The Student Room Group

Official Thread: Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

where are you guys finding these HCA roles. My area does not really have anything of that sort suitable for students
Reply 181
Original post by knight999
Can someone offer an opinion on how 58 looks like for a gamsat score for this application cycle? I know last year scores dropped quite a bit but I have no clue whethher things will stay the same in terms of low cut offs!

Hi there, I would advise giving the gamsat and the ucat one more shot prior to applying. As you mentioned we can never predict cut offs, so always best to give yourself the best shot.
Hi guys,

Has anyone prepared for the UCAT and GAMSAT at the same time?

I am considering not getting a summer job just so I can dedicate my mornings to gamsat and afternoons to UCAT or vice versa. I have sat the UCAT before and scored a 2410, then sat the Gamsat and scored a 51. These are really low scores so I am thinking I might need a bit more time than the average sitter to nail both exams.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Hi!
I had prepared for both GAMSAT and UCAT at the same time and received multiple acceptances. It is definitely doable to prepare for both simultaneously. However, it comes down to what you need to give more of your attention to.
Given that the cutoff differs by every year and every uni, a solid 3 month preparation time is ideal provided you are familiar with the formats of both GAMSAT and UCAT. I highly recommed utilising all the resources on ACER website for GAMSAT. Do mutilple practice tests to make sure your prep is paying off. Getting a summer job is up to you. If you study better without any distractions then may be a good idea. If you study better with a regular packed routine then you may want to add a job to your summer.
Also, it is worth considering, do you need to give both exams? Some universities only take GAMSAT whereas others take UCAT. If you are more comfortable with one type of assessment you may want to narrow down your 4 choices to the ones that take your preferred test scores into consideration and then devote all your time to taht assessment?

Hope this helps and all the best with your prep!

Ruchika Yadav - Swansea Student Ambassador - 3rd year Graduate Entry Medicine
Hi,

How competitive would a GAMSAT score of 65 be? Should I sit it again?
Original post by 123abc123!
Hi,

How competitive would a GAMSAT score of 65 be? Should I sit it again?

That’s a great score and you’re likely to get all your interviews. No need to sit it again. Well done!
Original post by arobrusker
That’s a great score and you’re likely to get all your interviews. No need to sit it again. Well done!

That's great to hear! Do I provide predicted grades from my University as I'd be entering my final year? Not sure how the UCAS application works
Original post by 123abc123!
That's great to hear! Do I provide predicted grades from my University as I'd be entering my final year? Not sure how the UCAS application works

I’m afraid I’m not 100% sure because I applied after I’d already gotten my degree. Maybe someone else can help. I heard from someone that your reference has to provide them??
Original post by arobrusker
I’m afraid I’m not 100% sure because I applied after I’d already gotten my degree. Maybe someone else can help. I heard from someone that your reference has to provide them??

ah okay, thanks anyways!!
Hello , I am wondering what the best websites/ videos/ books are to prepare for the gamsat?
Hi, I've only been able to volunteer at a place where I help children and adults with disabilities, I've completed observe GP and I'm doing the BSMS virtual work experience. I've done some stuff at my uni but is this enough work experience or should I try to get more? And how would I go about getting more?
Original post by tammyazeez
Hi, I've only been able to volunteer at a place where I help children and adults with disabilities, I've completed observe GP and I'm doing the BSMS virtual work experience. I've done some stuff at my uni but is this enough work experience or should I try to get more? And how would I go about getting more?

I'd recommend contacting your local hospitals and applying for ALL work experience opportunities (preferably clinical) that they have.

I understand how difficult it can be to get these opportunities especially without knowing anyone working in the medical field however, the more you apply to, the greater your chances. Last year I applied to just over 20 and managed to get 3 different shadowing opportunities this year which is more than enough. The early you apply, the better.

You could even ask friends who's parents are doctors or even better, your professor's at Uni. I'm sure some will be willing to help.

Just remember it's not about how much experience you get, it's about what you learn and how you reflect on it.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 192
Hello,

Applying for 2024 GEM Med. Narrowed my choices down to Kings, Queen Mary’s & Warwick. I’m undecided on my final choice. It’s a toss up between Newcastle & Southampton. I did my undergraduate in Newcastle and it’s got a great social scene but I also fancy a change of scenery. I know the class size is also very small so I’m guessing slightly more competitive? Both seem very UCAT heavy. Not sure how I feel about Southampton as a city? Never been. Not heard great things but I hear the uni is good and the graduate medics really like it there. I also like how London is accessible though. I love London hence why Kings & QM are my top choices.

Would love to hear people’s thoughts?
Reply 193
@TSR George can this be a sticky thread? Seems a lot of people are creating a lot of GEM 2024 threads without noticing this one.
(edited 10 months ago)
(Original post by macaulay7)Hello,

Applying for 2024 GEM Med. Narrowed my choices down to Kings, Queen Mary’s & Warwick. I’m undecided on my final choice. It’s a toss up between Newcastle & Southampton. I did my undergraduate in Newcastle and it’s got a great social scene but I also fancy a change of scenery. I know the class size is also very small so I’m guessing slightly more competitive? Both seem very UCAT heavy. Not sure how I feel about Southampton as a city? Never been. Not heard great things but I hear the uni is good and the graduate medics really like it there. I also like how London is accessible though. I love London hence why Kings & QM are my top choices.

Would love to hear people’s thoughts?

What work experience have you done for Warwick grad med school? I am considering applying there too but they're very precise about the type of work experience and the hours so don't want to throw away a choice
Reply 195
Hi I’m applying for graduate entry medicine and the unis I’m going to apply for some of them accepts ucat and some accepts gamsat and I don’t know if I should do both ucat and gamsat or just apply to unis who accepts same admission test. Can someone please help me and also I don’t have a levels I did btec in applied science and currently I’m doing biomedical science as an undergraduate degree. Thanks :smile:
Reply 196
Original post by Khaanf806
Hi I’m applying for graduate entry medicine and the unis I’m going to apply for some of them accepts ucat and some accepts gamsat and I don’t know if I should do both ucat and gamsat or just apply to unis who accepts same admission test. Can someone please help me and also I don’t have a levels I did btec in applied science and currently I’m doing biomedical science as an undergraduate degree. Thanks :smile:

Well, only you can decide that. Check the entry requirements for the unis you're interested in to see if they require A Levels. Try out some of the questions from both tests and decide whether you feel like you can do both, or if you prefer one over the other and then pick your university choices accordingly.
Reply 197
Hi, I had a question regarding degree classifications. Do they check if it's a high 2.1 or a low 2.1?
Original post by gcsegcse
Hi, I had a question regarding degree classifications. Do they check if it's a high 2.1 or a low 2.1?

No. Your degree classification is only a hurdle unless you’re applying for Oxbridge or QMUL.
Reply 199
Original post by Khaanf806

As Jade mentioned above, only you can decide which Med Schools and programs to apply for. If you feel like you can sit two different exams then go for it.

Most of the GEM programs don’t look at your A-Levels, they just require you to have a degree. Some like Oxford & Cambridge do though. Again, look at the program requirements for each program you are interested in. The admissions website of the Uni you are looking at is your best source of info.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending