The Student Room Group

Episode 2 - Game music to power up your energy levels!

Volume 2 of Gameplay is all about music that makes you feel energetic! :dumbells:

This week, our host Baby Queen mixes a powerful playlist featuring tracks from Dead by Daylight, The Last of Us, Portal, and many more~

Listen to Volume 2 here (available from 02:00, Saturday 13/11/21)

Which gaming soundtracks make you feel ready to face anything?

I'll start off with an obscure mid 90s PC game - Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall, an isometric RPG which sees you try to save the inhabitants of the land of Kyan from being turned into giant insects, while struggling to avoid the same fate yourself! A soundtrack like this is just what you need to drown out the skittering and buzzing, and focus on the task at hand.

What's yours? :biggrin:

[video="youtube;PVAJgoGxhbc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVAJgoGxhbc[/video]
(edited 2 years ago)
Still haven't had the chance to listen to the episode, but will do so later tonight. :yes: In the meantime, here's some more energising game music:

[video="youtube;vtvtZT-PXGk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtvtZT-PXGk[/video]
Just starting it now, thoughts to follow in about an hour! :yay:
Starting off with Gusty Gardens from Super Mario Galaxy; quite relaxing at first, almost the opposite of what I expected from the theme, but it got there eventually!

Fran Bow music next... I've actually played this one! :zomg: Great game, but the music didn't stick with me. Creepy and atmospheric, but not something that I'd listen to on its own.

The tracklist in the previous episode had an indicator showing which songs were playing; this indicator is notably absent from ep 2, which is a real shame since Baby Queen doesn't always say something between tracks. I *think* we've moved on to 'My Friends' from Spiritfarer, certainly doesn't sound like Fran Bow. Doesn't sound energetic either, but I guess people's tastes may vary. Many different, distinct parts, presumably representing different 'friends'?

Have we moved on to The Witcher 3 track now, or is this just a dramatic segment of Spiritfarer? No, if I had to guess, we just hit Geralt of Rivia at about the 13:30 mark, as this is very different. Or we could be in Dead by Daylight now. Seriously, they'd better bring that 'now playing' indicator back for ep 3, I like to know what I'm listening to! :grumble: [EDIT] Thank you Baby Queen for confirming it was Geralt of Rivia, let's see how long I can go without missing a transition!

Dead by Daylight theme is some spooky stuff. Sounds more sombre than energetic to me. :dontknow:

Suddenly drums, so I assume new track? The Last of Us - Head Rush. Probably the first piece of music so far that I'd agree could make me feel pumped.

Less percussion, more woodwind, so I'm assuming that Ghost of Tsushima - A Reckoning in Blood started at about 23:20? Also pretty dramatic once it got going.

Definitely easier to notice the change to Lumino City - The Park at ~27:42. The odd clicking noises weren't to my tastes.

Road 96 - Raindrops on a Car Window is the most relaxing and de-energising sound possible. :hmmmm2:

Think we hit Monster Hunter Rise at 33:10. Nice track, but no more than a 3/10 on the energy scale. Did I misinterpret the theme? :laugh:

Chopin's Waltz in E-Flat major next. Hopefully Baby Queen will name the game at the end, since this presumably wasn't composed specially for it. :p: Great music, but I'm not feeling especially pumped. :no: [EDIT] Eternal Sonata, apparently all about Chopin. :ms:

Resident Evil Village - Eradicating Evil. Dark operatic sounds, THIS IS MORE LIKE IT. :yy:

Definite transition into It Takes Two - Deeply Rooted at ~46:40. New game, released earlier this year. Not a bad track at all, built up to a very dramatic climax!

Music from the game Florence next. I recognise the composer Kevin Penkin, from his anime OSTs (Tower of God, Made in Abyss), but also some of his game music from This is the Police 2 (he's actually a playable character in that)! This track isn't on quite the same level as some of his other works, IMO.

Think we switched to Chrono Trigger, bit more dramatic.

And we end with a track from Portal. 'Your Not a Good Person', according to the track list. YOUR. :yucky: And no, the track title isn't supposed to be spelled like that. Very different to the previous tracks, I like it.

Overall, good episode with good music (even if it did feel off-theme at times), but I hope they fix whatever's wrong with the track list for next time!
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah, that's more my idea of 'music to make you feel pumped'!
Nier automata's soundtrack is so good.
No Connection - Burnin' (one of many energetic tracks from the racing game FlatOut)

[video="youtube;1gyumgBB6qM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gyumgBB6qM[/video]
This one's from the Olympics!

and a cover:

Anything from DOOM '16/DOOM Eternal
Danganronpa tracks, definitely.. specifically investigation and debate themes from SDR2. Portal 2 has quite a few tracks which are good to think to too, definitely inclined to say stuff from Deltarune as well. Oh, loads of Sonic osts too! Those in specific are really good for motivation.
Touhou. Lots of great remixes out there too.
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Volume 2 of Gameplay is all about music that makes you feel energetic! :dumbells:

This week, our host Baby Queen mixes a powerful playlist featuring tracks from Dead by Daylight, The Last of Us, Portal, and many more~

Listen to Volume 2 here (available from 02:00, Saturday 13/11/21)

Which gaming soundtracks make you feel ready to face anything?

I'll start off with an obscure mid 90s PC game - Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall, an isometric RPG which sees you try to save the inhabitants of the land of Kyan from being turned into giant insects, while struggling to avoid the same fate yourself! A soundtrack like this is just what you need to drown out the skittering and buzzing, and focus on the task at hand.

What's yours? :biggrin:

[video="youtube;PVAJgoGxhbc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVAJgoGxhbc[/video]

OG Doom really fist the game and get you pumped to kill some demons.
Reply 13
Love Sonic sega series music.
Original post by journeyaway
Touhou. Lots of great remixes out there too.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest