The Student Room Group

My ADHD symptoms are ruining my life

im not far away from my GCSEs and im struggling more than ever with my life-long symptoms of ADHD. i was referred to a paediatrician for an ADHD assessment a while ago but she didnt listen to a word we said and decided that i obviously didnt have it and that my lifelong behavioural issues were a result of me being "confused about my gender" and me being slightly overweight at that point in time. she refused to take the assessment (if you could call it that) any further and said i was a case for camhs instead, despite knowing i had already been through camhs multiple times with no result.

we asked to see a different paediatrician, but were told she was "the only one". we know for a fact this isnt true because my cousin sees a completely different person, for the same reason, at the same place, but when we brought this up we were just brushed off. whenever we tried getting referred to someone else, we ended up back with her.

im getting desperate. this is ruining my life and if nothing changes, my future. im predicted failing grades in almost all of my subjects because im being ****ed over by my own brain. its been bad all my life, but its been getting so much worse through my teenage years. im sick of it. i know a lot of people who are in similar situations end up turning to drugs out of desperation, and i understand why.

paying for a private assessment isnt an option, and at this point my best bet is to wait it out until im old enough to be referred to the adult services. and who knows what could happen between then and now.
does anyone know if my doctor would be able to prescribe me ANYTHING that could help with this WITHOUT an official diagnosis? i know theres an ADHD medication they can prescribe to adults without a diagnosis, but ive never heard of it being done for teenagers. if not i have no idea what ill do.
Reply 1
bumping this thread because i start my mocks tomorrow morning and im absolutely bricking it. if literally Anyone has any insight then please let me know

Quick Reply

Latest