Is medication to stop your period free?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I really want to stop my period for good cos when I get cramps, it can be really bad sometimes like last night, I didn't get much sleep and woke with pain. It's gone now but I can't take this pain for the rest of my life. I'm only in my late twenties so it shouldn't really be this bad. If it's this bad now I dread ro think how bad it will be during my thirties, forties and fifties if I still have it and am still alive then. I wanna call my gp and tell them I don't want another period. Will the medication to stop my period be free? If it's not, I won't be able to afford it. Also I'm worried about seeing a doctor, I haven't had the covid vaccine and I'm worried they'd pressure me into having it when I really don't want it. If I do call my gp about this, will they make me go in to the gp practice or will it be over the phone and I'll be given a prescription that can be delivered as I really don't want to go to the chemist, the nearest one to me is in a rough area. I'm also worried about side effects of the medication, i don't want to gain weight or get really sick. I'm presuming they'd prescribe a contraceptive to stop the period. I've done a little research of them and alot of them say they're linked to cancer in the side effects and weight gain. Ugh! I wish there was a natural way to stop my period. I would get my whole reproductive system surgically removed but that would be a big operation which I don't want to risk.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Btw I'm not interested in ever having kids so I don't need to have a period
Anonymous #2
Report 6 months ago
Pretty sure u can get a free implant which will stop ur period
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
Most long term contraceptives stop periods for most women but yes risks of weight gain though you can avoid that by being careful what you eat.

Implant or injection every 12 weeks (depo) probably your best bet. Can do for short term until they fix your cramps? Maybe endometriosis?
gracieee16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
you can the pill but there are different types. combined pill is usually used for hormone issues or if you don't want a baby during sex but im not sure about the other pills. there are rings and other options. or you can have your ovaries taken out if you really don't want kids. i think you can do that. i got mine this morning outta no where and it made me feel sick couple days before and i threw up last night. yeah having them isn't fun so i get why you wanna get rid of them forever and as you don't want kids it doesn't necessarily matter you can get rid of them somehow from the GP and im sure it would be free. if you do it through the NHS.
Catherine1973
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
They don’t do sterilisation for young females just due to cramps. They would want you to go on a long term contraception first. In case you change your mind in having kids. I never have though but no desire to have ovaries removed and then go into early menopause.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
It's contraception so it will be free, yes. They will not deliver it to your house, you will have to pick the prescription up either from the surgery or they can send it to a pharmacy - it doesn't have to be the one closest to you, there will be other ones you can choose. I doubt they will have time to lecture you about the not having the vaccine tbh. As for side-effects, all medications have them, you just have to accept whether they outweighs the benefits of the medication for you. If you are not keen on contraception, you could ask for painkillers but they will not stop your periods (though bear in mind that contraception may not either, depending on what you are prescribes) and you will have to pay for those. May be worth speaking to a pharmacist about what you can get over the counter if you haven't tried over the counter stuff already.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Catherine1973)
They don’t do sterilisation for young females just due to cramps. They would want you to go on a long term contraception first. In case you change your mind in having kids. I never have though but no desire to have ovaries removed and then go into early menopause.
It's actually the uterus that would be removed so early menopause would not be an issue. Though of course they will not do this for someone in their twenties as you say.
Catherine1973
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
Ah yes I was one thinking I had an ovarian cyst and they removed one but not the whole lot so avoided menopause.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (105)
68.63%
No (31)
20.26%
I didn't use it to prepare (17)
11.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise