The Student Room Group

This discussion is no longer active so you won't be able to reply.Check out other Related discussions

How do I study/revise alevel English literature?

I've read all of my set texts a couple of times and have made notes on criticisms/contexts.
I'm doing distance learning and don't have anyone to mark essays I write so I'm wondering if there's any kind of online resources that allows me to revise essay technique/structure better?
Original post by b447m
I've read all of my set texts a couple of times and have made notes on criticisms/contexts.
I'm doing distance learning and don't have anyone to mark essays I write so I'm wondering if there's any kind of online resources that allows me to revise essay technique/structure better?

What exam board are you? If you’re OCR there’s some example essays in their website which are really helpful to work through. Plus if it is OCR I can offer some help too - I got an A* in my end of y12 Literature mock :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by louisecarter01
What exam board are you? If you’re OCR there’s some example essays in their website which are really helpful to work through. Plus if it is OCR I can offer some help too - I got an A* in my end of y12 Literature mock :smile:

I'm edexcel unfortunately :frown:
Original post by b447m
I'm edexcel unfortunately :frown:

Oh that’s a shame! Some general resources which are good across english lit a-level (regardless of exam board) are:

“Mr Bruff’s Guide to A-Level English Literature” (An amazing guide which acts as a general overview)

* I’ve also found the York Notes revision guides really good for the essay questions which assess context, as there’s lots of good specific info in there! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by username4729656

Hi!
I know this is a year later but I was wondering if you could help me please.
I'm doing OCR for english lit and I have my mocks coming up at the end of this month.
I'm doing twelfth night for Shakespeare and dystopia for paper 2 (1984 and The Handmaid's Tale are the texts we have studied).
Do you have any tips or revision techniques that would help? Or any revision resources? I'm struggling with how to write critical appreciations and don't really know how to achieve those top band responses.
Also if you have any ideas on how to structure my revision? At this point I've just been going through my books and making quote banks.
Reply 5
Original post by JKN123
Hi!
I know this is a year later but I was wondering if you could help me please.
I'm doing OCR for english lit and I have my mocks coming up at the end of this month.
I'm doing twelfth night for Shakespeare and dystopia for paper 2 (1984 and The Handmaid's Tale are the texts we have studied).
Do you have any tips or revision techniques that would help? Or any revision resources? I'm struggling with how to write critical appreciations and don't really know how to achieve those top band responses.
Also if you have any ideas on how to structure my revision? At this point I've just been going through my books and making quote banks.

hi, i'm not the person you responded to obviously but i'm doing the same exact exam board and exact same texts as you and i'd be happy to help you out! ocr english lit can be rough but i manage to achieve top bands. of course everyone revises differently but what has helped me immensely is kind of creating a generalised framework for a response to each question. i can pm you an example of this for example and a couple example essays too!! this makes sure you're kind of prepared for every question and don't struggle over how to order what you need to say, etc.

the first thing i would do if i was you is understand the spec and what each question really demands of you. for dystopia q1 -- the unseen -- this is ao2 and ao3. i made a quizlet with different world events for different decades which i can pm to you. it's pretty easy to remember and it helps to have a couple events ready for whatever decade the text is from. i can also pm you some examples i did of a* essays to see how to integrate context and balance it out with analysis of the text itself. basically to achieve top band for this question you need to analyse as much as you can and link as much of it to context as possible. structure, language, form, punctuation, tone, pov, etc.

for dystopia q2 its ao1, ao3, ao4 and ao5. ao3 needs to be consistently implemented. i think that's a thing a lot of people struggle with the most. at gcse you get used to infodumping context lol and it's kind of hard to know how to integrate it well at a-level, but basically you just have to find something contextual to link to every point. e.g. like 'orwell's portrayal of state-orchestrated marriage resembles the nazi lebensborn programme..' or even something offhand like 'atwood presents a regressive, puritanical society, inspired in part by puritan new england...' just make sure context is always central to your argument. for ao5, it's important in both papers not just to put it in but to engage with it. basically make sure you're understanding what they're saying and if you agree/disagree and how it links to YOUR argument. same thing with the ao5 in the twelfth night question!

another important thing is printing off exemplar essays from the ocr website and kind of analysing them. highlighting ao1, ao2, ao3, etc. and seeing how far they met them. maybe compare a lower band essay to a higher band to fully understand what nets top marks. examiner's reports are also really good. i compiled a list of comments examiners made that i can send to you if you want. also for revision, what has helped me is making flashcards for quotes, critics quotes, productions, context and themes all separately. then memorising these and using them to make quick essay plans. everyone revises differently, so this might not be as helpful to you, but this ensures you cover all aos and know enough for each question. again, i can send these too! i also have the 2022 past papers if you need them.

sorry for this offload of information lol, i just get how frustrating english was in yr 12. my teacher gave our class basically no guidance and it was super stressful. goodluck to you and lmk if you have any other questions!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ionlysaid
hi, i'm not the person you responded to obviously but i'm doing the same exact exam board and exact same texts as you and i'd be happy to help you out! ocr english lit can be rough but i manage to achieve top bands. of course everyone revises differently but what has helped me immensely is kind of creating a generalised framework for a response to each question. i can pm you an example of this for example and a couple example essays too!! this makes sure you're kind of prepared for every question and don't struggle over how to order what you need to say, etc.

the first thing i would do if i was you is understand the spec and what each question really demands of you. for dystopia q1 -- the unseen -- this is ao2 and ao3. i made a quizlet with different world events for different decades which i can pm to you. it's pretty easy to remember and it helps to have a couple events ready for whatever decade the text is from. i can also pm you some examples i did of a* essays to see how to integrate context and balance it out with analysis of the text itself. basically to achieve top band for this question you need to analyse as much as you can and link as much of it to context as possible. structure, language, form, punctuation, tone, pov, etc.

for dystopia q2 its ao1, ao3, ao4 and ao5. ao3 needs to be consistently implemented. i think that's a thing a lot of people struggle with the most. at gcse you get used to infodumping context lol and it's kind of hard to know how to integrate it well at a-level, but basically you just have to find something contextual to link to every point. e.g. like 'orwell's portrayal of state-orchestrated marriage resembles the nazi lebensborn programme..' or even something offhand like 'atwood presents a regressive, puritanical society, inspired in part by puritan new england...' just make sure context is always central to your argument. for ao5, it's important in both papers not just to put it in but to engage with it. basically make sure you're understanding what they're saying and if you agree/disagree and how it links to YOUR argument. same thing with the ao5 in the twelfth night question!

another important thing is printing off exemplar essays from the ocr website and kind of analysing them. highlighting ao1, ao2, ao3, etc. and seeing how far they met them. maybe compare a lower band essay to a higher band to fully understand what nets top marks. examiner's reports are also really good. i compiled a list of comments examiners made that i can send to you if you want. also for revision, what has helped me is making flashcards for quotes, critics quotes, productions, context and themes all separately. then memorising these and using them to make quick essay plans. everyone revises differently, so this might not be as helpful to you, but this ensures you cover all aos and know enough for each question. again, i can send these too! i also have the 2022 past papers if you need them.

sorry for this offload of information lol, i just get how frustrating english was in yr 12. my teacher gave our class basically no guidance and it was super stressful. goodluck to you and lmk if you have any other questions!

Firstly.
OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER.
MY TEACHER IS EXACTLY THE SAME.
Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
If you could pm the example essays and quizlets that would be great thank you.
Also have you done your A Levels or are you in Year 13?
Reply 7
Original post by JKN123
Firstly.
OH MY GOD THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU ARE A LIFE SAVER.
MY TEACHER IS EXACTLY THE SAME.
Thank you so much for the advice, I really appreciate it.
If you could pm the example essays and quizlets that would be great thank you.
Also have you done your A Levels or are you in Year 13?

hi, it's no problem!! and i'm still in yr 13. i'll pm you them now :smile:
Reply 8
please may u send them to me also?
Original post by ionlysaid
hi, it's no problem!! and i'm still in yr 13. i'll pm you them now :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by lily7747
please may u send them to me also?

sure, i think your messages are off atm though :smile:

Latest