The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

University of Warwick asking for what I am doing during my gap year.

I applied for Accounting and Finance bsc and I did my A-levels this year. I am taking a gap year to apply to higher ranking universities. I submitted my application about 1 week ago.
They asked for a short summary on things I have done (I am doing short courses on Futurelearn, completing the last grade of a musical instrument and also learning a new language). Will they look at this summary like a personal statement? They only gave me 14 days to reply. Also by "short" statement how long do they mean?
Reply 1
I’m in the same boat as you, I did my A levels this year and I’m taking a gap year to get into a higher ranking uni (mainly Warwick/ Oxford). I sent my application on the 15th but they didn’t ask me for a summary😯?
Did you mention what you were going to/ already doing in your gap year within your personal statement? If not, that’s probably why?

I can’t talk from experience but I since the PS is 4000 characters, maybe a short summary should be around about 1000- 1500 so about 1/4 and abit of your PS? But obviously since there’s no word limit/ count you could probably get away with adding more if you needed.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by j.naija
I’m in the same boat as you, I did my A levels this year and I’m taking a gap year to get into a higher ranking uni (mainly Warwick/ Oxford). I sent my application on the 15th but they didn’t ask me for a summary😯?
Did you mention what you were going to/ already doing in your gap year within your personal statement? If not, that’s probably why?

I can’t talk from experience but I since the PS is 4000 characters, maybe a short summary should be around about 1000- 1500 so about 1/4 and abit of your PS? But obviously since there’s no word limit/ count you could probably get away with adding more if you needed.

Ah I did mention what I am doing now but I didn't put "in my gap year" so that's probably why🤔
Did they ask you to send a picture of your A-level certificates and your English Language GCSE certificate as well?
What course are you applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by rainbowpillow
Ah I did mention what I am doing now but I didn't put "in my gap year" so that's probably why🤔
Did they ask you to send a picture of your A-level certificates and your English Language GCSE certificate as well?

Yh that’s probably why. Did you mention all you gap year stuff in one paragraph towards the end or throughout your personal statement?
Also the only thing I’ve received from them is an email/ letter of acknowledgment that they’ve received my application, so maybe they might ask for that later down the line. But Yh since it’s achieve grades they probably will ask for a photo to prove it at some point.
I’m applying for PPE (politics, philosophy, economics)

Why would they need a photo of your certificates? They can access this information already and phots aren't proof [photoshop springs to mind].
Original post by j.naija
Yh that’s probably why. Did you mention all you gap year stuff in one paragraph towards the end or throughout your personal statement?
Also the only thing I’ve received from them is an email/ letter of acknowledgment that they’ve received my application, so maybe they might ask for that later down the line. But Yh since it’s achieve grades they probably will ask for a photo to prove it at some point.
I’m applying for PPE (politics, philosophy, economics)

I mentioned it throughout my personal statement (online courses, virtual experience and reading books related to my course).
What are you doing during your gap year? I feel like I'm not doing much tbh😶
Original post by Muttley79
Why would they need a photo of your certificates? They can access this information already and phots aren't proof [photoshop springs to mind].

I don't know either🤔
If they’re asking for a short summary, just write a paragraph or two and they’ll let you know if they need any more.

They’re just checking that you haven’t been enrolled at another uni during this period. They don’t really care about the details.
Reply 8
I mentioned it throughout my personal statement (online courses, virtual experience and reading books related to my course).

Fairly similar to you I started by upskilling in math by doing an online maths course, I also set out to learn French and Japanese since I have relatively more time on my hands. I’ve just recently got a job with a luxury hospital recruitment company but it’s just something to do to get some money and experience on the side before I (hopefully) begin my audit trainee contract with Grant Thornton next year
Reply 9

also don’t worry you’ve still got plenty of time before you actually start uni next year so you can find so many different things to do, whether it’s learning a new language or skill or doing a job etc. You said you’ve done work experience and online course so that’s already pretty good! Have you considered maybe doing tutoring? It’s a good way to get money on the whilst also gaining experience and refreshing you’re knowledge so you’re keeping up to date with your studies!
Original post by Admit-One
If they’re asking for a short summary, just write a paragraph or two and they’ll let you know if they need any more.

They’re just checking that you haven’t been enrolled at another uni during this period. They don’t really care about the details.

Does this need to be like a personal statement? Would they reject me if I did not write this short summary well?
So far I have just written what I am doing (virtual experience, online courses etc) but do I need to explain what I have learnt from it and how it will help me at university etc?
Does this need to be like a personal statement? Would they reject me if I did not write this short summary well?
So far I have just written what I am doing (virtual experience, online courses etc) but do I need to explain what I have learnt from it and how it will help me at university etc?

No, they’re literally just after a brief list of what you’ve been up to. You don’t need to reflect critically on them in the same way that you do in your PS. So long as you sound productive and it’s clear you’ve not been kicked out or struggling at another Uni, you’ll be fine.

I know someone in Warwick admissions so I’m pretty familiar with what they’re after.
Original post by Admit-One
No, they’re literally just after a brief list of what you’ve been up to. You don’t need to reflect critically on them in the same way that you do in your PS. So long as you sound productive and it’s clear you’ve not been kicked out or struggling at another Uni, you’ll be fine.

I know someone in Warwick admissions so I’m pretty familiar with what they’re after.

Thank you very much!
Original post by j.naija
Fairly similar to you I started by upskilling in math by doing an online maths course, I also set out to learn French and Japanese since I have relatively more time on my hands. I’ve just recently got a job with a luxury hospital recruitment company but it’s just something to do to get some money and experience on the side before I (hopefully) begin my audit trainee contract with Grant Thornton next year

Oh wow that sounds cool I'm learning Japanese too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending