Tort PQ 1st Tips

Watch this thread
StudiousStudentt
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Writing my first negligence PQ in Tort. Hoping for a 1st (I know, very ambitious). I was wondering if anyone had any tips e.g. headings for duty, breach, cause etc or certain cases I should be using. Anything would be appreciated, thank you
Pythian
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
In problem questions, you must always take every single fact given to you and analyse every-damn-thing. You need to be a detective combing through everything for implications and possibilities. I always take even the most innocuous fact and parse it.

For example, "John was getting fed-up of the constant bullying and name-calling at work. At 5pm, he decided to write a stern email to management about it; but changed his mind. On his way home, he saw his fellow employee Barack Obama. He shouted execrations at him. When Barack advanced on him, he turned to run in the opposite direction but twisted his ankle ... ".

Instead of just going through the tort in the usual way. Perhaps briefly write and discourse on the possibility if he had sent that email. What are the implications? Do you have any jurisprudence that might point to a different possibity. It doesn't matter - as far as the correct legal formulae is concerned - but you can at least show a deeper level of analysis and understanding. Most of best work involved this kind of analysis - I've even discussed jurisprudence of different legal systems. All of this from - at first glance - a fairly innocuous inconsequential fact. What if Obama was his manager - not his fellow employee? What if he was on the way to work - as opposed to leaving work? Would it have any effect?

General advice:
- Proof-read as many times as it takes until you can see nothing out-of-place. If you think you're done, then proof-read again one last time. It's worth every mark you can pick up. I wouldn't submit anything until I've proof-read it at least 10/15 times. It amazes me how often I spot stupid spelling/grammar mistakes despite having gone through the essay already loads of times. And, I flatter myself to think that I have good English.
- Focus on the fluency of your prose. I love conjunctions and make sure that sentences carry a thought effortlessly all the way through. It's hard to describe, but sentences often have an internal harmony or eutony. Avoid that awkward disjuncture in maladroit prose. Make the essay easy to read. My most enjoyable feedback is when the examiner remarks how easy my essay was to read.
- The best advice to become a good writer is to become a good reader. My favourite novelists all say the same thing. You must read a lot. Take journal article and observe how a writer carries an argument, how he/she weaves in examples and authorties, how he/she can contrast points etc... If you read a lot, you'll improve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (124)
67.76%
No (38)
20.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (21)
11.48%

Watched Threads