The Student Room Group

Anki-Flashcards or Normal flaschards????

I want to use Flashcards for memorising topics in Economics and Computer Science (only paper 1 theory which has a lot of content). I don't know which one would be more useful. I know writing it on flashcards helps you remember it more, but the information I write on them are things I've already noted down in my book.
Original post by themostconfused1
I want to use Flashcards for memorising topics in Economics and Computer Science (only paper 1 theory which has a lot of content). I don't know which one would be more useful. I know writing it on flashcards helps you remember it more, but the information I write on them are things I've already noted down in my book.

imo, if you want to make your flashcards, do paper ones because you're writing it down so its better to consolidate your knowledge.
But people have made Anki cards so just use pre-made ones for other stuff.

Personally, I'm quite biased to Anki flashcards - they're really good for long term memory consolidation because of the active recall with spaced repetition which are the kings of recall. You can also make them a lot faster than manually writing them out and it's really easy to add pictures etc. I used them for my A-Levels and it worked great
Original post by Clintt15
Personally, I'm quite biased to Anki flashcards - they're really good for long term memory consolidation because of the active recall with spaced repetition which are the kings of recall. You can also make them a lot faster than manually writing them out and it's really easy to add pictures etc. I used them for my A-Levels and it worked great

O, what did you get in your A-Levels and what subjects did you do? I might start using Anki cards.
Reply 4

Personally, I don't really understand why people think "writing things down" helps to remember it more - personally, the thing that helps me remember it more is simply by repeating the same thing over and over again, and this has been proven to work exceptionally well, which is the point of flashcards.
I don't study Economics however I know that there are quite a few graphs involved which might be hard to use with Anki Flashcards, and for some areas of computer science too (I am taking Maths and computer science) and I make some of the math/programming based stuff on paper but I would say get as much done as you can on Anki. It's way more efficient than writing by hand since typing is quicker, you can add your own pictures, it's very versatile and it has its own algorithm to make studying cards itself even more efficient; you want to be able to finish making all of your flashcards as soon as possible so you actually have time to revise them.
I know you can download some flashcards from anki that are already made, but I think making them yourself is more personalised to you, and there may be the issue of having a different exam board, an older exam board, and there is the risk that there is some content that is missed, which seems to be mostly the case. The quality flashcards from students who constantly score top grades tend to sell their flashcards for money, and that is up to you if you think it's worth taking that risk.
Original post by JA03
O, what did you get in your A-Levels and what subjects did you do? I might start using Anki cards.

A*A*AB History EPQ Biology Chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest