The Student Room Group

Oxford 2022 entry for law

:smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by arlene1202
Hey everyone! I’m an international student and I applied to Balliol for law. Maybe I’ll start by introducing myself?
Predicted grades: equivalent of A*A*A
Subjects taken: Economics, geography, history
Super/extracurriculars: law summer schools, essay comp, mooting, chair of a school club, editor of school newspaper etc.
Other unis I’ve applied to: UCL, LSE etc
Anyone got the same choices? And has anyone been invited to interview?

hey, I'm not applying to Oxford but there's an official thread you might wanna join where these questions are answered!
I have no idea how to link it but here is the exact name:
[Official] Oxford Law Applicant Thread for 2022 entry
Hi, I got an offer from Keble for law today. Anyone else?
Original post by isabellaayers

Hi, I'm a Year 12 student thinking of applying to Law next year. I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about what you wrote in your PS and the sort of things you were asked in interviews?
Original post by isabellaayers

Congratulations, that’s incredible wow. I’m in Year 12 and hoping to apply to Oxford Law for 2023 entry. Do you have any advice on what to include in your PS and when/ how to being LNAT prep? Thanks for reading this.
Original post by mariposa17
Congratulations, that’s incredible wow. I’m in Year 12 and hoping to apply to Oxford Law for 2023 entry. Do you have any advice on what to include in your PS and when/ how to being LNAT prep? Thanks for reading this.

Hi, I know I’m not the person you asked but I have an offer to study law at Cambridge 2022 entry so I thought I could maybe help a bit.

Firstly, I recommend you apply to get a zero gravity mentor. I had one and she was amazing and I really don’t think I’d have got the offer without her help.

For the PS I would say make sure you add in extra stuff you’ve done that is law related. I did essay competitions, read books, online webinars and law work experience / summer school type programs. Make sure you focus on why you want to study law rather than being a lawyer. Might be nice to have a unique angle or theme that isn’t common eg books like eve was framed and the secret barrister are very common so admissions tutors will read about them lots. I would say do 10% of the word count on extra curriculars and try and link them back to law eg skills like critical thinking or close analysis or studying in general eg organisation, time management etc. And make sure everything you say is true and you are prepared to talk about anything you’ve written. Also avoid cliques like quotes and from a young age.

For the LNAT I would read the chapter in letters to a law student if you can as it gives a good overview and good structure for the essay part. Then I tried to read the news and did lots of practise questions (just planning as I do lots of essays for college anyway). Then for the MCQ I did loads of practise papers timed and a tip I found helpful was to read the whole passage before answering the questions as you need to understand the whole thing before trying to answer.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to message me :smile:
Thanks so much for your response.
I’ve applied for a zero gravity mentor, but I think it takes some time to get matched. So far I’ve got WEx at a law firm and shadowing with a criminal barrister for a week each. I’ve got a residential at Oxford in april a day at Cam and have applied for a taster day and summer school. I’ve done an essay competition and only got a commendation and haven’t really read much outside of counsel articles and the odd journal article. My fave bit of law I’ve read about so far is environment and also intellectual property, so was just wondering if you had any book recs around this? Obviously I try and do as much as I can and apply for every opportunity and will hopefully get a couple more work experiences over Summer but just wanted to ask if you think this seems reasonable so far to apply, as much as I would love to go, I don’t want to invest the time if I have no chance of an offer. Sorry for the long message and thanks again.
I’ve applied for a zero gravity mentor, but I think it takes some time to get matched. So far I’ve got WEx at a law firm and shadowing with a criminal barrister for a week each. I’ve got a residential at Oxford in april a day at Cam and have applied for a taster day and summer school. I’ve done an essay competition and only got a commendation and haven’t really read much outside of counsel articles and the odd journal article. My fave bit of law I’ve read about so far is environment and also intellectual property, so was just wondering if you had any book recs around this? Obviously I try and do as much as I can and apply for every opportunity and will hopefully get a couple more work experiences over Summer but just wanted to ask if you think this seems reasonable so far to apply, as much as I would love to go, I don’t want to invest the time if I have no chance of an offer. Sorry for the long message and thanks again.

Truthfully, you will have a chance, but nothing is guaranteed with the level of competition. You might as well put in all the effort you can so you don't have any regrets.

For the LNAT I would just say practice, practice, practice (especially the essay section).
For the personal statement I’d say don’t be afraid to make it ‘personal’ I had a teacher at school keep trying to take anything I really wanted to say that showed my interest, out of it and the people who did as he said didn’t get interviews. Basically…really tell them WHY your passionate. Analyse an area of interest and use super curricular activities you’ve done to demonstrate how that has developed

You definitely have a chance!! Go for it! It’s a lot of effor but it’s worth it and if you don’t get in, it will have only made your other applications stronger.

As far as book recs go, I didn’t do much on that so topic so I’m not sure. But I did so some animal rights and found sruff on Amazon so maybe look there. Remember also to say what you leaned from it so I would say after you do each experience write down what you learned and what you enjoyed so you have a record then when you come to write your ps you have meaningful things to say!!

Yes zero gravity took a while to come bakc to me too! Also be mindful who you take advice from on the ps as I showed mine to lots of teachers, as I was told to, abs I got so much conflicting feedback so be mindful of that.

Any more qs I’m happy to try and help!
Original post by Bethanybarratt
Hi, I know I’m not the person you asked but I have an offer to study law at Cambridge 2022 entry so I thought I could maybe help a bit.

Firstly, I recommend you apply to get a zero gravity mentor. I had one and she was amazing and I really don’t think I’d have got the offer without her help.

For the PS I would say make sure you add in extra stuff you’ve done that is law related. I did essay competitions, read books, online webinars and law work experience / summer school type programs. Make sure you focus on why you want to study law rather than being a lawyer. Might be nice to have a unique angle or theme that isn’t common eg books like eve was framed and the secret barrister are very common so admissions tutors will read about them lots. I would say do 10% of the word count on extra curriculars and try and link them back to law eg skills like critical thinking or close analysis or studying in general eg organisation, time management etc. And make sure everything you say is true and you are prepared to talk about anything you’ve written. Also avoid cliques like quotes and from a young age.

For the LNAT I would read the chapter in letters to a law student if you can as it gives a good overview and good structure for the essay part. Then I tried to read the news and did lots of practise questions (just planning as I do lots of essays for college anyway). Then for the MCQ I did loads of practise papers timed and a tip I found helpful was to read the whole passage before answering the questions as you need to understand the whole thing before trying to answer.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to message me :smile:

Hi congrats on your offer! If you don’t mind me asking what were your stats?
Original post by sofiavxx
Hi congrats on your offer! If you don’t mind me asking what were your stats?

Hi,

I am predicted A*A*A in English lit, psychology and history and i got 31 on the LNAT (wasn't needed for Cam when I applied but will be starting from this year)

Quick Reply