Can I build muscles as a female on 1500 cal per day

Watch
ROSA335
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have started a new programme to build glutes, legs and abs. I have been consistent with this for 4 weeks and see no difference in the before and afters despite more reps and heavier weights each week.

I’m thinking maybe it’s cause I’m not eating enough? I track what I eat and always try have at least 80-110g of protein each day but for my calories I get full really quickly and I’m eating on average 1500-1700 cal per day ( sometimes less)

I’m 21, female, 5’3 and 8st 3. Could anyone provide any advice? I want to build muscle as quickly as possible.
Kyri
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
4 weeks is a very short time for muscle building. You may have seen some "before and after" photos of people transforming in 4 weeks but I promise you these are misleading. What people often do is stand in less flattering lighting and angles, and don't flex hard in the before picture, then flex hard in more flattering conditions in the after picture. Either that or they're not really 4 weeks apart. Many men spend years in the gym trying to build muscle and still don't look that big (granted, some of them don't train properly), and being female you'll build muscle even slower. Even if you took drugs (don't take drugs) 4 weeks is a short time to see a big difference.

What's good to read from your post is that you're adding reps and weight to your lifts each week. This is exactly what you should be doing and is indicative that you are building muscle. If you do start to plateau in your lifts, and everyone does at some point, you can add another 200 - 300 calories per day, but I don't suggest jumping up to something silly like 3000 calories per day as that will just add unnecessary fat.

Basically, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. You just need to readjust your expectation of how fast muscle can be built by a natural female lifter.
ROSA335
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kyri)
4 weeks is a very short time for muscle building. You may have seen some "before and after" photos of people transforming in 4 weeks but I promise you these are misleading. What people often do is stand in less flattering lighting and angles, and don't flex hard in the before picture, then flex hard in more flattering conditions in the after picture. Either that or they're not really 4 weeks apart. Many men spend years in the gym trying to build muscle and still don't look that big (granted, some of them don't train properly), and being female you'll build muscle even slower. Even if you took drugs (don't take drugs) 4 weeks is a short time to see a big difference.

What's good to read from your post is that you're adding reps and weight to your lifts each week. This is exactly what you should be doing and is indicative that you are building muscle. If you do start to plateau in your lifts, and everyone does at some point, you can add another 200 - 300 calories per day, but I don't suggest jumping up to something silly like 3000 calories per day as that will just add unnecessary fat.

Basically, it sounds like you're doing the right thing. You just need to readjust your expectation of how fast muscle can be built by a natural female lifter.
Thankyou! It’s just my online PT has asked for my 4 week after pic as if I should have seen big changes in this time ( I wasn’t planning on doing a after pic until at least 8 weeks) but he asked to see one now but I did think it was a little too early

Thanks for replying so helpful
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
You can, but depends on how heavy you are now tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.35%
Okay (40)
28.78%
A bit lacking (49)
35.25%
Not good at all (37)
26.62%

Watched Threads