I'm not sure if I have ADHD

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I don't really know how to start...but basically i think I might have ADHD...I have always had trouble concentrating at school, and i constantly forget things... i also have trouble listening and following conversations...and often say things without thinking about it...I have always done well at school, because when I was younger my parents would constantly make me do loads of work under timed conditions and stuff... to be fair I used to really enjoy it sometimes...and would spend hours doing random maths problems etc....but now my parents don't help me as much I'm always struggling with organisation and it's getting harder to stay on top of things...I'll sit down to revise for biology ..for example.. .and then suddenly I'll be looking at a medical journal, that has nothing got to do with our syllabus...I'm 15..which i know is late to get ADHD diagnosed..but my parents have a couple of issues with the possibility of me having ADHD...first my cousin who is older than me, and male, got told he MAY have SLIGHT adhd when he was really young, he doesn't do well in school..and my parents think that because I do well in school I can't have ADHD... also they feel like everyone would have ADHD if I did...so it would really hard for me to be diagnosed...and if I do have adhd I don't know if it would even be worth it....as I don't think my parents would let me take medication...I'm really sorry this is so long...but I would really appreciate any advice...thank you
pensive06
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don't really know how to start...but basically i think I might have ADHD...I have always had trouble concentrating at school, and i constantly forget things... i also have trouble listening and following conversations...and often say things without thinking about it...I have always done well at school, because when I was younger my parents would constantly make me do loads of work under timed conditions and stuff... to be fair I used to really enjoy it sometimes...and would spend hours doing random maths problems etc....but now my parents don't help me as much I'm always struggling with organisation and it's getting harder to stay on top of things...I'll sit down to revise for biology ..for example.. .and then suddenly I'll be looking at a medical journal, that has nothing got to do with our syllabus...I'm 15..which i know is late to get ADHD diagnosed..but my parents have a couple of issues with the possibility of me having ADHD...first my cousin who is older than me, and male, got told he MAY have SLIGHT adhd when he was really young, he doesn't do well in school..and my parents think that because I do well in school I can't have ADHD... also they feel like everyone would have ADHD if I did...so it would really hard for me to be diagnosed...and if I do have adhd I don't know if it would even be worth it....as I don't think my parents would let me take medication...I'm really sorry this is so long...but I would really appreciate any advice...thank you
First off, academic ability has nothing to do with ADHD. Many of the things you experience are similar to me, I am also 15 and I do the same thing, I would go off topic and do random problems irrelevant or read up on something completely unrelated to what we're doing, and just like you I suspect I may have ADHD as well. Suspecting is okay, just be sure to never self-diagnose. The best advice for you is to see a clinical psychologist or GP and get diagnosed, but even then it can be hard because mental health is such a dynamic and fluid topic that is individual to everyone. Just know that either way it won't hinder your academic ability and so long as there aren't damaging symptoms you should not need to worry.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Thank you so much for replying....I have done a lot of research into ADHD...and I myself am aware that ADHD and academic ability aren't related, but my parents seem to find this hard to understand...also it's great to hear that there's someone like me who thinks they might have ADHD, most people I know who have ADHD have diagnoses....and I sometimes worry if i don't do anything about it it wil only get harder...so thank you so much!
pensive06
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you so much for replying....I have done a lot of research into ADHD...and I myself am aware that ADHD and academic ability aren't related, but my parents seem to find this hard to understand...also it's great to hear that there's someone like me who thinks they might have ADHD, most people I know who have ADHD have diagnoses....and I sometimes worry if i don't do anything about it it wil only get harder...so thank you so much!
No problem, I wish you well
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
See your GP.
Blahblahblahbla7
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
Omg hi. I think we may be the same person. I’m also really struggling on how to try and get a diagnosis. I. Can’t offer much advice but know your not alone and maybe talk to a teacher you trust
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (266)
42.42%
The paper was reasonable (260)
41.47%
Not feeling great about that exam... (56)
8.93%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
7.18%

Watched Threads