Lotasaurus
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Im doing a-levels in the UK and I have been starting to think about where I want to go afterwards and I would really like to study in Europe , specifically in a Scandinavian country (maybe thinking about environmental science but I honestly don’t know yet.)

My parents don’t really want me too as I will be far away and they don’t think I can handle it that well, and they are quite strict, especially with these types of things. Its always been my dream to study abroad and I only live once. Im willing to learn any languages and learn cultures as it is something I love to do as well!

Should I do it? How can I convince my parents it is a good idea so they will let me do it? Would be a good place to study?

Thank you for reading and any replies are greatly appreciated ☺️
tbbt4
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lotasaurus)
Im doing a-levels in the UK and I have been starting to think about where I want to go afterwards and I would really like to study in Europe , specifically in a Scandinavian country (maybe thinking about environmental science but I honestly don’t know yet.)

My parents don’t really want me too as I will be far away and they don’t think I can handle it that well, and they are quite strict, especially with these types of things. Its always been my dream to study abroad and I only live once. Im willing to learn any languages and learn cultures as it is something I love to do as well!

Should I do it? How can I convince my parents it is a good idea so they will let me do it? Would be a good place to study?

Thank you for reading and any replies are greatly appreciated ☺️
Hiya, when I was doing my A-Levels, I too desperately wanted to study abroad to improve my linguistic skills with the hopes that I would one day get a job that requires me to travel around the world. However, my experience has been nothing like my expectations. I hate to be negative about this as you were as excited as I was, but the truth is that studying abroad is not as amazing as everyone tells you. Not one of my peers who have come with me to study abroad (10) has said they like it here (I am studying in Spain). We are all looking at options to return home as quickly as possible without damaging our degrees.

I was much like you in the sense that when I moved away for first year, I was not homesick at all and I enjoyed being away from family because it gave me the independence I wanted, but the reality is that not one expectation has been met when moving abroad. The standard of education is poor, people are extremely xenophobic, homesickness is very very real and is very painful for all of us. On top of that, the university does not care for foreign students and there is no student support at all, we are just told to "deal with it".

On top of that, the visa process is excruciatingly long, so much so that I have been trying to get one since August and still have not been successful.

Although I would recommend doing study abroad for the experience, I think it is always better to only do a semester, in case you have the same experience as I do (I am supposed to be here for two years). I hope this helps and sometimes it is good to listen to your parents .
Lotasaurus
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by tbbt4)
Hiya, when I was doing my A-Levels, I too desperately wanted to study abroad to improve my linguistic skills with the hopes that I would one day get a job that requires me to travel around the world. However, my experience has been nothing like my expectations. I hate to be negative about this as you were as excited as I was, but the truth is that studying abroad is not as amazing as everyone tells you. Not one of my peers who have come with me to study abroad (10) has said they like it here (I am studying in Spain). We are all looking at options to return home as quickly as possible without damaging our degrees.

I was much like you in the sense that when I moved away for first year, I was not homesick at all and I enjoyed being away from family because it gave me the independence I wanted, but the reality is that not one expectation has been met when moving abroad. The standard of education is poor, people are extremely xenophobic, homesickness is very very real and is very painful for all of us. On top of that, the university does not care for foreign students and there is no student support at all, we are just told to "deal with it".

On top of that, the visa process is excruciatingly long, so much so that I have been trying to get one since August and still have not been successful.

Although I would recommend doing study abroad for the experience, I think it is always better to only do a semester, in case you have the same experience as I do (I am supposed to be here for two years). I hope this helps and sometimes it is good to listen to your parents .
Hi thank you for your response
I have thought a lot about what you said and I think you are probably right. I haven't really thought about things such as visa and homesickness which will probably be a problem. I will probably look at a year abroad after a few years in uni instead!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (21)
8.61%
Okay (72)
29.51%
A bit lacking (91)
37.3%
Not good at all (60)
24.59%

Watched Threads