Is there such a thing as 'respected' a levels?

Watch
EH34
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is there any such thing as 'respected' a levels? I think there is a general, shared confusion among a level students where they seem to think that some a levels are somehow better or more respected than others. All a levels are held in the same regard and if some a levels were less 'respected' then sixth form colleges wouldn't waste time offering those subjects in the first place. What do people think on this matter?
CatInTheCorner
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EH34)
Is there any such thing as 'respected' a levels? I think there is a general, shared confusion among a level students where they seem to think that some a levels are somehow better or more respected than others. All a levels are held in the same regard and if some a levels were less 'respected' then sixth form colleges wouldn't waste time offering those subjects in the first place. What do people think on this matter?
Some a-levels, such as critical thinking, aren't accepted by some unis for some courses. I've never respected one A-level more than the other though, if it works for what you want to do at uni, then it's perfectly respectable since it works for you!
booklover1313
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EH34)
There are A levels that are classed as facilitating, and those that are harder. So for example, Further Maths or Physics would be more facilitating and respected than Sociology. But that's irrelevant if you are applying to sociology, in which case, Sociology would be valued. Lots of it is down to prejudice.
tputnam
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EH34)
As already suggested, it depends what you want to do (with them), so may be more 'valuable' but not 'respected'. People will obviously have their own opinions towards subjects but you have to do what suits you best
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EH34)
We've been round this ad infinitum, and this should be in educational debate (Sinnoh - could you move it for me )

TSR isn't a good place to examine this really, because its inhabitants have some very fixed ideas about 'soft' and 'non-soft' A levels etc etc. In the real world, all this crap tends to fall away.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Respected by whom? I'm surprised we haven't had more in this thread so far to show that respect is a subjective thing.

I think it's important to emphasise that 'facilitating' means 'required for admission to a number of university courses' rather than 'difficult'. And the reason why they're required is because they ensure students have essential prior knowledge before starting the degree course, rather than to prove students' mettle against 'the hardest A-levels' or somesuch.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
This is a duplicate of the OP's thread here.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
This is a duplicate of the OP's thread here.
So it's not just déjà vu then? :facepalm:
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
So it's not just déjà vu then? :facepalm:
No, it's just seems that the topic gets discussed ad infinitum
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (12)
8.82%
Okay (40)
29.41%
A bit lacking (48)
35.29%
Not good at all (36)
26.47%

Watched Threads