Deflating tyres on SUVs protest

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Protesters in Glasgow are deflating SUV tyres and putting fake penalty notices on the windscreens. This seems a really well aimed and sensible protest.

The fake penalty ticket says "your SUV contributes to the second biggest cause of carbon emissions rises in the last decade. This is why we have disarmed your car by deflating one or more of its tyres" - all true.

Brilliant protest! We need more of this kind of thing, it is the rich and well off upper middle class who contribute most to global warming.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-protest.html

Name:  SUV penalty.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  71.3 KB
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 weeks ago
Seems pretty reckless to tamper with vehicles in a way that affects safety tbh. Given the amount of car vandalism going on in Glasgow just now I could see anyone caught doing this getting a solid thrashing.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
(Original post by StriderHort)
Seems pretty reckless to tamper with vehicles in a way that affects safety tbh. Given the amount of car vandalism going on in Glasgow just now I could see anyone caught doing this getting a solid thrashing.
Maybe, I guess that's a risk you take when engaged in radical protest, but this one is precise and to the point.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Maybe, I guess that's a risk you take when engaged in radical protest, but this one is precise and to the point.
I can kind of get it, it's not an entirely new idea... but actually tampering with vehicles is deffo pushing it IMO. I'm not being melodramatic in saying there's a good chance you'd get beaten to a pulp/death if caught tampering with cars in certain parts of Glasgow tonight, community groups are up for making an example of people after a rash of (likely unrelated) thefts and vandalism and folk are out looking right now. Personally I drive a luxuryish car, and If I caught someone on the camera tampering with the wheels I would defend myself immediately and then call the police for what was left.

I see they've apparently went a bit further and started simply letting anyone's tyres down like common vandals...

COP26: Climate activists apologise for deflating tyres of Glasgow mum's car

I do feel somewhat odd quoting the scotsman
Last edited by StriderHort; 3 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
I can kind of get it, it's not an entirely new idea... but actually tampering with vehicles is deffo pushing it IMO. I'm not being melodramatic in saying there's a good chance you'd get beaten to a pulp/death if caught tampering with cars in certain parts of Glasgow tonight, community groups are up for making an example of people after a rash of (likely unrelated) thefts and vandalism and folk are out looking right now. Personally I drive a luxuryish car, and If I caught someone on the camera tampering with the wheels I would defend myself immediately and then call the police for what was left.

I see they've apparently went a bit further and started simply letting anyone's tyres down like common vandals...

COP26: Climate activists apologise for deflating tyres of Glasgow mum's car

I do feel somewhat odd quoting the scotsman
I got the impression they were in an affluent area of Glasgow, so perhaps the locals won't be rushing out with knuckle dusters and knives.

I could get it with SUVs but not with just random cars. These things often degenerate though.

There seems to have been quite a lot of police intimidation directed against lawful protesters by the way.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I got the impression they were in an affluent area of Glasgow, so perhaps the locals won't be rushing out with knuckle dusters and knives.

I could get it with SUVs but not with just random cars. These things often degenerate though.

There seems to have been quite a lot of police intimidation directed against lawful protesters by the way.
Where do you think the gangsters move to when they get a bit of £££?

I can't remember, are you from Glasgow? The reasonably affluent West End is VERY patchwork, you're never more than a lane away from something rougher or nicer. I work all over the city and know it well, it's honestly not a place I'd mess with cars.

I'd be sorry to hear of police suppression of lawful protest and believe these are issues worth taking a stand over.. but it's not related to this threads topic, which is an entirely unlawful protest... so by extension, making things worse for lawful protesters in the eyes of the community and law surely?

Pls don't get me wrong btw, I think the majority of SUV owners are selfish unreasonable prats buying for ego alone. I just think actively messing with cars is a double plus bad move now.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
Where do you think the gangsters move to when they get a bit of £££?

I can't remember, are you from Glasgow? The reasonably affluent West End is VERY patchwork, you're never more than a lane away from something rougher or nicer. I work all over the city and know it well, it's honestly not a place I'd mess with cars.

I'd be sorry to hear of police suppression of lawful protest and believe these are issues worth taking a stand over.. but it's not related to this threads topic, which is an entirely unlawful protest... so by extension, making things worse for lawful protesters in the eyes of the community and law surely?

Pls don't get me wrong btw, I think the majority of SUV owners are selfish unreasonable prats buying for ego alone. I just think actively messing with cars is a double plus bad move now.
I don't know Glasgow at all well, I've been there a few times around the university area which I think is where this was taking place, but happy to admit a lack of detailed knowledge.

There have been anti-SUV protests in past in places like W. London, but they went off the boil. I think people like XR should target them. It would be nice to see some blockading of Chelsea and Kensington.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't know Glasgow at all well, I've been there a few times around the university area which I think is where this was taking place, but happy to admit a lack of detailed knowledge.

There have been anti-SUV protests in past in places like W. London, but they went off the boil. I think people like XR should target them. It would be nice to see some blockading of Chelsea and Kensington.
The main Glasgow Uni parts of the West End form their own little huddle of land values and relative parking safety, but in all directions you're not even 1000m away from areas like Possill, Partick, Govan, Finnieston, Maryhill... places where you absolutely have folk coming out with a go with the knuckles and knives.

My worry is that protestors thinking they're just 'innocently'' letting a tyre down at no real cost get beat to pulp by people suspecting them of something more sinister which would not be proportionate.
the bear
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago

if i came across some woke numpty interfering with my car i would glue them to a badger
Barbu
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Brilliant protest! We need more of this kind of thing, it is the rich and well off upper middle class who contribute most to global warming.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-protest.html

Name:  SUV penalty.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  71.3 KB
Should have started with Biden's 80+ motorcade, not Auntie Louise taking young Charles to boarding school.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by the bear)
if i came across some woke numpty interfering with my car i would glue them to a badger
What's the poor badger done to deserve such treatment?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
That ought to go down well with all the gangster thugs and wannabe 'tough guys' of Glasgow. :lol:
I do hope that all jerks with similar agendas operating within the Uxbridge & South Ruislip never attempt any criminal damage or tampering upon my beloved Reginald Rover. :gasp:
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I agree that the protest is well aimed, with clear and explained intentions and justification.

However, what they are doing is illegal.
the bear
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tempest II)
What's the poor badger done to deserve such treatment?
:badger::auto:
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
Funnily enough 2 guys were scooped up by police a few streets away from me tampering with cars last night, they were caught by a good number of residents on video... as said, folk are pretty alert for car messing right now.
caravaggio2
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
When you see some of the pipe cleaner legged protesters knocking about and then see some of the meatheads that drive 4x4s it doesn't bare thinking about what the outcome would be if they caught them at it. They'd probably end up bent like a pretzel 😲
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
(Original post by 04MR17)
I agree that the protest is well aimed, with clear and explained intentions and justification.

However, what they are doing is illegal.
I think this thread is less well aimed. Worrying about a minor illegality of deflating tyres against a background of global emergency and the end of civilisation as we have known it.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I think this thread is less well aimed. Worrying about a minor illegality of deflating tyres against a background of global emergency and the end of civilisation as we have known it.
I'm worrying about the safety implications of tampering with the wheels of a heavy vehicle during dark and wet weather when there is a higher risk of deflated tyres causing an accident. I am genuinely surprised you simply don't consider this a factor worth consideration. What if they start cutting brake lines next week?

(In many cases you'd hope a driver saw the warning sign, but that could easily be blown away or otherwise removed, so I still consider it highly irresponsible)
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm worrying about the safety implications
Would be nice if SUV drivers thought about that before buying cars that make every other road user a little less safe. Seems a bit of a stretch anyway, how do you not notice a flat as soon as you start moving, plus most cars have sensors and warnings these days.
StriderHort
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by the beer)
Would be nice if SUV drivers thought about that before buying cars that make every other road user a little less safe. Seems a bit of a stretch anyway, how do you not notice a flat as soon as you start moving, plus most cars have sensors and warnings these days.
I agree it's a bit of a stretch, but it's still creating a hazard and I suspect it's the kind of thing these people won't consider and wouldn't be willing to take responsibility for if it happened.

As said, they were reported to be going after random cars also, so it's hard to believe they have much in the way of discipline or forward planning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (36)
9.86%
Okay (106)
29.04%
A bit lacking (135)
36.99%
Not good at all (88)
24.11%

Watched Threads