The Student Room Group

online friendship

okay so basically i’ve had this friend whom lives in a different part of the world to me , we met online three years ago and we have been good friend since then even though we’ve never met irl , we mainly communicate through snapchat has the language barrier is a bit difficult to text and call all the time , as in insecure person i don’t really talk to many people or send full face pictures of myself but they are very understanding about that , a couple of months into our friendship he had just gotten himself a girlfriend and i was very happy for him as he dealt with bad ones in the past , basically this girl seems to dislike me for being friends with him , we’ve never been more than friends but she seems to be worried that i’m going to take him from her which i won’t as it’s wrong and i view him more as a brother than anything, he once asked to see my outfit so i did it was just some baggy jeans and long hoodie nothing special or revealing his gf ended finding out and she got upset about it , i apologised profusely and made sure to never make the same mistake again as i never wanted to upset her so i went back to only sending half face pics or texts to my friend and everything was fine up until yesterday where i had sent a picture of my cat sitting in my knee to him as we often share pictures of our animals , his gf ended up seeing it and got upset as it had my leg in it she then got upset asking me to not send pictures of my body to him , i was very confused as all i sent him was a picture of my cat on my leg and you couldn’t really see it , i don’t know if i’m just overthinking but if anyone could tell me if i am a bad friend for doing this it would be very appreciated, thanks(sorry it’s so long i just wanted to not miss anything out)
Original post by Anonymous
okay so basically i’ve had this friend whom lives in a different part of the world to me , we met online three years ago and we have been good friend since then even though we’ve never met irl , we mainly communicate through snapchat has the language barrier is a bit difficult to text and call all the time , as in insecure person i don’t really talk to many people or send full face pictures of myself but they are very understanding about that , a couple of months into our friendship he had just gotten himself a girlfriend and i was very happy for him as he dealt with bad ones in the past , basically this girl seems to dislike me for being friends with him , we’ve never been more than friends but she seems to be worried that i’m going to take him from her which i won’t as it’s wrong and i view him more as a brother than anything, he once asked to see my outfit so i did it was just some baggy jeans and long hoodie nothing special or revealing his gf ended finding out and she got upset about it , i apologised profusely and made sure to never make the same mistake again as i never wanted to upset her so i went back to only sending half face pics or texts to my friend and everything was fine up until yesterday where i had sent a picture of my cat sitting in my knee to him as we often share pictures of our animals , his gf ended up seeing it and got upset as it had my leg in it she then got upset asking me to not send pictures of my body to him , i was very confused as all i sent him was a picture of my cat on my leg and you couldn’t really see it , i don’t know if i’m just overthinking but if anyone could tell me if i am a bad friend for doing this it would be very appreciated, thanks(sorry it’s so long i just wanted to not miss anything out)

it sounds like the girlfriend is very insecure (maybe she's had bad experiences in the past with people cheating) which you can't blame her for but it does sound like she might be overreacting. have you talked to the guy and said that you're only friends? Both he and you should reassure the girlfriend that you are only friends. If it does get really bad he might have to end up choosing between you both.
Reply 2
Original post by becca_sneyd
it sounds like the girlfriend is very insecure (maybe she's had bad experiences in the past with people cheating) which you can't blame her for but it does sound like she might be overreacting. have you talked to the guy and said that you're only friends? Both he and you should reassure the girlfriend that you are only friends. If it does get really bad he might have to end up choosing between you both.

yes when we first met i sat down with her alone on a call to let her know that we are only formers and is never do anything like that and i know he’s talked to her too , i know she is insecure and that’s why it upsets me bc i know how she feels but i just wish i could do more , they have had a couple of rough times together , i’ve told her to talk to him and set boundaries and let him she’s upset but she always pushes it away , i just worry that i’m the problem between them , thank you for you’re reply though it really helps , i really appreciate it.
Reply 3
yes when we first met i sat down with her alone on a call to let her know that we are only friends and we’ve never been more than that . i know he’s talked to her too , i know she is insecure and that’s why it upsets me bc i know how she feels but i just wish i could do more i feel like an absolutely horrible person , they have had a couple of rough times together , i’ve told her to talk to him and set boundaries and let him know she’s upset but she always pushes it away , i just worry that i’m the problem between them , thank you for your reply though it really helps , i really appreciate it.

so sorry for the spelling mistakes , but as i said thank you so much for your reply it means alot:smile:.
where is he from? and it's his responsibility to deal with her not you.
Reply 5
where is he from? and it's his responsibility to deal with her not you.

he is from denmark, and i know it’s his responsibility but i just can’t help but feel as though it’s my fault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending