The Student Room Group

Is there such a thing as 'respected' a levels?

Is there any such thing as 'respected' a levels? I think there is a general, shared confusion among a level students where they seem to think that some a levels are somehow better or more respected than others. All a levels are held in the same regard and if some a levels were less 'respected' then sixth form colleges wouldn't waste time offering those subjects in the first place. What do people think on this matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EH34
Is there any such thing as 'respected' a levels? I think there is a general, shared confusion among a level students where they seem to think that some a levels are somehow better or more respected than others. All a levels are held in the same regard and if some a levels were less 'respected' then sixth form colleges wouldn't waste time offering those subjects in the first place. What do people think on this matter?

Some a-levels, such as critical thinking, aren't accepted by some unis for some courses. I've never respected one A-level more than the other though, if it works for what you want to do at uni, then it's perfectly respectable since it works for you!
Original post by EH34

There are A levels that are classed as facilitating, and those that are harder. So for example, Further Maths or Physics would be more facilitating and respected than Sociology. But that's irrelevant if you are applying to sociology, in which case, Sociology would be valued. Lots of it is down to prejudice.
Reply 3
Original post by EH34

As already suggested, it depends what you want to do (with them), so may be more 'valuable' but not 'respected'. People will obviously have their own opinions towards subjects but you have to do what suits you best
Original post by EH34

We've been round this ad infinitum, and this should be in educational debate (@Sinnoh - could you move it for me :smile: )

TSR isn't a good place to examine this really, because its inhabitants have some very fixed ideas about 'soft' and 'non-soft' A levels etc etc. In the real world, all this crap tends to fall away.
Respected by whom? I'm surprised we haven't had more in this thread so far to show that respect is a subjective thing.

I think it's important to emphasise that 'facilitating' means 'required for admission to a number of university courses' rather than 'difficult'. And the reason why they're required is because they ensure students have essential prior knowledge before starting the degree course, rather than to prove students' mettle against 'the hardest A-levels' or somesuch.
This is a duplicate of the OP's thread here.
Original post by Admit-One
This is a duplicate of the OP's thread here.

So it's not just déjà vu then? :facepalm:
Original post by Saracen's Fez
So it's not just déjà vu then? :facepalm:

No, it's just seems that the topic gets discussed ad infinitum :smile:
Original post by EH34

I agree.
Certain subjects arent more respected than others.
Yes, some courses may require particular subjects at a-level (there are probably reasons for that) but quite a few do not specify particular a-levels.
Maybe further maths other than that don't know
Original post by booklover1313
There are A levels that are classed as facilitating, and those that are harder. So for example, Further Maths or Physics would be more facilitating and respected than Sociology. But that's irrelevant if you are applying to sociology, in which case, Sociology would be valued. Lots of it is down to prejudice.

These don't exist anymore, and no one really cares what subjects you did. No subject is more respected than another, as long as it gets you into university. I don't even write down my A Level subjects on my CV anymore, just my grades.
Reply 12
Original post by econhelp525
These don't exist anymore, and no one really cares what subjects you did. No subject is more respected than another, as long as it gets you into university. I don't even write down my A Level subjects on my CV anymore, just my grades.

I dont know, unis still expressly state they wont accept things like general studies and similar ones so theres a class of 'untouchable' subjects.

Plus, some jobs still demand you present your alevels and take note on if theyre 'micky mouse' ones like film etc.
Original post by Napp
I dont know, unis still expressly state they wont accept things like general studies and similar ones so theres a class of 'untouchable' subjects.

General Studies and Critical Thinking were both demised a couple of years ago. Quite right too as unis very rarely accepted them and that’s been the case for decades. I’ve joked with parents about it being the same when they went to uni.

Nowadays there really aren’t any subjects that are more or less respected by unis. Employers may see things differently but that’s pretty much the Wild West compared to HE admissions.
Reply 14
Original post by EH34

Original post by EH34

I think most ppl understand “respected” a level subjects to be the core ones, such as English maths, the sciences and possibly history. Most universities will have only those subjects as entry requirements for certain subjects. To put it into perspective, for most russel group universities, a level maths is required to study economics but not economics itself. So even if you’ve done maths at a level but you don’t know jack about economics, they will still let you do an economics degree. I think this is because the core subjects have the most transferable skills and are the least niche compared to any other a level subjects. Like if you wanna do finance? Maths is an entry requirement because you’ll be able to transfer the arithmetic and statistical ability. Or you wanna do sociology? English is an entry requirement because it ensures that you have the literary technique. There are other reasons too.

For one, every reputable school will offer the core subjects at a level. Not every school may offer sociology or economics though. Another thing is that the core a levels are comparatively way more intensive and frankly hard than most other a levels at least in my experience. So the idea is if you can keep up with the pace of the core ones at a level, you should be fine with progressing that knowledge at a similar pace in university.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Napp

Plus, some jobs still demand you present your alevels and take note on if theyre 'micky mouse' ones like film etc.

Those subjects are discontinued.

What employers demand to see what subjects you did? Every IB I've applied to only asked for what grades I got, not what I got them in.
Yes, as they should. FM and chemistry are far more difficult and intellectually challenging than photography, drama or psychology. Nonetheless I would say that there are a good number of subjects that are all of equal respect. It also depends on your course, but I doubt an employer would even look at your A-level subject mix.
Original post by Admit-One
General Studies and Critical Thinking were both demised a couple of years ago. Quite right too as unis very rarely accepted them and that’s been the case for decades. I’ve joked with parents about it being the same when they went to uni.

Exactly - General Studies has always been a bit of a joke, from what I remember and no universities accepted it. I'm amazed that it's still taught and examination boards offer it, given how essentially useless it is.
Original post by j25_8
I think most ppl understand “respected” a level subjects to be the core ones, such as English maths, the sciences and possibly history.

Where did you get this list from? Without any sort of source, or evidence, this is just anecdote, based on what you consider to be 'respected, "core" A levels'. It's also ludicrously narrow, even by TSR's standards. Is Latin not a 'respected A level'? What about other MFL like French or German? How about Geography? Is history 'possibly' respected as an A level, but geography not...

Another thing is that the core a levels are comparatively way more intensive and frankly hard than most other a levels at least in my experience. So the idea is if you can keep up with the pace of the core ones at a level, you should be fine with progressing that knowledge at a similar pace in university.

As you say in your post, your narrow list of 'core' A levels are 'harder in your experience'. This doesn't actually mean that they are.
Original post by CuriousO
Yes, as they should. FM and chemistry are far more difficult and intellectually challenging than photography, drama or psychology.

As above, says who? You?

This is just your prejudice against arts and what you consider '-ology' sciences against what you consider to be 'proper' sciences. It's TSR nonsense.

FYI, I've done NatSci at Cambridge followed by an MPhil and a PhD and I can tell you that I'd find photography or drama far more difficult than chemistry or FM.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending