe art? I'm sure that would complement the more creative aspects.

That seems like a good plan. I have an idea of a STEM based job, which is why u went for maths, dt and a science. I'm not too fond of essay subjects like you said. I was thinking of art, but I think it might be difficult due to my gcse choices If its any help, my gcse choices are:

Compulsory:

English language
English literature
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics

Chosen:

French
Design Technology
Computing
Geography
Drama

Design technology is my favourite subject so I've decided to take it for a level
I also really like maths, so I've decided to take it
I want to take a science, because of the opportunities it gives you for stem jobs and I might want to take another one.

Thanks for the help because that seems like a good plan.
:smile:)
If you do any science at A level then do Maths as well as most science degrees want two STEM A levels.
One science on its own isnt much use.
Original post by McGinger
If you do any science at A level then do Maths as well as most science degrees want two STEM A levels.

Hi there
Thanks for your advice on STEM degrees because that is the field is definitely want to go into. I think I will go with the plan of maths, dt, chemistry and physics because it seems like a good one, and maybe I'll like A level physics. I've heard that a levels are more knowledge based than memory and definition based, which is a lot better for me. I can understand concepts really well, but remembering the key words can let me down sometimes, which is why I'm not too fond of gcse biology, due to the heavy emphasis on key words and definitions.

I'm defo taking maths because it's my second favourite subject after dt. I just love how logical it is, while dt gives me my creative outlet. 2 Sciences seems like a good fit because I'm not too fond of gcse physics but it's definetly better than a lot of other subjects that my school offers, so I'm not too mad about it
Original post by McGinger

Original post by Zuvio

Thanks again for the advice from both of you guys. It really helped and i have a lot more clarity now about a levels. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest