The Student Room Group

Police recruitment final interview

Hi there,
Today I found out I passed the OAC for the police. (applying for the PCDA constable and Investigate first entry programme). I have been told the next stage is the senior interview - though not sure when this takes place. does anyone, with experience of the recruitment process, knows what this interview entails? How does it differ to the online one? Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations!!
Original post by journeyaway
Congratulations!!

Thanks.
Good to know I got this far, but think biggest hurdle will be if they'll let me in because I'm on medication and have been for hte past year (albeit started to reduce). Also have depression diagnosis and mental health diffiuculties going back to when i was 14 (am 18 now). But personally, I don't think I'd find it a problem, I'm actually extremely resilient, given the difference between how low i was this time last year and how i am now. But its not up to me so
Being in the Police is a difficult job. Their staff are human and also face their fair share of challenges - including mental health ones. I'd say that as long as you're taking steps to manage it (and it sounds like you are, with medication and probably other strategies), it wouldn't impact on your application
Original post by journeyaway
Being in the Police is a difficult job. Their staff are human and also face their fair share of challenges - including mental health ones. I'd say that as long as you're taking steps to manage it (and it sounds like you are, with medication and probably other strategies), it wouldn't impact on your application

Yep, it’s very well managed and I think my own experience of mental health issues would make me a better officer .
HICongrats on passing the OAC!How long would you say it took for you to receive your results ?
Original post by Oodlesofnoodles1
HICongrats on passing the OAC!How long would you say it took for you to receive your results ?

Took about 2 weeks.
Have you done yours yet then?
I passed my senior interview stage and the seperate Investigate First OAC.
They've recofingured the scheme now, i just missed the deadline for the non degree holder so now got to do the PCDA style degree, but as a detective rather than a police officer. Submitted pre employment checks, hopefully hear soon but im told i might not start til like may or june, and i thought it'd be march or jan
Original post by Ferrograd
Took about 2 weeks.
Have you done yours yet then?
I passed my senior interview stage and the seperate Investigate First OAC.
They've recofingured the scheme now, i just missed the deadline for the non degree holder so now got to do the PCDA style degree, but as a detective rather than a police officer. Submitted pre employment checks, hopefully hear soon but im told i might not start til like may or june, and i thought it'd be march or jan

Thanks for your reply

So for me it’s the PCDA as a police constable, that’s the route that I’ve applied for as I don’t have a degree, with yours how comes it’s the detective route not the police constable ?

I’m not sure how mine works tbh .. as far as I know it’s the OAC, fitness test, vetting & pre employment checks so not sure how it works because on my portal there’s no mention of an interview who knows !

Also how was your fitness test and how soon after receiving your results for the OAC did you get your invitation to do the fitness test.

And yes I literally done my Online assessments and completed it yesterday ( competency based interview ) .. wasn’t as bad as I thought ( I hope)
Thanks for your reply

So for me it’s the PCDA as a police constable, that’s the route that I’ve applied for as I don’t have a degree, with yours how comes it’s the detective route not the police constable ?

I’m not sure how mine works tbh .. as far as I know it’s the OAC, fitness test, vetting & pre employment checks so not sure how it works because on my portal there’s no mention of an interview who knows !

Also how was your fitness test and how soon after receiving your results for the OAC did you get your invitation to do the fitness test.

And yes I literally done my Online assessments and completed it yesterday ( competency based interview ) .. wasn’t as bad as I thought ( I hope)

My force offered a fast track entry route (essex) which entailed doing 10 weeks in uniform and then joining CID. now it’s been moved over to a degree based format like the PCDA but with an emphasis on the detective side of things so I’ll be a detective rather than a PC. Kent police also do this.

I think the fitness test is one of the last stages they will do .

If you pass your OAC, you will then be invited for a senior interview usually with a PC and a PS etc. If you are successful in this then youll do your pre employment checks, vetting fitness etc. Medical is the last stage believe it or not which is frustrating for me because it’s quite possible I’ll fail it due to being on antidepressants.

What kind of stuff were they asking in your OAC. If you think you did okay you probably did.

the day after my senior interview (which took place online and probably Will for you too), they told me I passed and asked for my references which I gave them. Last time I heard the other day they still haven’t been checked but they have them. I also sent off a medical questionnaire I got asked to fill in at the start of the process ready to send off. You could ask your force about this, I did it early because it can take ages to get signed by your GP. You have to have it signed before they even do a fitness test or anything and it can cost a lot (cost me £50 but can cost up to £180 depending how nice your doctor is). The fitness test itself is just a 15 metre shuttle run bleep test, score 5.4 which should take you about 3 and a half mins
(edited 2 years ago)
Thanks for your reply

Hi @Oodlesofnoodles1,

That's great to hear that you are in your assessment process now to become a PC through the PCDA system.

Is there any questions you have at this moment in time about what is coming up or what you need to prepare for?

Glad to see that you are confident coming out of your Online Assessments so far!

Becky :smile:
Hi all,

I just had a quick question as to what happens after the vetting stage is completed?

I have passed all of the pre employment checks, and just yesterday the vetting for the PCDA

What happens after?

Many thanks x
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi, firstly well done to you great achievement. :awesome:

Next, the recruitment team will start to look at what available PCDA courses there are for you to join and that will also dictate in large part when you would join.

There is never harm in giving it a few days and asking that question directly of the recruitment team who are there to help.

Well done again, great work.:smile::smile::smile:

KP

Original post by P2P- Policing

Next, the recruitment team will start to look at what available PCDA courses there are for you to join and that will also dictate in large part when you would join.

There is never harm in giving it a few days and asking that question directly of the recruitment team who are there to help.

KP

Thank you very much, im extremely excited to get started!!

AND YES!! I will send them an email today, thank you for getting back to me so prompt, much appreciated 😊

Take care 🙂
Reply 13
Original post by Lewis_J02
Hi all,

I just had a quick question as to what happens after the vetting stage is completed?

I have passed all of the pre employment checks, and just yesterday the vetting for the PCDA

What happens after?

Many thanks x

Hey,

congrats on passing everything! Just wondering how long your vetting took roughly?

Thanks
Re vetting - I got asked to do my form yesterday.
I submitted but said it was "rejected" today because apparently I didnt' say if i had twitter or facebook...well I don't, so I said no. However when I looked on twitter i could see several accounts with my name on, one of which said "suspended". the last tweet on the account (i can see someone @ed it) was four years ago, so I can't tell why on earth it was suspended other than me reporting it myself as i couldn't login. I have told vetting this in a follow up email b ut just worried it'll look bad. Thanks!
Re vetting - I got asked to do my form yesterday.
I submitted but said it was "rejected" today because apparently I didnt' say if i had twitter or facebook...well I don't, so I said no. However when I looked on twitter i could see several accounts with my name on, one of which said "suspended". the last tweet on the account (i can see someone @ed it) was four years ago, so I can't tell why on earth it was suspended other than me reporting it myself as i couldn't login. I have told vetting this in a follow up email b ut just worried it'll look bad. Thanks!

The key to vetting is to ensure that you really rack your brains to answer all questions. The vetting team are fair and will understand mistakes or that accounts have been closed. Many young people accounts were started and discarded. However, the key is to make every detail on vetting forms accurate. Too much is better than missing things out. KP
The key to vetting is to ensure that you really rack your brains to answer all questions. The vetting team are fair and will understand mistakes or that accounts have been closed. Many young people accounts were started and discarded. However, the key is to make every detail on vetting forms accurate. Too much is better than missing things out. KP

Thanks. I also forgot to tell them that I had reported a crime online before so spoke to police in person. I didn't realise you had to put this I thought it was only if you were under investigation.

Do they look into all your family members or just your parents etc people you live with? My nan and grandad (grandad passed two years ago now) were involved in movements like the CND, CPGB in the 70s and 80s etc and my grandad was probably arrested a few times, I know he was once. He was an electrician and was doing work for some people and the national crime squad burst down the door and arrested them all for producing counterfeit cash (grandad just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, again this was like 70s or 80s). Would this stuff still even be in police records? It's never really crossed my mind to put it down as it asked about crimes I'm aware of and I'm not actually aware any crime has been committed with my grandparents, certainly they were never in prison charged or even cautioned as far as I'm aware.

I was in the local labour party and declared that on the form too.

KP

Hi,

Im planning on applying to pcda after my a levels,
how does the uni bit work as in, will i be working 4 days a week and 1 day of uni or does vary

Thank youu
Original post by Zoek1912
Hi,

Im planning on applying to pcda after my a levels,
how does the uni bit work as in, will i be working 4 days a week and 1 day of uni or does vary

Thank youu

Hi,

It works in blocks of time rather than one day a week. So you will spend time within the force for several weeks, then time at the university for weeks. All done in a manner that means your theoretical and practical knowledge advance at a similar pace. KP
Hi there,
Today I found out I passed the OAC for the police. (applying for the PCDA constable and Investigate first entry programme). I have been told the next stage is the senior interview - though not sure when this takes place. does anyone, with experience of the recruitment process, knows what this interview entails? How does it differ to the online one? Thanks

Hi, That is great news, firstly a massive well done for getting this far. A great achievement. The interview is done in force and is likely to ask you about the force, their values and consider how you present yourself via your answers. The key is to do your research on the force, know the exact geographical area they cover and what are their aims and objectives (all will be on their website). To get up to speed again with the Competencies and Values Framework that you would have been tested on during the online process. Consider this interview as the force having the opportunity to find out more about you, rather than completing the agreed national process.

Be punctual
Be smartly turned out
Be interesting
Be well researched on the force
Be confident
Be yourself
Be as relaxed as you can
Be considered in the way you answer questions

Hope that helps. KP

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending