Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi,
I’m in my first year at university and I’m really struggling with a number of things. I’m living with 9 flat mates (only one of them speaks to me) & I have only made one other friend since I’ve been there. My anxiety is getting worse by each day, and I have a history of self harm.. these feelings are starting to come back, especially after a long day at university. I feel like I’m going crazy in my flat and each day goes so slowly, I can just feel my mental health deteriorating but I don’t know who to turn to. I’ve recently been diagnosed with dyslexia and I’m feeling completely out of my depth in lectures and with submissions, but scared to ask my tutor anything incase she thinks I’m stupid. I can feel panic attacks coming on when I get asked a question in class and I don’t know the answer, but I just sit and hold all of my emotions in because I don’t want anyone (especially my tutor) to notice. I feel alone and anxious all day, everyday. Struggling with work / health / social life. Everyday I’m just waiting for it to be over whilst dreading waking up the next morning. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I’m really struggling right now.
Virgo123
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
Last edited by Virgo123; 3 weeks ago
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,
I’m in my first year at university and I’m really struggling with a number of things. I’m living with 9 flat mates (only one of them speaks to me) & I have only made one other friend since I’ve been there. My anxiety is getting worse by each day, and I have a history of self harm.. these feelings are starting to come back, especially after a long day at university. I feel like I’m going crazy in my flat and each day goes so slowly, I can just feel my mental health deteriorating but I don’t know who to turn to. I’ve recently been diagnosed with dyslexia and I’m feeling completely out of my depth in lectures and with submissions, but scared to ask my tutor anything incase she thinks I’m stupid. I can feel panic attacks coming on when I get asked a question in class and I don’t know the answer, but I just sit and hold all of my emotions in because I don’t want anyone (especially my tutor) to notice. I feel alone and anxious all day, everyday. Struggling with work / health / social life. Everyday I’m just waiting for it to be over whilst dreading waking up the next morning. Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I’m really struggling right now.
1. Try to be friends with your flat or seek to be mobed to another accom

2. Ensure your lectures know about your medical
situation if you wish
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
seek help from your tutor asap. They are not two-headed monsters, they will support you. Your uni will have a student well-being dept to support you. If you don't want to talk to your tutor, chat to the SU.
savethebears
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I know how you feel, I feel the same. But you can turn it around, ask to be moved to another accomodation, join a club or society, fake confidence, until you start to believe it. stop worrying about what other people think. good lucK!
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,
I'm sorry you're struggling. Everything feels quite overwhelming at the moment from what I'm reading, which probably makes everything so much more difficult to manage

As someone's who struggled during uni, I strongly suggest finding someone to talk to about your thoughts and feelings.
As hard as this may sounds, finding someone to talk to can do wonders for your mental and emotional health. If you're able to, maybe try to contact the health and wellbeing department at your uni and see what's available. Or, there's always IAPY or other mental health helplines just because it's important to speak to someone and feel listened to.
I'm sorry uni is a bit difficult, but I promise you, things will get easier with time. I think the first step is taking the courage to ask for help. Once you start to do this, asking for help in the future becomes much easier.
I used to fear asking for any kind of help and believed I needed to figure things out myself and I thought I was stupid for asking for help. It wasn't until someone told me that there's no such thing as a stupid question, but the only stupid question was the ones not asked.
The reality is, not asking for help when you know you need to only worsens your suffering, can be extremely detrimental to your health and potentially impact your academic performance.
Things may be hard now, but it's best to work on your struggles now before things will get easier with time. It's during these moments in your life when you learn the most about yourself and what you're capable of, so never give up and always remind yourself you're enough.

Something that might help you along the way is practicing mindfulness. Things like meditation, journaling, exercising, or practicing gratitude helps to centre yourself mentally, physically, and emotionally during times of stress. If you can, try to take some time out for yourself to work on yourself because your health is vital.

Don't be afraid of asking for help if it means you're getting somewhere. Don't let other people judge you and to be honest, it doesn't matter what other people are thinking. What's important is focusing on your priorities.

I hope that things get better with time.

Veronica
Student Ambassador
maisiex10x
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,

I honestly feel exactly the same as you, I literally can't relate to this post more. I'm in a flat of 12, and although they are lovely, they are just not my people apart from one girl whose v nice. I was very lucky that at home I had lots of friends, at uni I literally feel like I have nobody. The dyslexia thing I totally get, I am severely dyslexic, and feel stupid. I'm at a uni a good 5 hrs away from home, and sporadically decided to come back on Thursday eve, I hadn't been home yet but leave here on Tuesday morning and am dreading going back. It's only 3.5 weeks until Xmas and although I actually don't mind it most of the time, it's still nothing like the comfort of home. I'm hoping next term will be better, I know I just need to find my friends and then it will be okay (i hope!!) I havent been that homesick apart from 4 days in week 3, but worry I will be when I get back after going home for a bit x
petertyerman
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Are you in contact with your University disability support and have you got DSA part of a good DSA package and university support includes a mentor with dyslexia as well as study skills support for your dyslexia. In addition that they should be able to put you in touch with good mental health support. Having dyslexia at university means you have great deal extra do unless you get the support you need you are bound to be under greater pressure than your peers. This may become obvious in dealing with your shared flat occupants as they will not under understand the effects this can have on your interaction with them .
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
Hi,
Hi

It is so important you reach out for advice at the moment, i cannot stress this enough.
Your university should have a department for educational needs, they should support students with dyslexia, so i would contact your personal tutor about this for more information. They may be able to give you extra support with your studies to ensure you do the very best you can do. Do not be ashamed or embarrassed to use the services made available to you, they are there to support you and they would not hesitate to help without any haste or judgement.

Secondly, your university will have a wellbeing department, free for you to use. This could en tale counselling, motivational workshops and that sort of thing. You could drop them a line and see when they can help you.

Please don't struggle alone, you don't have to and i hope things get better for you!

Andrew
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (35)
9.62%
Okay (106)
29.12%
A bit lacking (135)
37.09%
Not good at all (88)
24.18%

Watched Threads