The Student Room Group

How’s it like being raised without religion

Scroll to see replies

Religion in my family ruined my life, well not religion specifically but my mom
I am from a small village in East Europe. As a kid I knew that religions exist. I am pretty sure that I haven't met a religious person until my early 20'. That was in Luton, when I landed in the UK. Saw two women in burqas with their owner, looking a like wizard from a fairy tale. Thought that they were wearing costumes, thought that this was long gone.
We had Christmases, Easters, etc, it just never had any religious undertone.
their owner?
No different than being raised with Religion? Everybody is brought up with some kind of belief system and/or values - the only distinction that separates the two categories is that one places faith in the supernatural whereas the other doesn't, which is an irrelevant point regarding quality of life. If you had a bad experience with Religion growing up, it'll be because of the way it was treated, rather than because of any inherent problem with such a belief system.
Reply 24
Original post by zxinab_xxx
You know i read a quote the other day that said exactly why non believers got good things and why we sometimes struggle more. It explained it so well and made me feel really grateful and happy. If i can find it which i will try to - i will write it on here and i know u must here this a lot (and is sick and tired of hearing it) but trust me everything happens for a reason. It is already written and it says that Allah challenges those he loves the most and also as a test - i know u maybe dont believe in this anymore so thats why i dont want to try to explain it bc it feels like i am forcing it on u

That’s very thoughtful and kind of you to say. No, there’s no forcing there at all, my faith is indeed at an all-time low but what you say is still very important and I’m sure you will be able to help others :smile:

I suppose what I’m trying to ask is - does religion and being religious or having a religious belief make you live a better life - better meaning happiness, contentment, success, money etc. etc. because I found that while it did give me some happiness I wasn’t successful because of what I experienced after Umrah.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm from a hindu family but I don't think we are the most religious - i.e we go to the major pujas in our bengali culture etc but it isn't discussed too much at home, it's more for the event imo. So, as a result, I've basically grown up without religion and I would say I am an atheist because whilst I love the cultural things we do and I would completely embrace it in the future and expose any future children to my culture, I don't believe in the actual religion. I would say it works pretty well for me because we don't actually really need religion to live.

A few posters have mentioned that they got morals from their religious upbringing and whilst that may be the case it is sort of problematic to think that without religion people would have no morals. Once in my RS GCSE class a guy asked me if I was an atheist and, after I said I was, he immediately asked me if that meant I have no morals. That honestly just made me worry for people's upbringing because teaching your kids that without religion people are essentially bad and worthy of suffering for eternity is clearly not the best thing in the world.

I also realise that religion does help loads of people and has many positives but it is just my opinion that we don't really need it anymore as the world progresses. Before it was used as explanations for the world etc but nowadays we have a phenomenal amount of scientific knowledge and we are much better equipped to start to uncover the major questions, and in some cases eg w the big bang theory and evolution, we are very nearly there. And I think the targeting of grieving people by religions, which has been mentioned in this thread, is awful and I really don't see the point. My position probably seems sort of extreme so I just want to say that I completely respect all religions I just don't like how in some cases it can cause a lot of harm and bigotry etc. As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't hurting anyone/yourself with your beliefs it doesn't bother me; I just don't have the need for religion in my life :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest